Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WOOF 2017 Player Awards - Round 21 vs GWS

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    4. Hunter
    3. McLean
    2. Biggs
    1. Bontempelli
    You've given Hunter our best when all other voters haven't included him at all... What did you see in his game that everyone else missed?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    You've given Hunter our best when all other voters haven't included him at all... What did you see in his game that everyone else missed?
    Who would you have given votes to? IMO Hunter was certainly amongst our best.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    At the game, watching ahead of the play when the Giants would get the ball and slice through us, I thought Hunter was reading the play and with his running ability was able to close down options for them across half back. On a night that we struggled to get our hands on the ball, struggled to take marks and struggled to defend - he was doing all of those things.

On the point about defending - rather, than watching an opposition player kick the ball - I often find myself watching ahead of the play to see what options our defenders choose (ie. picking the player in the most dangerous position to close down). For this reason, I've probably had a more positive take on Matthew Boyd's games since he has been a defender - as I think he almost always chooses the right defensive option. Compare that to Lewis Young (who is so inexperienced, as had less experienced players than normal around him on Friday) who chose the wrong option and let players get out the back into dangerous spots on a regular basis.
    Hunter on the other hand, is a very smart footballer - he might not be the person we want taking the kick inside 50, but for reading the game and identifying who to close down defensively, he is one of our better players.

Post Thanks / Like

At the game, watching ahead of the play when the Giants would get the ball and slice through us, I thought Hunter was reading the play and with his running ability was able to close down options for them across half back. On a night that we struggled to get our hands on the ball, struggled to take marks and struggled to defend - he was doing all of those things.

On the point about defending - rather, than watching an opposition player kick the ball - I often find myself watching ahead of the play to see what options our defenders choose (ie. picking the player in the most dangerous position to close down). For this reason, I've probably had a more positive take on Matthew Boyd's games since he has been a defender - as I think he almost always chooses the right defensive option. Compare that to Lewis Young (who is so inexperienced, as had less experienced players than normal around him on Friday) who chose the wrong option and let players get out the back into dangerous spots on a regular basis.
    Hunter on the other hand, is a very smart footballer - he might not be the person we want taking the kick inside 50, but for reading the game and identifying who to close down defensively, he is one of our better players.
    Good response. I think in our haste to highlight the shortcomings in his game, we sometimes neglect to praise him for what he actually brings to the table. Works as hard as anyone in our side to support our defenders.
    Last edited by always right; 14-08-2017 at 11:20 PM.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

5. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Good response. I think in our haste to highlight the shortcomings in his game, we sometimes neglect to praise I'm for what he actually brings to the table. Works as hard as anyone in our side to support our defenders.
    If he could fix his kicking, he can become elite.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

4. McLean
    3. Biggs
    2. Bont
    1. Hunter
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

4. Bonts (10 If I could )
    3. McLean
    2. Hunter
    1. Suckers

2. Bonts
    1. McLean
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree it's a strong point of his game, he works back in transition as well as anyone in our team, but his field kicking on Friday was well below the standard an AFL player who plays as an outside mid/ flanker should be... just continually missed targets and it cost us badly.

Post Thanks / Like

4 McLean
    3 Bontempelli
    2 Biggs
    1 Daniel

2McLean
    1 Bontempelli
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

4. Toby McLean
    3. Marcus Bontempelli (Would have given him 4 but he missed too many shots at goal)
    2. Shane Biggs
    1. Lachlan Hunter

2. Toby McLean
    1. Marcus Bontempelli