Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm prepared to offer up my left nut...

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's typically a combination of players and coaches when teams under perform. I suspect some of our coaches didn't demand that all players come back in their best condition.

We need only have a look at our players performances in 2016 home and away season and compare them to this year. I doubt we have found enough improvement in this list. On top of that we didn't get the structure right during the trade period.
    Just changing the coaches around wasn't enough. In fact if you're not going to change the faces I'm wondering why we changed the coaching structure around at all because it was working pretty well. We appear to have fixed something that wasn't broken and made it perform worse in the process.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I would also do straight swap Stringer for Kelly. Not sure GWS would take it quite frankly. Stringers lack of effort and inability to take relatively easy marks and kick realively easy goals is frustrating. I continue to think Wallis is too slow and disposal below average. I love Dahl's efforts to win the ball however his kicking is woeful. IMO we desperately need more class in the midfield and a decent ruckman way more than defenders or forwards. Some bold decisions need to be made in off-season for us to remain competitive with the plastics. We should start another thread on who we think are untouchables. Cordy, Daniel, Bont, Maclean,JJ, Macrae come to mind.

Post Thanks / Like

It's typically a combination of players and coaches when teams under perform. I suspect some of our coaches didn't demand that all players come back in their best condition.

We need only have a look at our players performances in 2016 home and away season and compare them to this year. I doubt we have found enough improvement in this list. On top of that we didn't get the structure right during the trade period.
    Tend to agree that it is a bit of both the coaches and the players. Bevo more than anyone right now would be extremely frustrated. Bevo probably knows what is going on but is finding it difficult to fix it. At the same time the players need to take responsibility clearly as many are down on form. Injuries have not helped either. We have this year brought the manic pressure which has been great to see but it certainly hasn't been there very week. The GWS game earlier in the year comes to mind a game we should have won - the game 2 weeks ago v Dons we were very good the Saints game as well.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I was referring to their goal kicking rather than their overall performance.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Stringer for Kelly & their first rounder?
    It's getting to where do I sign?

But the most important thing now is you're more worried I will walk out of the room without doing a deal than I am. (I know you are high balling me to gauge my response but you see my point and how we should approach it.) For this exercise we have to stick to the line there is no way we would even consider trading Jake to see what they will offer first up. Kelly and a first round pick would be an excellent outcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It's getting to where do I sign?

But the most important thing now is you're more worried I will walk out of the room without doing a deal than I am. (I know you are high balling me to gauge my response but you see my point and how we should approach it.) For this exercise we have to stick to the line there is no way we would even consider trading Jake to see what they will offer first up. Kelly and a first round pick would be an excellent outcome.
    He's contracted and going nowhere... Good start?

How about Kelly and exchanging their first rounder for our second (circa pick 28 upgraded into pick 18) Then picks 10 & 18 for Lever (and change). So that's our first two picks & Stringer for Kelly & Lever (and change). Is that enough?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Hit the nail on the head - midfield thrashed last night.

What is worse, the GWS mids can actually kick a ball. Other than Bonti and Libba (who hardly gets the ball), our other mids cannot kick. The number of times McLean's kicks went straight up in the air, or Macrae's ridiculous kicking action, Hunter's kicks either good or very bad, Dahl a terrible kick, and so it goes on.
    Our disposal must be bad when we are surprised that the opposition can actually kick the ball. But there are so few teams in the AFL that can kick the ball it is a bit of a novelty when you see one.

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Fair enough.....but the goal kicking of Bont, Roughy, Stringer and Dahlhaus has arguably got worse over the last two years. How does that happen?
    Because they all have lousy kicking techniques and nobody had done anything to address it for one thing. They spin the ball in their hands as they run in, they lift their heads to look at the goal as they kick the ball and lean backwards as a result, they run in at an angle. I can only assume that nobody has done any serious tuition with them like Sav Rocca has done with Levi Casboult at Carlton this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    He's contracted and going nowhere... Good start?

How about Kelly and exchanging their first rounder for our second (circa pick 28 upgraded into pick 18) Then picks 10 & 18 for Lever (and change). So that's our first two picks & Stringer for Kelly & Lever (and change). Is that enough?

I'm still a bit luke warm on Lever but that'd do me. Just watching McGovern for Adelaide, how about him instead?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still a bit luke warm on Lever but that'd do me. Just watching McGovern for Adelaide, how about him instead?
    Pick any player worth our then picks 10 & 18.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

So much more upside with Lever. The guy is a gun. Should have gone 1 or 2 in his draft but for a broken leg/reco? scaring everyone off.