Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where did it all go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    The close losses, had they been wins, would have been papering over the cracks. We just aren't in the frame with the real top echelon teams at the business end - Sydney, Adelaide and GWS toyed with us later in the season, Port and even Melbourne did likewise. No team completely got the better of us last year - Geelong maybe but at the Cattery we pushed them all the way - whereas this season we've been non-competitive in a number of games. That simply didn't happen in 2015 and 2016.

When you have 44 players on your list and maybe 2-3 have genuinely improved year-on-year, you're in big trouble. We banked on incremental improvement within and it never really eventuated.
    Agree totally with this assessment.

Whilst sitting in my hotel room in Ballarat on Friday night watching the Crows v Swans game, I couldn't help but think that we are so far away from these two in terms of pressure and skill. We have a lot of ground to make up next year. A decent ruckman and some mids with penetration are the key this trade period.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    He's durability must be questioned though... He just can't stay on the park for any length of time.
    To some extent Roughead has had his issues in this area as well. It's why I was critical that we didn't find some in the support in this role while Tim English is given some time to physically develop
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    To some extent Roughead has had his issues in this area as well. It's why I was critical that we didn't find some in the support in this role while Tim English is given some time to physically develop
    Agree to an extent as Roughy is often injured, can't play a high proportion of the game in the ruck, isn't really effetcive against good opposition and would be in the hands of the trainers more than any player in our team. Shouldn't we replace either of these players with someone more durable and potentially more influential rather than add to the group?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Never easy travelling twice to Perth both fairly close to each other and also travelling to Canberra in Round 6. In 2016 our first 8 games were in Victoria.
    Eagles/Dockers have to travel 10 times during the year. We should be used to the travelling by now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    like half the team

you have to wonder what is going on with our conditioning and fitness and all the bloody injuries. Or is it our game style thats the problem? I don't know. Frustrates the bejesus out of me we can never have our best team on the paddock

Campbell was going into to 2016 as our Number 1 ruck.
    Campbell will be required if they change the rule in the ruck and throw it up at centre bounces. It is why Collingwood want to know what is happening with the rule before they release Cox.

Post Thanks / Like

How many rucks should be on our list at anyone time?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Agree to an extent as Roughy is often injured, can't play a high proportion of the game in the ruck, isn't really effetcive against good opposition and would be in the hands of the trainers more than any player in our team. Shouldn't we replace either of these players with someone more durable and potentially more influential rather than add to the group?
    We tried to get a few ruckman but couldn't land them. Perhaps we didn't go hard enough.
    After winning a flag I think we just were down on someone to support what we already had and unless we have a more dynamic type I think we need to find a short term replacement until English is physically ready to play some substantial minutes.

Having Bont, Jong or Dunkley in the ruck is not something I want to see unless it's just the very occasional contest.

Post Thanks / Like

We tried to get a few ruckman but couldn't land them. Perhaps we didn't go hard enough.
    After winning a flag I think we just were down on someone to support what we already had and unless we have a more dynamic type I think we need to find a short term replacement until English is physically ready to play some substantial minutes.

Having Bont, Jong or Dunkley in the ruck is not something I want to see unless it's just the very occasional contest.
    When do you see English physically ready?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    When do you see English physically ready?
    I think 2019 or 20. He will play more next year as well

Post Thanks / Like

I think 2019 or 20. He will play more next year as well
    If he is possibly ready in 2019 would it be a waste in getting another ruckman in? We could just hope we have better luck with injuries with Campbell & Roughie.

Post Thanks / Like

Jake Spencer? Mature age, big body can't get a game behind Gawn. Maybe a ready made option for now until English is able to stake a regular claim.
    I know some have mentioned he's got off field issues (of which I don't know anything about) but maybe Goldstein on the back of 2 poor years might be willing to play for a lot less in the hope of finishing his career strongly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    like half the team

you have to wonder what is going on with our conditioning and fitness and all the bloody injuries. Or is it our game style thats the problem? I don't know. Frustrates the bejesus out of me we can never have our best team on the paddock

Campbell was going into to 2016 as our Number 1 ruck.

Not to mention Stringer now back off the park with yet another soft tissue injury.

Plus Adams and Crameri not getting on the park.

I'm starting to wonder if the way we manage injuries needs to be looked at.

Libba and Macrae had miraculous recoveries last year, and Dale Morris is Dale Morris, but it Seems like everyone else keeps having setbacks.

Did those recoveries paper over some cracks?

Post Thanks / Like

What about Sam Baulderstone, I think one of our SA woofers was talking him up. 26 and ready to go.

Bio: Sam is a two time premiership player and has developed into one of the leading ruckmen of the competition. His stoppage work is excellent and he has a lovely left foot kick. Sam came second in the clubs 2016 best and fairest.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    If he is possibly ready in 2019 would it be a waste in getting another ruckman in? We could just hope we have better luck with injuries with Campbell & Roughie.
    So we get burned one year and you seem to think it's less likely to happen two years in a row? How did that work for us this year?
    To me it's like arguing the value of having car or house insurance. Why exactly do you want to cheap out on adding a ruckman?
    Are you really OK with Bontempelli rucking in games or Jong and Dunkley?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah we need at least 3 options in the ruck, not counting Boyd, especially when 2 are so injury prone. Otherwise we're making unnecessary sacrifices in other areas or of other players