Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preseason 2018 . Where do we go ?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    This poses the question whether we can afford to have TBoyd at full forward, and Jordan as the resting ruckman in the forward half ? As you say, he's probably not much more than a 2nd ruck; There appears few opposing first rucks that get bashed up physically like Jordan does.
    Roughead struggled this year and it had an impact on our midfield. His injury early in the season might be a contributing factor but I'm not sure we can trust that.
    There is no doubt that he is a quality guy to have at the club but he isn't quite a number one ruckman and he doesn't take enough marks in the forward line to really make an impression there.
    We to either find a better ruckman which is probably doubtful or add some depth in case his form warrants him to be dropped.

I think he starts next year as the number #1 unless we do something unexpected.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder with the change in rules this year if Wilbur may have had more game time.
    The one thing about Will was he was durable.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't mind Wallis being tried in a half back role similar to how Matty Boyd played there.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Good post BAD . The only thing I'll add is that there has to be pressure for the ball coming in to the opp forward half .To often this year that hasn't happened , and the defender has been caught out facing our opponents goal .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I wouldn't mind Wallis being tried in a half back role similar to how Matty Boyd played there.
    I like this idea. JJ, Suckling, Biggs and Williams are all a bit underdeveloped as contested players. We missed Boyd's contested toughness across half back this year. Wallis would help in this area. Like Boyd, his disposal effectiveness will probably improve a lot with that smidge more time and space.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I called this 3 years ago! Do it Bevo!

His skills are pretty good when he's not at the coal-face. Probably (definitely) isn't as good marking the ball at Boyd, but I think his footy nous will be super handy organising what will be a pretty inexperienced back 6 next year, especially with the 600-odd games coming out of it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I called this 3 years ago! Do it Bevo!

His skills are pretty good when he's not at the coal-face. Probably (definitely) isn't as good marking the ball at Boyd, but I think his footy nous will be super handy organising what will be a pretty inexperienced back 6 next year, especially with the 600-odd games coming out of it.
    Didn't he have a stint on the HBF under BMacc
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Who's B-Mac?

Post Thanks / Like

If Wallis cannot reinvent himself, I don't see how he plays regular senior footy because he isn't good enough to be playing midfield.

HBF isn't a bad suggestion but Boyd was always very sure with his hands, read the play well and took intercepting marks. There's been no evidence to suggest that Wallis has any of these traits, but it could be worth a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Didn't everyone? BMac wanted to turn all 22 players on the ground into dirty back pocket plumbers.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Didn't everyone? BMac wanted to turn all 22 players on the ground into dirty back pocket plumbers.
    Gotta give him credit though - without his help we never would have figured out that trying to turn everyone into what their floor as a player could be doesn't work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    If Wallis cannot reinvent himself, I don't see how he plays regular senior footy because he isn't good enough to be playing midfield.

HBF isn't a bad suggestion but Boyd was always very sure with his hands, read the play well and took intercepting marks. There's been no evidence to suggest that Wallis has any of these traits, but it could be worth a try.
    I'm in agreeance, I too don't see the skills required for this role in Mitch... but I'm not sure what other options there are for him as we have depth in his most suited role and his skill-set doesn't have him in front of any, and his limitations have him behind others.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I'm in agreeance, I too don't see the skills required for this role in Mitch... but I'm not sure what other options there are for him as we have depth in his most suited role and his skill-set doesn't have him in front of any, and his limitations have him behind others.
    Not that it's super relevant, but I definitely didn't see the skills in Boyd to do it before he was moved there too. Wallis is a very clever, if not super athletic footballer. I can't see the skills currently, but I can foresee them. Wouldn't shock me at all if he was something of a revelation in that role.

Post Thanks / Like

Wally doesn't have the overhead ability or clean hands that Boyd always had. In fact, his hands were concrete like at times in the VFL on the weekend.

Not saying it couldn't work - who saw Boyd becoming an AA HBF'er - but I don't see it happening.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

How about Stringer on the Half-Back line? At least he will be dragged into the play, has a burst of pace and can get it moving forward quickly. (Mind you, we will have to still put up with the obligatory 2 holding the ball decisions a game, but the positives should outweigh the negatives).