Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preseason 2018 . Where do we go ?

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Wally doesn't have the overhead ability or clean hands that Boyd always had. In fact, his hands were concrete like at times in the VFL on the weekend.

Not saying it couldn't work - who saw Boyd becoming an AA HBF'er - but I don't see it happening.
    Mitch doesn't have the skills on his wrong side either. Boydy ended up being a very proficient left foot kick. His hands were also brilliant.

Perhaps Wallis will need to go back to a negating role.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Mitch doesn't have the skills on his wrong side either. Boydy ended up being a very proficient left foot kick. His hands were also brilliant.

Perhaps Wallis will need to go back to a negating role.
    Mitch is a very reliable set shot. Maybe more of a permanent role in the forward line could be on the cards?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Mitch is a very reliable set shot. Maybe more of a permanent role in the forward line could be on the cards?
    The Toby Greene template? Ball winning mid with crap disposal skills but has become a serious weapon up forward. Worth a shot as I fear for his future as a mid with no hurt factor.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Yes he is a reliable set shot but finds it difficult get separation on his defender. I think its midfield or bust with him.

Post Thanks / Like

From inside 35m.. but isn't this the role Dickson fills? Can't see how you play them both in this role as neither is quick or strong overhead.

Post Thanks / Like

Goalkicking accuracy needs to be addressed. If we had been closer in the race for the 8, our inaccuracy / poor % would have cost us anyway.
    Roughhead is not the answer at fullback, someone like May or McGovern is and Collins may be. Roberts never was unfortunately.
    We also need a seasoned ruckman, recruit Kruezer.
    Jake Stringer needs a massive pre-season aerobically and he could be a midfield gun.
    Smith, Cloke, Webb, Honeychurch are borderline.
    Throw a bucket of $ at Eric Hipwood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    From inside 35m.. but isn't this the role Dickson fills? Can't see how you play them both in this role as neither is quick or strong overhead.
    Yep. Was thinking the same thing.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

-Continuity instead of flexibility and that goes to all areas of the field.
    -Kicking club instead of the handball club.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we need to start planning for life after Dickson. Injury prone and once he's copped one, he takes months to get back to full fitness. Doesn't strike me as a bloke who will play well into his 30s.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's garbage to suggest Wallis can't be an effective cog within our midfield mix, particularly after a solid preseason. What he achieved this year is overlooked by his struggle in some games in which much of the team was ordinary and under performing. His disposal deficiencies are overblown, and his hands in close are outstanding when he is in form.

We should be fostering his ability to get forward and kick a goal from time to time as a midfielder, not looking to reinvent his game or move him on. With Liberatore out of form and Bont having to play forward it was clear a lot was left for Wallis to do in the grunt stakes, and this clearly took a toll on him throughout the year.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    -Continuity instead of flexibility and that goes to all areas of the field.
    -Kicking club instead of the handball club.
    Why can't we be both?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think it's garbage to suggest Wallis can't be an effective cog within our midfield mix, particularly after a solid preseason. What he achieved this year is overlooked by his struggle in some games in which much of the team was ordinary and under performing. His disposal deficiencies are overblown, and his hands in close are outstanding when he is in form.

We should be fostering his ability to get forward and kick a goal from time to time as a midfielder, not looking to reinvent his game or move him on. With Liberatore out of form and Bont having to play forward it was clear a lot was left for Wallis to do in the grunt stakes, and this clearly took a toll on him throughout the year.
    I think it's naive to believe that we can go back to what didn't work this year and believe all is well.. It's fact that that our midfield lacks pace and kicking depth & precision so we need to change up the mix. McLean was a welcomed addition to the midfield in the latter part of the year and it was no surprise to see Daniel get more midfield minutes at the expense of the like of Dahlhaus & Wallis who weren't being effective in those roles.

I will watch with interest how we move forward with regard to our midfield mix.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's naive to believe that we can go back to what didn't work this year and believe all is well.. It's fact that that our midfield lacks pace and kicking depth & precision so we need to change up the mix. McLean was a welcomed addition to the midfield in the latter part of the year and it was no surprise to see Daniel get more midfield minutes at the expense of the like of Dahlhaus & Wallis who weren't being effective in those roles.

I will watch with interest how we move forward with regard to our midfield mix.
    It would be naive, and there's no way I would suggest we should leave things as they are!

I like the idea of Dahl and McLean rotating through the middle, with the former spending a greater portion of time forward than he has in recent times (past 24-36 months). We need someone with genuine pace and tenacity to apply forward defencive pressure, as we really struggle to keep the ball in there without flooding the space which makes it difficult to score and us too easy to score against on the break. To cover Dahl's absence in the middle, we need to inject more pace into the mix from external sources whilst giving more midfield time to Daniel.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Libba, we can't have both him and Wallis playing with the same productivity delivered in 2017. I'm confident the latter will progress over the preseason, I'm not comfortable with the former - something at the back of my mind says things with him won't be fixed easily within a short period of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Agree. We have to remember too the Wally came back after that serious leg injury so It wasn't unusual that he found the end of the year tough. His last full season 2015 he finished in the top 10 at the B & F so he is still a valuable player for us. After a full pre season I think he will come back to his best form

Post Thanks / Like

I would prefer we play Dahlhaus predominately as a small forward with less time spent in the midfield. He just doesn't do enough with his disposal whereas up forward he can provide pressure and snag the odd goal. His midfield minutes should be taken by Stringer.