Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Preseason 2018 . Where do we go ?

So where are we headed, what's our new game plan ? Who will go ?
    , will we go more kicking ? Will we replace coaches ?
    Will Bob or Matt stay on in some way ?
    Where exactly did we go wrong and has the club recognised it and how to rectify it?
    Would love to know people's thoughts and how close we actually are to knowing what is actually happening "inside the 4 walls"
    I'm well and truely over the media, their rumours and assumptions.

My thoughts are as I've said before it's a breakdown between the forward and mid coach, I still see the list as very good if we play properly.
    Kicking from all angles on the run and set shots should be a huge priority.
    Lowering our eyes and getting the forwards running to the positions our mids are strong at getting it to would help immensly.
    Bring back the biff

2. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preseason 2018 . Where do we go ?

Big men who can take contested marks all over the ground.
    A fwd structure that can hold the ball in until we score (like 2016)
    Serious need of a goal kicking coach, and new blood into the MC

Whatever our game plan was in 2017, we need to scrap it and go back to 2016 and redefine slightly with a more direct approach into fwd line. Bombing into 50 only a last option.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

4. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would just love to see the young talls come back bigger next year. English and young. I reckon both will be great players for 10 years. Hope boyd can get back to finals 2016 form. We need him up forward. I think with a fit list. We have all the tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Some Points to correct

* The last three weeks is summoned up in three words, Patton, Dixon, Roughead. We are desperate for a 198cm plus Fullback who can play on the monsters. Forget Cordy, Adams and Roberts and not sure Collins will develop into anything. All good players , but really they are not KPP. They can take on the third talls, but not the monsters of the game. Think Tom Lynch, Buddy, Daniher. The past three weeks these blokes have kicked 13 goals, Daniher kicked 6. We just don't have the monster that can go with these blokes. Forget trying to put Jordan Roughead back to Full back, people have short memories, he was not the answer then and not the answer now.

* We need to fix our injury management, the constant hamstrings to Stringer and Wood and other soft tissue injuries.

* Forward line - Tom Boyd needs to stay at home and forget this rucking BS. This means we need to find another ruckman to help Roughead. Soup is just not the answer. 3 disposals last night says it all.

* We need some midfielders that can actually kick the ball long and accurate and hit targets. As much as guys like Mclean and Dahl have guts and determination and can find the ball, they just can't kick the bloody thing. We also need a good outside mid with genuine pace.

* Assistant coaches - need a clean out and a new lot to come in with fresh ideas, Bevo can't do it on his own, but he can manage people and motivate them, but he needs guys that can teach the basic skills and a senior assistant that is a tactician.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Some Points to correct

* The last three weeks is summoned up in three words, Patton, Dixon, Roughead. We are desperate for a 198cm plus Fullback who can play on the monsters. Forget Cordy, Adams and Roberts and not sure Collins will develop into anything. All good players , but really they are not KPP. They can take on the third talls, but not the monsters of the game. Think Tom Lynch, Buddy, Daniher. The past three weeks these blokes have kicked 13 goals, Daniher kicked 6. We just don't have the monster that can go with these blokes. Forget trying to put Jordan Roughead back to Full back, people have short memories, he was not the answer then and not the answer now.

* We need to fix our injury management, the constant hamstrings to Stringer and Wood and other soft tissue injuries.

* Forward line - Tom Boyd needs to stay at home and forget this rucking BS. This means we need to find another ruckman to help Roughead. Soup is just not the answer. 3 disposals last night says it all.

* We need some midfielders that can actually kick the ball long and accurate and hit targets. As much as guys like Mclean and Dahl have guts and determination and can find the ball, they just can't kick the bloody thing. We also need a good outside mid with genuine pace.

* Assistant coaches - need a clean out and a new lot to come in with fresh ideas, Bevo can't do it on his own, but he can manage people and motivate them, but he needs guys that can teach the basic skills and a senior assistant that is a tactician.
    Agree with all the above. On the talk backman, who are these players in other teams? I struggle to think of many 198cm+ fullbackman. Perhaps it's a strength issue with us?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Agree with all the above. On the talk backman, who are these players in other teams? I struggle to think of many 198cm+ fullbackman. Perhaps it's a strength issue with us?
    Yeah there really isn't much around (Liam Jones ). Even Lever is only 194cm and 85kg, so he is more your CHB attacking type.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah there really isn't much around (Liam Jones ). Even Lever is only 194cm and 85kg, so he is more your CHB attacking type.
    I need to go through all the full backs for every team. But thinking about it perhaps it's either our fullbacks are young and underdeveloped (just thinking about Young, Cordy getting ragdolled easily) OR our team defence just isn't working because we have players all over the ground letting us down leading to our backs being out of position. We didn't have this issue last year. It might be a combination of discipline and youth/inexperience. Discipline at stoppages and from our midfield plus getting a stronger Cordy, a mature Collins and a healthier Adams should fix these problems. Perhaps this is where he interest in Trengove and Shoenmakers has come from. Ready to go mature backmen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I need to go through all the full backs for every team. But thinking about it perhaps it's either our fullbacks are young and underdeveloped (just thinking about Young, Cordy getting ragdolled easily) OR our team defence just isn't working because we have players all over the ground letting us down leading to our backs being out of position. We didn't have this issue last year. It might be a combination of discipline and youth/inexperience. Discipline at stoppages and from our midfield plus getting a stronger Cordy, a mature Collins and a healthier Adams should fix these problems. Perhaps this is where he interest in Trengove and Shoenmakers has come from. Ready to go mature backmen.
    Although not ideal, we may have to take on these type till our younger guys mature (as you say)

Post Thanks / Like

Collins is the great white hope when it comes to someone to take on the monster forwards. Let's hope his improvement comes quickly.
    Much of the problem might be solved if we can get our best defenders fit and firing. We didn't have the massive key defender last year but we did have a really cohesive backline and the only one of them we are losing is Boyd. If we can get Adams back on the park consistently and get Easton Wood back to his best, I reckon we have a pretty good defence. Certainly Cordy has been one of the positives.

A better performing midfield would also help in preventing the ball coming into the opposition firwardline too easily.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    We didn't have the massive key defender last year but we did have a really cohesive backline and the only one of them we are losing is Boyd
    Hamling is gone too
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Some Points to correct

It's a good summation BD.

Where do we see the future for Roughy in our line up? As much as I love Jordan the person, and his love for the Club, he has proven that he struggles in the role as key defender and has been shown up quite badly in the ruck for the best part of the season. Unless he can make something of his career up forward can we continue to carry him?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    It's a good summation BD.

Where do we see the future for Roughy in our line up? As much as I love Jordan the person, and his love for the Club, he has proven that he struggles in the role as key defender and has been shown up quite badly in the ruck for the best part of the season. Unless he can make something of his career up forward can we continue to carry him?
    I still see him in the ruck role, but perhaps as second ruck. If he can get an injury free preseason under his belt, then we can see if he can play the role.

Post Thanks / Like

I still see him in the ruck role, but perhaps as second ruck. If he can get an injury free preseason under his belt, then we can see if he can play the role.
    This poses the question whether we can afford to have TBoyd at full forward, and Jordan as the resting ruckman in the forward half ? As you say, he's probably not much more than a 2nd ruck; There appears few opposing first rucks that get bashed up physically like Jordan does.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    This poses the question whether we can afford to have TBoyd at full forward, and Jordan as the resting ruckman in the forward half ? As you say, he's probably not much more than a 2nd ruck; There appears few opposing first rucks that get bashed up physically like Jordan does.
    I agree it is a dilemma. I thought his tap work last night wasn't too bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Roughead is good depth, he's a versatile type who can stop the bleeding in any area of the ground, but if he's your best in any given position you're struggling
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff