Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

End of the line for big Dogs? Bevo won't say

link

FORWARDS Travis Cloke and Stewart Crameri may have played their last games for the Western Bulldogs, with Luke Beveridge unable to guarantee the duo's future at the club.

Cloke, who has battled mental health problems and form slumps this season, isn't a definite starter against Hawthorn on Friday night due to soreness and a six-day break.

The 30-year-old has kicked 11 goals from 10 matches this season since crossing from Collingwood on a two-year deal at the end of 2016, and could possibly join Robert Murphy and Matthew Boyd in retirement.

Crameri, out of contract at season's end, defected from Essendon to Whitten Oval on a four-year deal at the end of 2013.

A hip injury has restricted the 29-year-old to just two games this season, while his 2016 season was wiped out by the year-long ban for his part in the Essendon supplements scandal.

With the Bulldogs likely to become the first premier since Hawthorn in 2009 to miss finals the following year, Beveridge was unable to guarantee the high-profile pair would be wearing red, white and blue next season.

(Travis is) contracted, so we'd assume (he'd play on)," Beveridge said on Thursday.

"We're working through all of that decision making at the moment, and Stewart is one of the players that is uncontracted, but there is ongoing talks with his management and other (players').

"We don't want to delist or exit a lot of players, we want to make sure we make good decisions around what's available in the upcoming draft.

"There's a bit of water to go under the bridge as far as processing list management stuff between now and (list lodgements).

"There's too much up in the air."

While Cloke and Crameri's future is uncertain, veteran Dale Morris is almost certain to play on into a 14th season.

The coach believes the durable defender has more to offer to a young Bulldogs backline that will be without Murphy and Matthew Boyd in 2018.

Another area Beveridge will need to address is his side's inability to score from an abundance of inside 50s this season.

The Dogs sit fourth in the AFL in forward forays with 1,154 at an average of 55 per game, but have been plagued by inefficiency in attack, and are clear last when it comes to goal accuracy (42.8).

The premiership coach once again acknowledged the glaring deficiency and said improvement would be sought from outside the club.

The Dogs are likely to have a top-ten pick for the first time since the 2014 NAB AFL Draft, and that could be used to attract some more class from another team to compliment the club's array of inside midfielders.

"(We'll look trade and free agency), but there'll be some organic improvement within the club," Beveridge said.

"Our efficiency, skill, and decision making hasn't been where we'd like it to be, and that's linked to things other than just raw skill.

"It's running capacity, opposition pressure and so many other things, so we've trained that and (must) deal with it better.

"It's still a significant work in progress."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: End of the line for big Dogs? Bevo won't say

"attract some more class from another team"?

I like the sound of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Mmm someone's on the radar obviously.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Must be. If this is correct and Redpath is potentially looking to sign elsewhere. Surely we have something in mind. Otherwise that's Red, Cloke and Crameri all gone. We would have no power forward. Especially with Boyds mental wellbeing and if rumours are true we're looking to deal Stringer....

Tom Lynch anyone? (The Gold Coast version)

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have the GCS captain in a heart beat, but it'd be against the odds with him having a contract next year and Peter Wright until 2019. I wonder if the label covers Paddy McCartin, also contracted? Jack Gunston, also contracted?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Must be. If this is correct and Redpath is potentially looking to sign elsewhere. Surely we have something in mind. Otherwise that's Red, Cloke and Crameri all gone. We would have no power forward. Especially with Boyds mental wellbeing and if rumours are true we're looking to deal Stringer....

Tom Lynch is a pipedream. I'm down.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt we will lose Stringer, that is just media buffoons making things up. Tom Lynch is contracted till end of next year.

We need Tom Boyd back at FF, and get a new second ruck.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I doubt we will lose Stringer, that is just media buffoons making things up. Tom Lynch is contracted till end of next year.

We need Tom Boyd back at FF, and get a new second ruck.
    Eric Hipwood is out of contract. 202cm.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Eric Hipwood is out of contract. 202cm.
    A very impressive kid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    A very impressive kid
    Absolutely, I started looking into lists of uncontracted talented KPFs and couldn't believe he was uncontracted. I can't believe he's not sealed away yet. Interesting...

Post Thanks / Like

Hipwood is interesting. I had no idea either.

Academy selection though. How have they not signed him yet

Post Thanks / Like

Hipwood is interesting. I had no idea either.

Academy selection though. How have they not signed him yet
    Delete reference. The site I was using seems to have missed an extension of his. However, he might still be tempted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Delete reference. The site I was using seems to have missed an extension of his. However, he might still be tempted.
    Sounds unlikely

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...b1f32ca173ffc4

Post Thanks / Like

Great news Moz will go again!

Post Thanks / Like

Then it's going to surprising who it actually is. I don't see any obvious candidates.