Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm prepared to offer up my left nut...

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'm reminded of a convo I had with BMac. He said Jake is the most talented player he's ever coached or been round (think of all the Geelong players, GAJ etc). But he said the biggest issue Jake has is work rate.

Work rate seems to be the issue nearly 3 years on.
    I dunno how much advice or criticism I'd listen to from Bmac about any of our players. He'd lost it in a major way by his last year with us.

Im not saying he was imcompetent but I'd be taking everything he said with a grain of salt

I think we'd be insane to trade Stringer out. He will be a superstar. We get to chose if it's going to be with us or another club. If he goes to another club we will regret it for the next decade.

You keep quality players.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stringer isn't the problem. Our midfield got badly shown up last night by quicker, faster, stronger players and looked amateur. I haven't seen the stats but I'm pretty sure we didn't have a disposal after half time. Roughy was immensely disappointing against an inferior opponent too.

Our lack of killer instinct around goals is very frustrating, but it's a by-product of prioritising ball control and stoppages over gifting the ball back to the opposition in a dangerous position. Its not going to change without dramatic overhaul of playing style, and I think its something we might have to assess when our season ends in two weeks.

But the midfield is super worrying. The guys we have coming through (Dunkley, Webb(?), McLean) all are, in their own way, weak against one of the above strengths. If only there were a young guy on the market who represented the total package that we could throw a stack of money at and whose best mate also played for us already?

I know it's not the right thread, but I learned last night that we need Lever and Kelly.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

4. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I dunno how much advice or criticism I'd listen to from Bmac about any of our players. He'd lost it in a major way by his last year with us.

Im not saying he was imcompetent but I'd be taking everything he said with a grain of salt

I think we'd be insane to trade Stringer out. He will be a superstar. We get to chose if it's going to be with us or another club. If he goes to another club we will regret it for the next decade.

You keep quality players.
    I with you 100% Twodogs BUT would you right now trade Stringer for Josh Kelly, straight swap. I'd seriously consider it.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    I with you 100% Twodogs BUT would you right now trade Stringer for Josh Kelly, straight swap. I'd seriously consider it.
    In that situation I'd be interested that they have offered up Kelly and try and keep him on the table by offering everything short of Stringer. Stringer would be my deal breaker straight away.

Actually thinking about how much it would improve our team. Kelly and the Bont, geeeez...
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    We are a premiership team with a very young backline filling in . One bad half of footy and we are all doom and gloom.
    I'm not so upset about our forwards but our delivery into it . It seems our mid Coach is not on the same page as our forward coach.
    I don't believe we need to trade or bemoan the list , it's a good list , it's a young list.
    I question not playing Roberts and putting a 4 game ( youngest player in the league) on a man mountain with Massive talent.
    I question that Toby Greene and Patton are our devil but we seem to do nothing to stop them.
    To me it's a coaching thing and getting all our coaches to work together better .
    65 entries to 35 tells you we get it in better than any team in the league. We just need to deliver properly or get the forwards to run to spots our mids kick it to.
    With all due respect ledge, this has not been borne out of one bad half of footy.

Our goalkicking is the worst in the league. It has cost us at least two games and almost cost us half a dozen more.

And last night should have been a hell of a lot closer than it was, we should have been in front at half time and we ought to have at least been in the hunt at 3qt. You can say the same for the Adelaide game.

As much as our entries are an issue, this has been staring us in the face all year and it still is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Even I would consider that trade.....because you know you are getting a quality player. I wouldn't trade him for a draft pick...yet.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    In that situation I'd be interested that they have offered up Kelly and try and keep him on the table by offering everything short of Stringer. Stringer would be my deal breaker straight away.
    Stringer for Kelly & their first rounder?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Stringer for Kelly & their first rounder?
    Not that it will happen but we are winning that by a country mile.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

11. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Not that it will happen but we are winning that by a country mile.
    Yep. Just trying to work out how lopsided it'd need to be to trade him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    With all due respect ledge, this has not been borne out of one bad half of footy.

Our goalkicking is the worst in the league. It has cost us at least two games and almost cost us half a dozen more.

And last night should have been a hell of a lot closer than it was, we should have been in front at half time and we ought to have at least been in the hunt at 3qt. You can say the same for the Adelaide game.

As much as our entries are an issue, this has been staring us in the face all year and it still is.
    Yes our kicking has been bad for two years but As I said above I don't think it's the players.
    And we don't help by going wide and making them awkward shots . So I will still say it's our delivery into the forward line or our forwards leading to silly spots.
    I won't turf players while it's a set up problem.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Yes our kicking has been bad for two years but As I said above I don't think it's the players.
    And we don't help by going wide and making them awkward shots . So I will still say it's our delivery into the forward line or our forwards leading to silly spots.
    I won't turf players while it's a set up problem.
    Fair enough.....but the goal kicking of Bont, Roughy, Stringer and Dahlhaus has arguably got worse over the last two years. How does that happen?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Fair enough.....but the goal kicking of Bont, Roughy, Stringer and Dahlhaus has arguably got worse over the last two years. How does that happen?
    From more difficult angles? Further out ?
    I don't know but it all needs to be addressed and trading them is not the answer in my opinion.
    We did win a premiership last year, half the team is missing , the replacements are young, these young ones might be the answer.
    Our list is very very good, we are not going to do a Buckley are we and dismantle a young side that won a flag ?
    We know how that's worked out.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Stringer isn't the problem. Our midfield got badly shown up last night by quicker, faster, stronger players and looked amateur. I haven't seen the stats but I'm pretty sure we didn't have a disposal after half time. Roughy was immensely disappointing against an inferior opponent too.

Our lack of killer instinct around goals is very frustrating, but it's a by-product of prioritising ball control and stoppages over gifting the ball back to the opposition in a dangerous position. Its not going to change without dramatic overhaul of playing style, and I think its something we might have to assess when our season ends in two weeks.

But the midfield is super worrying. The guys we have coming through (Dunkley, Webb(?), McLean) all are, in their own way, weak against one of the above strengths. If only there were a young guy on the market who represented the total package that we could throw a stack of money at and whose best mate also played for us already?

I know it's not the right thread, but I learned last night that we need Lever and Kelly.
    Hit the nail on the head - midfield thrashed last night.

What is worse, the GWS mids can actually kick a ball. Other than Bonti and Libba (who hardly gets the ball), our other mids cannot kick. The number of times McLean's kicks went straight up in the air, or Macrae's ridiculous kicking action, Hunter's kicks either good or very bad, Dahl a terrible kick, and so it goes on.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

From more difficult angles? Further out ?
    I don't know but it all needs to be addressed and trading them is not the answer in my opinion.
    We did win a premiership last year, half the team is missing , the replacements are young, these young ones might be the answer.
    Our list is very very good, we are not going to do a Buckley are we and dismantle a young side that won a flag ?
    We know how that's worked out.
    Not saying players should be turfed but a little surprised by your claim it isn't the player's fault.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Not saying players should be turfed but a little surprised by your claim it isn't the player's fault.
    It's typically a combination of players and coaches when teams under perform. I suspect some of our coaches didn't demand that all players come back in their best condition.

We need only have a look at our players performances in 2016 home and away season and compare them to this year. I doubt we have found enough improvement in this list. On top of that we didn't get the structure right during the trade period.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

19. Likes Eastdog liked this post