Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where did it all go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    So we get burned one year and you seem to think it's less likely to happen two years in a row? How did that work for us this year?
    To me it's like arguing the value of having car or house insurance. Why exactly do you want to cheap out on adding a ruckman?
    Are you really OK with Bontempelli rucking in games or Jong and Dunkley?
    On paper, having Roughy (every bit deserving of the title 'Premiership Ruckman' on 2016 form), Campbell, Boyd and English on the list is exactly the kind of mix we need. I'd object to having more than 4 ruckmen on a 44 man list. For me, if we were to find other options, it would have to be at the expense of Roughead or Campbell, not in addition. Otherwise we will end up with three pure ruckmen at VFL level.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    On paper, having Roughy (every bit deserving of the title 'Premiership Ruckman' on 2016 form), Campbell, Boyd and English on the list is exactly the kind of mix we need. I'd object to having more than 4 ruckmen on a 44 man list. For me, if we were to find other options, it would have to be at the expense of Roughead or Campbell, not in addition. Otherwise we will end up with three pure ruckmen at VFL level.
    Would we prefer Boyd to stay at FF and bring in another ruckman?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    So we get burned one year and you seem to think it's less likely to happen two years in a row? How did that work for us this year?
    To me it's like arguing the value of having car or house insurance. Why exactly do you want to cheap out on adding a ruckman?
    Are you really OK with Bontempelli rucking in games or Jong and Dunkley?
    I'm just a bit torn on the idea GVGjr because we already have the solution there in English but he isn't quite ready yet & is there a good option out there that we can use till English is ready? I'm not convinced there is.

If Roughie & TC struggle with fitness again next year then we will look like fools if we have done nothing to rectify the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

roughie will always get injured it's in his genes.
    Never major but getting hit in the eye by the ball is the perfect example of Roughie and injuries
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Never major but getting hit in the eye by the ball is the perfect example of Roughie and injuries
    Did he cop another falcon last week or the week before? I'm sure I saw him cop one but no one has mentioned it.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    He played 25 games last year but missed the first half of this year due to a freak injury. I think he is getting more durable.

People can say he hasn't had a good year in the ruck, but they forget he was injured in the preseason which didn't help him or us for the whole season.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He played 25 games last year but missed the first half of this year due to a freak injury. I think he is getting more durable.

People can say he hasn't had a good year in the ruck, but they forget he was injured in the preseason which didn't help him or us for the whole season.
    Good call.

I think for Roughy, and Dicko as you've mentioned elsewhere, the injuries they sustained in the pre-season meant that both of them never really got going for the year.
    If you look back over Dicko's career - the difference between the couple of years where he had continuity vs those where he missed big chunks, is just massive.

For Roughy - he is probably never going to be a dominant player, but keep him fit like 2016, and he is a valuable contributor. It will be important to keep him and TC available and on the park, as English will need 3 years more development at least working under these guys.

At 26 and 27 respectively next season - TC and Rough are potentially coming into their best years. Consider that Tom Boyd has just turned 22 and English 19 or 20 - I think the ruck stocks are in reasonable shape IF the boys can stay on the park

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

The only time the team got going late coincided with Roughead finding form

Post Thanks / Like

I like to think Tom Campbell's best is ahead of him.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Reasonable effort from Greg Baum:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/western...24-gy3fia.html
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Good article, and about sums it up.

Post Thanks / Like

•BRETT MONTGOMERY - SNR ASSISTANT
    •ROHAN SMITH - BACKS
    •DANIEL GIANSIRACUSA - FORWARDS
    •STEVEN KING - MIDFIELD
    •JOEL COREY - STOPPAGES
    Maybe we shouldn't mess with a winning formula until it breaks.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

We have lost our McCartneyism. We have lost our cracking in, our contested footy. We need to get Brendan McCartney back as assistant coach to set the benchmarks for contested footy.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    We have lost our McCartneyism. We have lost our cracking in, our contested footy. We need to get Brendan McCartney back as assistant coach to set the benchmarks for contested footy.
    Interesting statement when you consider what are becoming Melbournes strengths.. I've always said McCartney would make a great list manager or junior development coach.
    He just wasn't a senior coach, let's face it the list that won the flag was pretty much his.
    I give him a lot of credit for 2016 happening.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornindroopst'54 View Post
    we have lost our mccartneyism. We have lost our cracking in, our contested footy. We need to get brendan mccartney back as assistant coach to set the benchmarks for contested footy.
    please no