Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL returning to VU Whitten Oval?

http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news...u-whitten-oval

AFL returning to VU Whitten Oval?
    westernbulldogs.com.au
    22 August 2017 10:29 AM

Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon says that he hasn’t written off playing for premierships points at the Clubs’ spiritual home of VU Whitten Oval in the future.

The ground last hosted an AFL match back in Round 21 1997 and has since become the home of the Club’s VFL and AFWL sides.

The site is currently the Bulldogs’ administration and training headquarters.

Speaking on ABC Radio on the weekend, Gordon said the Club had ambitious plans for the precinct and its role in growing women’s football but with continued development, he said it could once again host an AFL game.

“We have ambitious plans to build that as a central home for women’s footy and VFL,” Gordon said.

“And if we get to the stage where we can comfortably accommodate 15,000 people seated there in the future, then we wouldn’t rule out saying that we’d want the odd heritage game of AFL fixtured there.

“We want to build the Whitten Oval so it’s a great home for the growing generations populating the western region of Melbourne now, but we want to preserve its soul.”
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL returning to VU Whitten Oval?

Hmm, interesting. When Peter was questioned about this at last years agm, he was very definite that the old girl had seen her last game of AFL.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that Ballarat inspired him

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Hmm, interesting. When Peter was questioned about this at last years agm, he was very definite that the old girl had seen her last game of AFL.
    Yeah probably right but Peter still keeping the door open.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Was there last week for the VFL sitting up in the Whitten Stand. Would love in the future to play 1 game there per year but would require a major redevelopment obviously. Ballarat now looks like the future for us going forward but AFL footy back at Whitten Oval you just never know.

6. Thanks Rocco Jones thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's stick with one thing at a time and make Ballarat a success first.

It's been 20 odd years, the footy ground can wait a little while longer before games return.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Let's stick with one thing at a time and make Ballarat a success first.

It's been 20 odd years, the footy ground can wait a little while longer before games return.
    True. Hopefully will be better there next season get more used to playing the ground and conditions. 2 games in Ballarat in 2018. The result this year was dissapointing but the crowd number was very good and my mate that went said he enjoyed the game day experience there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    True. Hopefully will be better there next season get more used to playing the ground and conditions. 2 games in Ballarat in 2018. The result this year was dissapointing but the crowd number was very good and my mate that went said he enjoyed the game day experience there.
    It was a good day. I met Liam Picken's dad Billy.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

10. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Feel like this was a bit of an ambit suggestion, to keep Ballarat honest now we aren't going to Cairns and are all in.