Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  59
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day Round 21, 2017 - Western Bulldogs V GWS Giants

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Here's a vexing question. If Greene gets off he will be pivotal in helping GWS overcome West Coke, which we desperately need in order to keep our finals hopes alive. It is actually a disadvantage to us if Greene cops a week for his Jackie Chan impersonation.

Do we want Greene to get off?
    yep, I want him to pay for what he did, he is a little turd and shouldn't get away with it.

PS: West coke has no chance.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Do we want Greene to get off?
    We probably do. We'd probably like to play with 19 men as well, but it's against the rules. You can't kick a bloke in the face
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

He'll be better for the run - he needed the hitout in order to get him some valuable match time for the coming weeks. Also there was no VFL game on so there was no option to get some game time at the lower level - probably why we rushed Dunkley into the senior team after only 1 VFL game.

It failed on Friday night but coming in cold against Port might have failed as well.
    Footscray having the bye this weekend was a real impediment.

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Gee thanks for putting a dampener on me wanting Greene to get 8 weeks

My answer to your question is no because I hate GWS, I hate Greene and us making the finals is probably a stretch anyway.
    Our best result is Greene getting weeks and GWS being so fired up about it that they blow West Coast away.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    This is a normal action and always straight?

What's he looking at in the fourth frame? He has taken his eyes off the ball the for a start and his boot is still in Dahl's face. His head is turned and you an see his right eye
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    yep, I want him to pay for what he did, he is a little turd and shouldn't get away with it.

PS: West coke has no chance.
    If he gets suspended, I want 4 weeks minimum - the AFL will hate the optics and I reckon they'll want to make a statement "for the good of the game". On the flipside I'd hate for him to get 1 week only, and would prefer he got nothing to be honest. Him playing next week will be more helpful to the Dogs.

Philosophically, I think he should get mutiple weeks - you just cannot condone the action of raising the foot to the head in open play.

PS - WC beat GWS at Spotless in the corresponding round last year. It's not impossible especially with Greene out of the side - he might be a prick but he is an absolute jet of a player.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst I agree with MJP that Redpath and Cloke are just ordinary footballers, I also think the ability of our mids you mention are really below par. They may get a lot of the ball, but the delivery to the forwards as well as around the ground are pathetic to say the least. We have known this all year, and there is not much we can do about it, other than get them to practise, practise, practise.
    But since we KNOW this, why pick a forward line with players who are incapable of applying any kind of pressure on the way out (let alone picking the ball up off the deck and kicking a second chance score). You don't have to think back too far to a forward line that was outsized but had players who genuinely wanted to keep the ball in - Cordy, Picken, TM, Dunkley...we are so far from that team I know but selecting BOTH Cloke and Redpath is not helping.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

6. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    But since we KNOW this, why pick a forward line with players who are incapable of applying any kind of pressure on the way out (let alone picking the ball up off the deck and kicking a second chance score). You don't have to think back too far to a forward line that was outsized but had players who genuinely wanted to keep the ball in - Cordy, Picken, TM, Dunkley...we are so far from that team I know but selecting BOTH Cloke and Redpath is not helping.
    Why is it just Cloke & Redpath's fault? Wallis, Dickson & Stringer don't have the ability to keep the ball in the fowardline either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Why is it just Cloke & Redpath's fault? Wallis, Dickson & Stringer don't have the ability to keep the ball in the fowardline either.
    It isn't Cloke and Redpath's fault at all - they don't pick the side - ...and I have already said on this thread that playing those two with a clearly under-done Stringer was a bad idea (or rather, bringing a clearly underdone Stringer into a team that already had Redpath and Cloke) was a bad idea...Dickson actually does have the ability to lock the ball in so not sure where you are coming from there. Wallis seems broken atm but I sort of get why they are still playing him.

I have been baffled with selection for probably 3 years though - in the past, things just always 'worked out' and I was clearly WRONG. 5 changes? No worries. Blokes straight back in with questionable form and fitness? No worries. Unbalanced? No worries. When we played Geelong though and Bontempelli had to ruck despite Redpath and Cloke playing...that was a clear sign that those two would be unable to contribute at senior level. If either was to kick 2 goals in a game (don't count ones from 'broken' play when there lack of chase/defence gets them the equivalent of a Joe the Goose) it would be a miracle. Things aren't great with the mids at the moment but if you are +20 in a quarter for i50's and the score is 3 goals apiece, well, stuff is broken and broken badly.

As my post said, we aren't the team we were but selecting an unbalanced side is not helping.

Post Thanks / Like

Just on Dickson...with Stringer, Redpath and Cloke in the side on Friday - I'm sure everyone else was sharing my frustration of seeing Dickson lining up on the wing for significant periods of the game. After he'd found some form playing deep forward two weeks ago - and after missing one with a quad - we've got him back up high forward and wing. I just can't understand that one.

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't Cloke and Redpath's fault at all - they don't pick the side - ...and I have already said on this thread that playing those two with a clearly under-done Stringer was a bad idea (or rather, bringing a clearly underdone Stringer into a team that already had Redpath and Cloke) was a bad idea...Dickson actually does have the ability to lock the ball in so not sure where you are coming from there. Wallis seems broken atm but I sort of get why they are still playing him.

I have been baffled with selection for probably 3 years though - in the past, things just always 'worked out' and I was clearly WRONG. 5 changes? No worries. Blokes straight back in with questionable form and fitness? No worries. Unbalanced? No worries. When we played Geelong though and Bontempelli had to ruck despite Redpath and Cloke playing...that was a clear sign that those two would be unable to contribute at senior level. If either was to kick 2 goals in a game (don't count ones from 'broken' play when there lack of chase/defence gets them the equivalent of a Joe the Goose) it would be a miracle. Things aren't great with the mids at the moment but if you are +20 in a quarter for i50's and the score is 3 goals apiece, well, stuff is broken and broken badly.

As my post said, we aren't the team we were but selecting an unbalanced side is not helping.
    The current injuries are also playing a big part in our selection. I thought we may be ok with both Redpath and Cloke, but I was wrong and agree with you. We tried Clay who is a great tackler, but he has slowed down even more than last year. Bailey Dale and Hunter off the backline also didn't work well, particularly Dale.

That leaves a dilemma, who should come in and who goes out?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

GWS seemed happy to park it in our forward line on our behalf. And when we kick a cumulative total of 18.37 or whatever it was we kicked over the two games, why not? That's 146 points or just over 24 goals we scored over the two games. You'd back yourself to kick more than 12 goals a game.

18.37 is 55 scoring shots. Even if we didn't miss twice as many as we kicked and just evened that score up it would be 27.27. And I know it's because 15 players from the opposition are crowding space and forcing us wide and otherwise interfering but we miss a lit of easy shots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Just on Dickson...with Stringer, Redpath and Cloke in the side on Friday - I'm sure everyone else was sharing my frustration of seeing Dickson lining up on the wing for significant periods of the game. After he'd found some form playing deep forward two weeks ago - and after missing one with a quad - we've got him back up high forward and wing. I just can't understand that one.
    I too was perplexed why Dickson would be playing on the wing.

Dale in the backline didn't work either, but I can understand the move, with JJ out, Bevo was looking for some run and bounce from the backline. Stringer also played a lot as a loose man in the backline to try and stem the GWS run from their backline to forward. Unfortunately, our forward line was congested for most of the game and it was difficult to score, whereas their forward line was pretty clear with Patton and Lobbe (two smart arses), sitting there waiting to take marks.

Dickson should be in a forward pocket hanging around Redpath, or Cloke to take the crumbs.

Post Thanks / Like

I too was perplexed why Dickson would be playing on the wing.
    Well...because with Cloke AND Redpath AND Stringer there aren't that many forward line spots left (we usually only play 5) so everyone else is going to have to spend time at half back and in the midfield. You have to share the running workload somehow.

Post Thanks / Like

Well...because with Cloke AND Redpath AND Stringer there aren't that many forward line spots left (we usually only play 5) so everyone else is going to have to spend time at half back and in the midfield. You have to share the running workload somehow.
    Redpath suspended gets rid of one of them.

On Stringer, he seemed to play a lot as a loose backman Friday. I don't think he spent a lot of time up forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Redpath suspended gets rid of one of them.

On Stringer, he seemed to play a lot as a loose backman Friday. I don't think he spent a lot of time up forward.
    Yeah I noticed that as well. But if he is going to play back, why make him the spare? Make Cordy or even Young the spare and let them go 3rd up to impact on the marking contest with a defensive mindset rather than giving someone who will naturally be thinking about goals and attacking permission to play on no one?

With a spare back btw that still means a forward will have to be spat out to the midfield which is what happened to TD.

Post Thanks / Like

I can remember when a huge shock tactic was changing the CHB and CHF around. Or swapping the wingmen was a big favourite.