Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Right deal jettisons star Dog

Stringer stays for nine he is a one who in a generation type player. Only young with a difficult home transition going on. He along with everyone else will very easily improve 10 -20% in the off season. It seems like a whole club issue. We are not experienced in winning that far in September so will have learned a hell of a lot regarding pre season training. We seemed underdone for the first half the season. Always lording in the last quarter. It is talked about how a player never really catches up after missing heaps of the preseason. Well we unfortunately as a club missed a fair bit from our normal training. The club will learn and have a huge preseason. I'm very excited to see what we come up with next year. We will be back

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Those goal kicking figures are a tragedy. I think
    Wee Georgie Bisset won once with 21 goals and Kevin Jackman with 16 but that was back in the 60s. Someone will know for sure. I'd say our points for has taken a big tumble this year. Very frustrating year.
    Adrian Campbell could have been anything but ended up as footnote in the memory banks of old time supporters. Had every skill in the book and every injury known to sports science.
    He didn't just have a medical file - he had his own cabinet. He made Tom Williams look bullet proof.
    We off-loaded him to Melbourne where he'd be closer to the Epworth where they kept a room on call especially for him.
    Did play a part in the chain of play that resulted in Billy the Kid kicking one of the greatest match winning goals ever seen at the G. And for that Adrian will forever remain in my memory as Son of the 'Scray.
    George won the goal kicking with 16. Kevin Jackman (ex-Tottenham Tech) booted 28 in 1966.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Those goal kicking figures are a tragedy. I think
    Wee Georgie Bisset won once with 21 goals and Kevin Jackman with 16 but that was back in the 60s. Someone will know for sure. I'd say our points for has taken a big tumble this year. Very frustrating year.
    Adrian Campbell could have been anything but ended up as footnote in the memory banks of old time supporters. Had every skill in the book and every injury known to sports science.
    He didn't just have a medical file - he had his own cabinet. He made Tom Williams look bullet proof.
    We off-loaded him to Melbourne where he'd be closer to the Epworth where they kept a room on call especially for him.
    Did play a part in the chain of play that resulted in Billy the Kid kicking one of the greatest match winning goals ever seen at the G. And for that Adrian will forever remain in my memory as Son of the 'Scray.
    Ah yes, Adrian Campbell. Bad knees. At one stage we had lot of 'potential' gun forwards: Campbell, Johnny Balantyne, Danny DelRe and Phil O'Keefe. jB did ok at the pies, Danny had a great '92, Campbell to the Dees and i think Phil ended up back at local footy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Just noticed that Stringer is likely to win our goal kicking with a paltry 24 unless Picken can kick 4 or more on Friday night to surpass him (or Bont 5). That will be the lowest total since Adrian Campbell managed to steer just 21 through the big sticks in 1989.
    In the late 60's I remember Merv Hobbs and EJ tying for the goalkicking at either 16 or 18 goals each.

Post Thanks / Like

George won the goal kicking with 16. Kevin Jackman (ex-Tottenham Tech) booted 28 in 1966.
    Yes I was wrong about EJ and Merv Hobbs winning goalkicking it was Wee Georgie and Merv Hobbs winning jointly in 1963 with 16. Both were rovers

Post Thanks / Like

Through injury over the past two years and serious fitness or conditioning shortfalls, Stringer is in some ways a victim of our own ball movement which is poor, and a change in how defenders set up across the ground over recent times. In addition, I think he has some serious mental issues which affect how he approaches each contest, in each game.

I struggle to understand how a man of his physical and intimidating presence can have such a small impact on a game so regularly, and as a five year veteran of the AFL, not know that running, doing the hard things and doing them often is the way to remove himself from the two year malaise he's apparently working through.

It genuinely baffles me.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Yes I was wrong about EJ and Merv Hobbs winning goalkicking it was Wee Georgie and Merv Hobbs winning jointly in 1963 with 16. Both were rovers
    1963 - that was a miserable year. I saw Merv Hobbs kick 7 against South at the Western Oval.
    We had another very good rover who had a brief career with us in the 60s - Graeme "Pudden" Chalmers. He left us to become an airline pilot.

Post Thanks / Like

1963 - that was a miserable year. I saw Merv Hobbs kick 7 against South at the Western Oval.
    We had another very good rover who had a brief career with us in the 60s - Graeme "Pudden" Chalmers. He left us to become an airline pilot.
    Yes I liked Pudden too. A local Spotty boy. Played more seconds games I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoying the 60's talk fella's. Just before my time. Aware of guys like Whitten, Schulz, Bisset & Hobbs. No doubt there were other good players although they seemed like a pretty ordinary decade for the dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

So i think we finish with Picko and Jake sharing the goal kicking award with 24 each.

Post Thanks / Like

24 goals - I saw Simon Beasley kick 12 in an afternoon against Geelong.
    We badly need to improve our forward line.

Post Thanks / Like

24 goals - I saw Simon Beasley kick 12 in an afternoon against Geelong.
    We badly need to improve our forward line.

Saw Beazer kick 12 a couple of times I reckon.

Checked it out and it was 3 times, v Richmond, v Geelong and v Melbourne. Also 11 v Richmond and 10 v the Brissy Bears. Chuck in 3 bags of 9 and I wonder what he's doing next year?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Yes I liked Pudden too. A local Spotty boy. Played more seconds games I think.
    I remember Graeme Chalmers as one of the "Galahs", the touring team to Ireland. I believe that he was the goalkeeper for the team, and a very good one too.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Plough has a look at Stringers value Stringer

Former Western Bulldogs and Richmond coach Terry Wallace says Jake Stringer still has value as a footballer and can be used as a good bargaining tool for the Dogs.

"He's a valuable commodity," he told SEN's Hungry For Sport.

"He's worth an early first round pick, but if it's a late round first year pick, a club would have to offer something else in my opinion. He's going to go straight into a footy club and have a difference. Clubs would be jumping over themselves to get to him.

"He was dropped in their premiership year but was also their leading goalkicker (42 goals), he's a former first round draft pick at the right age. I've got a feeling he will go."

The premiership star kicked five goals in the last eight games of a disappointing season for the reigning premiers. The 23-year-old still has a year to go on his contract.

I think it will be very hard to get an early pick for Stringer but there might be a club or two desperate to land an excitement machine like Stringer.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

15. Thanks ratsmac thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another one from SEN

The case for, and against, trading Stringer

Former champions Garry Lyon and Tim Watson have argued the merits in favour, and against, a potential trade involving Western Bulldogs forward Jake Stringer.

Damian Barrett reported on The Footy Show last night that the Bulldogs and Stringer have grown frustrated with one another, and the 2016 premiers could explore a trade for the 2015 All-Australian. Additionally, Barrett also reported rival clubs are starting to put packages together for Stringer, and Lyon believes the Dogs should listen to all offers.

“I would be taking inquiries [on Stringer],” he told SEN Breakfast.

“He has yet to demonstrate the required mental aptitude which would suggest he is a top-10 pick. You’re exploring your options. You look at it and say, ok, if there is someone on the marketplace that has a higher opinion of Jake, or is prepare to pay a price that we can’t knock back, then you have to explore those avenues.”

However, Watson disagreed, saying Stringer is too good of a footballer to give up on at the age of 23.

“I am surprised…I can’t believe they might even be considering moving him,” the four-time Essendon best and fairest winner said.

“This bloke is an All-Australian, a natural talent. At his best, and while it’s true we haven’t seen enough of it, he is a match winner. He is a game changer and they don’t grow on trees.

“I’m a huge fan of Luke Beveridge, but maybe Stringer has exhausted his patience, maybe he isn’t buying into the team-first philosophy. Stringer can appear to play in a bubble at times; making the appearance he is more concerned with his self, rather than the team.

“However, we are talking about a team that struggled in the front half this season, and a team that doesn’t take a direct route to goal. I don’t think he is a flash in the pan and I don’t think he is a one hit wonder. His consistent best is yet to come and there are better days ahead for him.”
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Thanks ratsmac thanked for this post