Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Who is in the "must keep" list? Players and Coaches.

Here's my take on it:

Players
    Bonti
    Macrae
    Dale
    McLean
    T.Boyd
    Young
    Cordy
    Morris
    Adams
    Dahl-possibly, because he is a heart and soul player

Coaches
    Bevo
    Corey

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who is in the "must keep" list? Players and Coaches.

I tend to think the list looks about right Josie and I'd certainly have Dahlhaus in the must keep category.

That been said, any monster offer should be considered.

Wallis and Libertore are not likely to be traded unless they don't have the required hunger. I can't see that being an issue with Wallis but there is an outside chance it could be with Liberatore. JJ stays no matter what

Re the coaches I think Smith and Hansen should be maintained along with Corey. Bevo untouchable
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of agree GVGjr however I think we have too many with poor kicking skills or too slow. I am not by any means advocating we give up on all or most of those that are not untouchable. There are also player loyalty and culture issues to consider as well.

Do we need Smith back at coal face instead of his role this year (was it development coach?).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Here's my take on it:

Players
    Bonti
    Macrae
    Dale
    McLean
    T.Boyd
    Young
    Cordy
    Morris
    Adams
    Dahl-possibly, because he is a heart and soul player

Coaches
    Bevo
    Corey
    Morris to retire

Plus:

Stringer
    JJ
    Wood
    Roughead
    English

I am with GVGjr on Libba and Wallis
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    I kind of agree GVGjr however I think we have too many with poor kicking skills or too slow. I am not by any means advocating we give up on all or most of those that are not untouchable. There are also player loyalty and culture issues to consider as well.

Do we need Smith back at coal face instead of his role this year (was it development coach?).
    I get that, it's just a good list to debate.

I think we do need Smith back running the back line. It might be interesting to see if he pursues other development opportunities.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I get that, it's just a good list to debate.

I think we do need Smith back running the back line. It might be interesting to see if he pursues other development opportunities.
    I think the coaches need a refresh, most of them have been assistants for 5 years now. Bevo needs a new crew. I would be happy to get rid of the lot (except Bevo of course).

I for one don't believe for one minute that swapping them around this year effected our team and the way we play.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting Bevo talked of the lack of pre-season with Smith and Dickson , and reckon you could throw Wood in that category as well .
    Gotta be very careful who you tip out, and maybe let the dust settle .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Interesting Bevo talked of the lack of pre-season with Smith and Dickson , and reckon you could throw Wood in that category as well .
    Gotta be very careful who you tip out, and maybe let the dust settle .
    And yet never gets mentioned that Libba didn't run until mid Jan.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

I maintain that this year is the price we paid for last year's heroics. No team has won from 7th before, which means that we played 4 cut-throat finals with many players playing with injuries that should have seen them iced and in for surgury a lot earlier than they did. The post season op list was enormous - meaning delayed pre-seasons etc. You add to this the fact that the group remains young and won the flag 2 years earlier than the age profile says they should.

We will not make whoesale list changes and those calling for the trading of guys like Libba, Stringer, T Boyd etc are overreacting - yes they had poor seasons, but they were not alone and trading away gun players just strengthens the opposition. On the keep list are:

Bonti
    Macrae
    Dale
    McLean
    T.Boyd
    Young
    Cordy
    Morris
    Adams
    Dahl
    Stringer
    Libba
    Wallis
    Wood
    Roughead
    English (the whole of the draft for 2016, they get a free pass into 2018 unless attitude is an issue)
    Biggs
    Redders
    Webb
    Dunkley
    Daniel
    Picken
    Jong
    Suckers
    Hunter

That is 23 (plus 2 other first year) players out of the 38 main list guys. Guys we should keep, but who may struggle next year/on borrowed time:

Smith
    Dicko
    Williams
    Collins
    Cloke
    Crameri
    Roberts
    Campbell
    honeychurch

Of these I can see maybe 1 or 2 being moved on. They rest will stay and play on.

2017 was characterised by a number of issues:

1) a poor pre-season - attitudal, time, injuries
    2) injuries - Jong, Adams, Dunkley, Stringer, T Boyd, Cloke, Crammers, Wood, Morris - we never had a settled line up and the backline and forwardline in particular suffered from constantly changing personnel
    3) aging - Dicko, M Boyd, Murphy - 2 of whom were prime movers last year through either age/form/fitness struggled

2017 was the season we had to have - the positives have been that we blooded/got games into Jong, Williams, Webb, Dale and Young. Negatives injuries and poor form. Can't wait for 2018!
    Last edited by FrediKanoute; 20-08-2017 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Left off Hunter; forgot Honeychuch

Post Thanks / Like

Good summary Fredi.

I would probably put Williams on the keep list. Has a good future and has really shown great signs down in defence. Smith just hasn't played that much this year but when he has played has certainly not been what he was last year particular in the final series.

It is very easy after a poor season to really cull the list down but we need to remember that many players this year have been out of form and not anywhere near 2016 form and injuries as well have really hurt our season and that was never going to make it easy.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 20-08-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Williams worries me. I don't think his decision making is all that good. Its not instinctive. Happy to give him time though as he is still young. Personally I would prefer Webb in his role - better kick, good mark and makes better decisions.

Clay.....3 knee reco's means that he is an injury away from finishing up. I don't think we will delist him, but with list space becoming an ever more prescious commodity another season like this and I think he will be moved on.
    Agree - re poor season. Talk of a major cull is nonsence. Maybe if the 2015/6 draftees had stepped up to dominate, but they haven't

Post Thanks / Like

Whats Gilbee up to now days ?
    Surely the club could slot him in as kicking coach.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Williams worries me. I don't think his decision making is all that good. Its not instinctive. Happy to give him time though as he is still young. Personally I would prefer Webb in his role - better kick, good mark and makes better decisions.

Clay.....3 knee reco's means that he is an injury away from finishing up. I don't think we will delist him, but with list space becoming an ever more prescious commodity another season like this and I think he will be moved on.
    Agree - re poor season. Talk of a major cull is nonsence. Maybe if the 2015/6 draftees had stepped up to dominate, but they haven't
    Agree on Williams. I like his aggressiveness off the line, but his kicking is 50/50. Particularly his desire for running shots at goal where he's kicked 0 goals, 6 behinds. But keeps calling for the ball outside 50 on the run.

I find it strange that Williams gets to be a HBF without distraction of 'playing other roles' to his development, yet Webb gets forced into other roles where his strengthes get covered over by other matters. Williams stays, and Webb likely leaves.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post

Webb while he hasn't lived up to the rigours of AFL we really haven't played him much in the seniors to really make a good analysis of his AFL form. Honeychurch when he was playing this year I thought looked alright in the games but again hasn't played much at AFL level. Declan Hamilton will he play next year or could he be one that we let go at seasons end - hasn't played an AFL game yet.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Whats Gilbee up to now days ?
    Surely the club could slot him in as kicking coach.
    Saints assistant