Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs to give Cairns home games the boot

Link

THE SUCCESS of the Western Bulldogs' venture into Ballarat will see the club no longer request to play home games in Cairns.

With the weekend's clash against Port Adelaide in Ballarat a winner in every department except for the result, it bodes well for the deal struck with the regional city and the Victorian Government for the Bulldogs to play two games a year at Mars Stadium until the 2021 season.

CEO Gary Kent told AFL.com.au while the club won't be seeking a home game in far north Queensland in the future, the Bulldogs are keen to be involved as an away team.

With Gold Coast unable to use Metricon Stadium for a large period of next season due to the Commonwealth Games, the Suns could host the Bulldogs after three years of the roles being reversed.
    "Having two games in Ballarat and trying to keep a home game in Cairns will be quite difficult," Kent said.
    "We said to the AFL we'd like to keep playing up there but preferably as the away team from next year onwards.
    "We'd love to keep supporting Cairns, we've had great support there from the locals and our fans travelling up."
    While the three-year commitment to play home games in Cairns was good for the Dogs' bottom line, the move into Ballarat is proving to be another wise investment.

With the venue a 'clean stadium' for AFL games, the Dogs made a "positive" return from advertising and hospitality revenue streams, Kent said.

Last year's premiership triumph is doing wonders for reducing the club's once-crippling debt by increasing crowds, membership and sponsorship and a presence in country Victoria will give the Dogs a chance to grow even more.
    If the Ballarat venture continues to thrive, Kent hopes the ground will be developed even further to accommodate a much larger crowd than the near-capacity attendance of 10,087 on the weekend.

"I think everyone saw what sort of demand there is, and we've got 47,000 members who all weren't able to get in the stadium, so we'd be very much supportive of expanding, and the State Government will be too eventually," Kent said.
    "The City of Ballarat sponsorship is significant, as well as making that our heartland, in terms of fans and members for the club.

"The city and the people of Ballarat have really got behind us. You could see that from the red, white and blue throughout the grandstand and on the hill.

"We're really delighted with the first game, and what it's going to do in terms of commercial returns over time for us."
    And while the Power spoiled the Bulldogs' house-warming party, Kent said it wouldn't be long before their new kennel would give them a home ground advantage.

He added the club will continue to lobby to play one South Australian side due to the venue being an eight-hour drive from Adelaide, and another fixture against another non-Victorian club.

"Players and football department were delighted with the facilities and playing surface," Kent said.

"It very much (did remind me of the atmosphere at the Whitten Oval), and we love playing at Etihad Stadium, and play great football there, but that small model boutique venue reminded me very much of the old days."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs to give Cairns home games the boot

Good result, even Moreso playing GCS as the away team. Having our cake, and eating it too.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Good result, even Moreso playing GCS as the away team. Having our cake, and eating it too.
    Being an away game we would lose all The revenue we made playing there wouldn't we ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Being an away game we would lose all The revenue we made playing there wouldn't we ?
    We've committed to 2 games in Ballarat per year until 2021 - hence, no longer requiring playing a home game in Cairns.

The reason for the comment re; playing an away game there, is that we have played well there, and have established ourselves somewhat with the Cairns locals - and are therefore happy to be the away side there once a season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    We've committed to 2 games in Ballarat per year until 2021 - hence, no longer requiring playing a home game in Cairns.

The reason for the comment re; playing an away game there, is that we have played well there, and have established ourselves somewhat with the Cairns locals - and are therefore happy to be the away side there once a season.
    Good excuse to go to Cairns too.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Hope to play the Suns in Victoria next year for the 1st time in a while (could be our 2nd Ballarat game), while the Suns will be playing at least one home game in Cairns due to the Commonwealth Games being based at Metricon. We may as well continue our love affair with Cairns by being the away team.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, but leaves us a foot print up there. The cash is coming from Ballarat now. But you know, we send up a few players before the start of the year for a holiday/kids clinic and members sign up drive. Hopefully keep any members up there signed up and if we are the away team, maybe sell some merchandise too.

Just when we started winning the week after playing in Cairns we give it away!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how our "once crippling debt" is going.
    The media love Plying that statement to us when most clubs even Collingwood had the same problem once.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how our "once crippling debt" is going.
    The media love Plying that statement to us when most clubs even Collingwood had the same problem once.
    We would win the next 10 premierships, have the highest membership, a Scrooge McDuck money swimming room, players and coaches with sponsors on every stitch of clothing... And it wouldn't change the media narrative. I just choose now to cut down on my media intake. I get it mainly just here now, and Jesus FN Christ that brain fart from Campbell Brown yesterday killed at least 1,000,000 of my brain cells.

We are still the reigning premiership club this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs or not, I'm going back to Cairns! Great part of the world.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post

Save a spot for me Andrew. We can do the Great Barrier Reef submarine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Save a spot for me Andrew. We can do the Great Barrier Reef submarine.
    Hmmm. I've heard Navy guys mention they do this to new recruits. You want to voluntarily do it?

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm. I've heard Navy guys mention they do this to new recruits. You want to voluntarily do it?
    You can change now to the Ballarat goldfields tours and snow trips .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Just wish the ground was an hour up the road in Port Douglas!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've already been there and done it. Got a pair of shorts and everything. (they were out of T-shirts.)