Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  59
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day Round 21, 2017 - Western Bulldogs V GWS Giants

I'm still filthy on Greene for what he did. I hate the 'if it was another player would it change your view' argument. Simply thats rubbish because no other player has ever done that & that says a lot about Greene! He is without doubt the dirtiest player of the modern era. There is no doubt in my mind it was a deliberate act. You're talking about a guy who still maintains he was trying to punch the ball in the Daniel incident last time we played them.
    He is a filthy mongrel & always looking for ways to get around the rules to still hurt players & i can't think of another player who has ever done this.
    Part of his punishment should be to drop him off in the middle of Whitten Oval & let us members pay the club for a crack. I'd be first in line & would be happy to pay 4 figures to get a piece.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still digesting Nathan Brown saying a boot to the face is no different to a foot in the back, and Chris Judd claiming it is a natural part of jumping. Must be why it happens every game.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    I'm still filthy on Greene for what he did. I hate the 'if it was another player would it change your view' argument. Simply thats rubbish because no other player has ever done that & that says a lot about Greene! He is without doubt the dirtiest player of the modern era. There is no doubt in my mind it was a deliberate act. You're talking about a guy who still maintains he was trying to punch the ball in the Daniel incident last time we played them.
    He is a filthy mongrel & always looking for ways to get around the rules to still hurt players & i can't think of another player who has ever done this.
    Part of his punishment should be to drop him off in the middle of Whitten Oval & let us members pay the club for a crack. I'd be first in line & would be happy to pay 4 figures to get a piece.
    Leigh Matthews did but I can't think of too many others who instead of thinking "try not to hurt other players" think "I can hurt this guy" as Greene must.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I'm still digesting Nathan Brown saying a boot to the face is no different to a foot in the back, and Chris Judd claiming it is a natural part of jumping. Must be why it happens every game.
    If the MRP lets this go, then it should be open slather for every footballer to stick a boot into someone's face.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If the MRP lets this go, then it should be open slather for every footballer to stick a boot into someone's face.
    I understand that many are upset about it and understand why, but this kind of comment doesn't help the argument.

For starters the above comment is as if players are now going to be running around sidekicking eachother in the face.

What Greene did is a mostly natural motion when jumping in our game. It is both a way to balance yourself as your body tilts backwards as you reach for the ball, and it is also an approved blocking technique in marking contests players typically use when a player is coming at them from in front.

Yes I acknowledge it wasn't a marking contest, and his boot was higher than would normally happen, but his leg was always straight, it wasn't excessively high, Dahlhaus' height and the fact he crouches over when he runs made him lower than normal and Greenes eyes were for the ball.

It is a freekick for mine, but not suspension or possibly even fine worthy. Any other player and I wouldn't question their intent, Greene has lost the benefit of the doubt by now but even then I'm putting this down to an unfortunate moment.

I imagine the AFL will now bring something out where if contact involving an outstretched leg or foot results in injury then it is punishable, in line with many of their other consequence rather than intent orientated rules.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I understand that many are upset about it and understand why, but this kind of comment doesn't help the argument.

For starters the above comment is as if players are now going to be running around sidekicking eachother in the face.

What Greene did is a mostly natural motion when jumping in our game. It is both a way to balance yourself as your body tilts backwards as you reach for the ball, and it is also an approved blocking technique in marking contests players typically use when a player is coming at them from in front.

Yes I acknowledge it wasn't a marking contest, and his boot was higher than would normally happen, but his leg was always straight, it wasn't excessively high, Dahlhaus' height and the fact he crouches over when he runs made him lower than normal and Greenes eyes were for the ball.

It is a freekick for mine, but not suspension or possibly even fine worthy. Any other player and I wouldn't question their intent, Greene has lost the benefit of the doubt by now but even then I'm putting this down to an unfortunate moment.

I imagine the AFL will now bring something out where if contact involving an outstretched leg or foot results in injury then it is punishable, in line with many of their other consequence rather than intent orientated rules.
    If it's mostly natural, why don't more players get kicked in the face?
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    If it's mostly natural, why don't more players get kicked in the face?
    Perfect storm of an upright jump, Dahlhaus coming in low, timing, positioning, all that shit.

I'm saying he didn't really do anything a normal player wouldn't, that action happens all the time, it is just very rare for it to happen like that.

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard a number of ex media scribes say, "but he had eyes for the ball", I call that defence crap. Greene received a handball, and knew he was going to get crunched by Dahl with a tackle, so he stretched his foot out to stop Dahl. You don't think he has peripheral vision to see a player rushing at him? You can't kick a player in the face with your studs open - full stop. Just like when players accidently bump someone in the head and these days it is not just a free kick, but also a suspension.

Greene could easily have bent his knee for protection, but his sole purpose was to stop the tackle, however, he did that with no due care for the other player, totally unnecessary to stretch his leg. Take a closer look.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes AndrewP6, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have heard a number of ex media scribes say, "but he had eyes for the ball", I call that defence crap. Greene received a handball, and knew he was going to get crunched by Dahl with a tackle, so he stretched his foot out to stop Dahl. You don't think he has peripheral vision to see a player rushing at him? You can't kick a player in the face with your studs open - full stop. Just like when players accidently bump someone in the head and these days it is not just a free kick, but also a suspension.

Greene could easily have bent his knee for protection, but his sole purpose was to stop the tackle, however, he did that with no due care for the other player, totally unnecessary to stretch his leg. Take a closer look.
    That's what I'm saying with my last bit. Along the line with all the other AFL rules where if the player gets injured accept the consequences, if not play on.

But as it stands there is no rule for this particular scenario other than high contact, which the free was paid for.

As for the rest I agree with you, he did put his foot out to stop Dahlhaus. But that was not an unreasonable or necessarily malicious action, and the resulting impact while unfortunate was not necessarily deliberate.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I'm saying with my last bit. Along the line with all the other AFL rules where if the player gets injured accept the consequences, if not play on.

But as it stands there is no rule for this particular scenario other than high contact, which the free was paid for.

As for the rest I agree with you, he did put his foot out to stop Dahlhaus. But that was not an unreasonable or necessarily malicious action, and the resulting impact while unfortunate was not necessarily deliberate.
    There is a rule, the head must be protected. Dahl received a staple to his face.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a rule, the head must be protected. Dahl received a staple to his face.
    And he got a free for it. As he should have.

Post Thanks / Like

This is rubbish soupaman! in 30 odd years of watching this game i've never seen a player jumping up to receive a handball lift his leg up like that. Now i now Greene is a super player but you can't tell me he has super jumping skills & was jumping higher to receive a handball then any other player in the history of the game? I ask you how is this a natural act when no other player has ever done this?

I have seen a lot of hospital handballs in my time & have never seen this happen. If he gets off you can bet on it that every player who is jumping to receive a hospital handpass will be kicking people in the chest so they don't give away a free kick for high contact. I don't want to see that rubbish in our game.

15. Likes AndrewP6, hujsh, westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I propose an argument that putting your foot into someone's face to stop them is completely unreasonable (and highly reckless, and extremely dangerous).

17. Likes anfo27, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And he got a free for it. As he should have.
    How many suspensions have there been for hitting a player in the head? Plenty, these days it is not just a free kick anymore. I am not talking about the hit that does little damage, I am talking where blood is drawn, concussion etc Don't forget the umpire has reported him, so it wasn't just a free kick.

Anyway, we will find out tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I hope that our fan that tipped the beer over Greene gets a long ban from attending AFL games. Weak act
    Why waste a good beer on that scum