Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who is in the "must keep" list? Players and Coaches.

We appear to only be capable of attracting players in the latter stages of their career.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Seems we are a long way off being a destination club.
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-2...ake-lever-hunt
    I mentioned this the other day. We were running 3rd in a 3 horse race.
    We might still not be out of it though but it's unlikely at the moment. Things can change
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps we're only offering good money rather than stupid money.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Apart from Treloar (which was murky!) how many really young gun players end up at other clubs?

For me, it's only those who overpay.

We did well to get Hamling. I say we go down that route agai and also go to the draft. There's a salary cap in play, so every time you pay big dollars, something is squeezed elsewhere on the list.

A few clubs will be rebuilding at the end of this season, so opportunities will come up. This Lever news is a blessing in disguise. I only wish Hurley had let us know so soon last year!

Geelong and Hawthorn will need to trade into the draft and West Coast will be offloading. GWS will cop cap pressure.
    Another interesting one is Freo.. They're potentially trading in order to rebuild...

With no finals to occupy our time, we should have a good run at some players. If not, Dalrymple is in pretty good form..

Post Thanks / Like

Murphy, Boyd, Hamilton and Prudden are definitely outs.

I'd look to trade Redpath too.

And then just focus on the draft and keeping the rest of the list together. We are still young and this season though a write off could be a blessing in disguise.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Murphy, Boyd, Hamilton and Prudden are definitely outs.

I'd look to trade Redpath too.

And then just focus on the draft and keeping the rest of the list together. We are still young and this season though a write off could be a blessing in disguise.
    Prudden is a Rookie, but yeah, I think he should be delisted.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a ruckman of, as yet, unfulfilled promise in Tom Campbell. It would be a treat if he could put a whole year together.
    Collins must be kept. Guys his size and age are hard to come by.
    English will get stronger and bigger if he works at it He should be monitored very carefully in the gym. He has a lot of work to do and the last thing he needs is a gym based injury to set him back.
    I'm unsure about Webb. He looked really good in his first game but has not had much of a run.

Honeychurch could have had a pretty successful return to the side HAD HE KICKED STRAIGHT. He was really good and quite ordinary in the few games he had.
    Williams will be a player. He takes the game on and can break lines. Definite keeper.

Stringer should play on the ball and take a break at half forward. He needs a big pre-season of endurance work. He has the pace off the mark and the strength to break tackles - he needs the stamina to make repeat efforts for four quarters.
    Clay Smith is a worry because he has lost pace and closing speed. But I won't write him off. Any bloke who's still going around after 3 knee re-cos has serious spirit and work ethic.
    Fletcher Roberts is a fairly one dimensional dour defender who has not developed his game this year. But with our injury prone defenders we need him as back up maybe.
    I thought Biggs finished off the year pretty well.
    Calls for a major cull are misplaced. Dickson is still our most reliable goal kicker. He will be much better next year.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Agree re Stringer. His only hope is to develop the tank to play big minutes in the midfield.

If he can do this he will be a regular match winner. If he remains mainly a forward I don't think he will get much better.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

People are saying to trade Stringer but that will leave us with not much up forward if we do. Need to be careful there. Understand he needs to get fitter and switched on but who will kick goals? Dickson is cooked/Cloke can't take a grab/our small forwards are not goal kickers/Redpath has had his chances and I am sure we will be saying the same thing about him next year/Boyd you will find will be our number 1 ruckman so will only pinch hit. If we get rid of Stringer we need a replacement. Lipinski and Mclean are probably 2 who know where the goals are and are genuine goal kickers but Mclean is playing mid field. As much he is frustrating we don't have many match winners and Stringer is when he is on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Ironically I wouldn't think the Saints are a great kicking side.
    Precisely why he's there.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.