Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Right deal jettisons star Dog

This from Campbell Brown (I disagree with this logic but hey)

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/08/...g-from-kennel/

Stringer_back.jpg

Former Hawthorn premiership player Campbell Brown believes the right deal could see Bulldog favourite Jake Stringer jettisoned from the kennel.

Barring divine intervention the Dogs are set to become the first team since Hawthorn in 2009 to miss finals a year after holding the premiership cup aloft.

With the disappointment comes soul searching, and list management changes.

“If you can get a good enough deal for him then I think anyone can be traded out,” he told SEN's The Run Home.

“He hasn’t got to where he wanted to get to this year and there are probably multiple reasons behind that.

“The club has to continue to evolve and that will mean player changes.”

After a blistering 2015 season in which the talented half forward kicked 56 goals, he has been something of a disappointment. The 23-year-old has kicked 24 goals from 16 matches in 2017.

He was dropped late last year only to earn a reprieve for a finals series in which the former top 10 draft pick was only a bit-part player.

But Brown says trading away players as talented as Stringer can be a dangerous business for clubs with eyes on a premiership.

“You have to remember that one poor year doesn’t make you expendable to the footy club. It’s can be a fine line because decisions can come back to haunt you,” he said.

As the Dogs mull where things went wrong, Brown believes the club’s biggest challenge will come next season.

“The real test of the Western Bulldogs’ talent will be next season,” he said.

“They’ll learn a lot from this year and the test will be can they rectify it and get back to where they were last year.”

The Dogs round out the home and away season against Hawthorn at Etihad Stadium.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Right deal jettisons star Dog

I agree with him that next year is our big test. Knock us down, thats fine shit happens, but it's how we react to setbacks that defines us. Things went wrong this season, but we were backing up from a premiership we hadn't won for 62 years and if we'd gotten everything right that would have been worth mentioning more than the fact we seem to have gotten nearly everything wrong If we learn nothing from this year then I will be getting frustrated. At the moment it's a bit SNAFU and I'd kind of expected that.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Brown sits firmly on the fence. He could be traded out, on the back of a poor year, but it's dangerous to trade out on the back of one poor year.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Brown sits firmly on the fence. He could be traded out, on the back of a poor year, but it's dangerous to trade out on the back of one poor year.
    But... As much as it's dangerous to trade out on the back of one year, he could be traded out on the back of a poor year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

But. Could it be dangerous to trade him out on the back of a poor year? If we were to trade him out?

I have no idea who we are talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing to see here folks!

Cam Brown sheesh!
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Nothing to see here folks!

Cam Brown sheesh!
    Spot on Doc
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Jake is a required player as far as I am concerned. He has had a down year but so has the Club as a whole. I am confident he will bounce back and I want it to be with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Jake has clearly had a tough year mentally with family issues.

The bloke is 23 years old, has won our goal kicking the last 3 years. Was all Australian in 2015 and even kicked over 40 goals in 2016 despite having a "poor" year to some, with a dodgey shoulder I might add.

You just don't trade players like Jake.

Post Thanks / Like

Jake Stringer is a special player and MUST remain a Bulldog. Full stop. There is no way I want to see him at another club. He can do things that few others can do. He has not had a good run at it this year but next year will be a different story. He will be back to his barnstorming best. I would like to see him complete a pre-season specifically designed to build his endurance. He needs to spend more time in the engine room. Get him where the action is. He'll still kick goals and he'll still kick goals when he's taking a breather up forward.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

11. Likes JohnGentStand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Jake Stringer is a special player and MUST remain a Bulldog. Full stop. There is no way I want to see him at another club. He can do things that few others can do. He has not had a good run at it this year but next year will be a different story. He will be back to his barnstorming best. I would like to see him complete a pre-season specifically designed to build his endurance. He needs to spend more time in the engine room. Get him where the action is. He'll still kick goals and he'll still kick goals when he's taking a breather up forward.
    How easy is it for power/burst atheletes like Jake to build endurance?

It's hard to make endurance atheletes run quicker, is it the same going the other way?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    How easy is it for power/burst atheletes like Jake to build endurance?

It's hard to make endurance atheletes run quicker, is it the same going the other way?
    I can't think of one. It's hard to think of players that had both power and endurance naturally. Gary Ayres maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I can't think of one. It's hard to think of players that had both power and endurance naturally. Gary Ayres maybe?
    Riewoldt?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Mark Ricciuto, Micky Conlan, Doug Barwick, Darren Millane, Koutafides, Tim Watson?

Post Thanks / Like

Of course there are limits to what can be achieved. Limits imposed by genetics/physiology. But it's through controlled, specific training that an athlete can reach their potential.
    I am not an expert but would suggest, as a starting point 3x400 mt runs that include 2 - 3 flat out sprints of betwen 20 - 40 mts. When not sprinting the runner should be running at a good clip - say 80% of max effort. As endurance builds more reps can be added.
    Jake is never going to be Tony McGuiness but he doesn't have to be Fred Cook either.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."