Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you've learned-round 21 v GWS

Here's a possible team for round one next year assuming we have the same list bar Morris, Murphy and Boyd...and that they are all fit.

Biggs, Cordy, Williams
    JJ, Adams, Wood
    Hunter, McLean, Dale
    Crameri, Boyd, Dickson
    Dahl, Redpath, Stringer

Roughy,Bont, Macrae
    I/C. Libba, Daniel, Dunkley, Young

That's five changes from last night's team and with exception of JJ does not address our lack of pace and is unlikely to address our poor conversion percentage. How many of the six forwards I've named would you back to kick a clutch goal? I reckon one.....and he is now at the back end of his career and regularly injured.

If I have one criticism of Dalrymple it's been his inability to introduce any speed to our team although a breakthrough year for Lynch would be very handy. Even our best young prospect from last year's draft, Lapinski, is another one-pace player...although he appears to have good foot skills. We really need to find a Dahlhaus type with better foot skills.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    3. Lewis Young wanted a the ground to open up and swallow him whole. As far as defending goes handing the opposition 3 gift goals is not great. I feel really sorry for him because we don't have the type of support available he really needs around him on field right now. He has been thrown in the deep end in big time. I loved how he was the first to fly the flag when that dirty little *!*!*!*! kicked Dahl in the face though. Lewis will be a quality player for us for many years I have no doubt. Last night there were moments that wasn't his greatest.
    In the old days, he would've been benched and put the dressing gown on after that first really bad turnover up the middle to Kelly.

Credit to Suckling for getting across and giving him a rev but Patton was in his head after that.

Post Thanks / Like

1. JJ is expensive, but when he plays, he's worth it.
    2. I'm starting to really worry about Libba. Something is not right.
    3. We actually are the worst goalkickers in the comp. Literally. Statistically. We're the worst and it just ain't good enough.

Post Thanks / Like

1/ The Gold Coast Suns have a lot to answer for.
    2/ I love everything about the type of person Mitch Wallis is, but we are a better team when he doesn't play.
    3/ We get no return on general play dominance.

Post Thanks / Like

Wallis, Young and McLean were at my sons Auskick this morning. Must be about the last thing they felt like doing this morning - but couldn't have represented themselves and the club much better. Great fellas.

6. Likes bulldogtragic, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Wallis, Young and McLean were at my sons Auskick this morning. Must be about the last thing they felt like doing this morning - but couldn't have represented themselves and the club much better. Great fellas.
    Did you thank Young, on behalf of us all, for giving it to Greene after he kicked Dahl in the face?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear. Young seems made of the right stuff, didn't back down after having a horror night which is all you can ask for.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

1 GWS have been gifted the best talent in the comp and the football department there have built a great team.
    2 We need to fix our delivery and set shots
    3 injuries to key positions have hurt us but the kids filling in will learn and only get better.
    You learn more from losing than winning, we might not make finals but we will be ok once we clean up around our forward line.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

1. Once a dirty dog (Greene), always a dirty dog - MRP must come down hard on this or it is open slather to do the same in future.

2. Our midfield was slaughtered - we need to import some pacey mids

3. Forget the lack of goal kicking accuracy, our field kicking and decision making was atrocious.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

1. You can't have your team (especially the backline) devistated by injury and expect to be competitive against the competitions elite.

2. When it came to bold team selections in 2016, everything Bevo touched turned to diamond. This year, it has been more like coal.

3. If Dale Morris returns this week (as has been rumoured) the guy is a freak of nature.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

1. We're off the pace with the real top end teams in 2017 - only Adelaide and GWS reside in this space
    2. The sample size of our forward delivery woes is large enough to label it a genuine crisis and in need of major surgery
    3. GWS will not win the flag - conceding 65 I50's against an Adelaide will result in a 10 goal loss. They are also 2 men short carrying Lids and Stevie J and will suffer for this at a crucial stage in the finals
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    1. We're off the pace with the real top end teams in 2017 - only Adelaide and GWS reside in this space
    2. The sample size of our forward delivery woes is large enough to label it a genuine crisis and in need of major surgery
    3. GWS will not win the flag - conceding 65 I50's against an Adelaide will result in a 10 goal loss. They are also 2 men short carrying Lids and Stevie J and will suffer for this at a crucial stage in the finals
    Adelaide play a very different style to us so I don't really think its comparable. The 65 inside 50s don't mean much when so many of them are repeat entries with 30 players inside 50.

I think GWS are really building at the moment - they're finally starting to get their best team together, and once Cameron and Mumford are back - it is probably Johnson and Simpson (arguably their bottom 2 from Friday night) who miss.

Adelaide have been the best side for the season, but there is still a question mark over them in finals against the best.
    Whereas the Giants belted Sydney and played very well vs us in the prelim.

Post Thanks / Like

Adelaide play a very different style to us so I don't really think its comparable. The 65 inside 50s don't mean much when so many of them are repeat entries with 30 players inside 50.

I think GWS are really building at the moment - they're finally starting to get their best team together, and once Cameron and Mumford are back - it is probably Johnson and Simpson (arguably their bottom 2 from Friday night) who miss.

Adelaide have been the best side for the season, but there is still a question mark over them in finals against the best.
    Whereas the Giants belted Sydney and played very well vs us in the prelim.
    Yep, I think GWS are building nicely to the pointy end of the season and players like Mzungu give the team an edge they were missing previously. Even last year they were still a bunch of pampered show ponies who weren't prepared to go hard enough when it came down to it in the preliminary final. Now it looks like the penny has dropped for them. This might be there year. I worry about Leon Camerin though, a lot of the time he looks like a supporter who has found his way into the coaching box (a bit like Chris Scott) and seems to get caught up in reacting to incidents in the field instead of retaining a cool mind.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    2/ I love everything about the type of person Mitch Wallis is, but we are a better team when he doesn't play.
    Sadly we were talking about this on Friday night - can we play Libba and Wallis in the same team? I'm not convinced, Wallis looked slow and his disposal does not make up for the lack of legspeed.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Sadly we were talking about this on Friday night - can we play Libba and Wallis in the same team? I'm not convinced, Wallis looked slow and his disposal does not make up for the lack of legspeed.
    Never had clean hands either.

Enormous respect to him for getting back after his horrific injury, but he isn't best 22.