Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  31
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Other Club Delistings 2017 - Any interest.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/bil...cb79c75b20aef8

SPEEDY wingman Billy Hartung can now be picked up as a delisted free agent after being delisted by Hawthorn on Thursday afternoon.

Hartung was one of three players delisted by the Hawks, with Kade Stewart and Dallas Willsmore also removed from the senior list. However the Hawks have committed to re-drafting Willsmore as a rookie in November.

The delisting of Hartung comes as the biggest surprise after the 22-year-old featured in 18 of a possible 22 senior games and averaged a career-high 22 disposals for the Hawks in 2017. He finished the season strongly as well, producing career-high disposals (32), contested possessions (10), marks (nine) and inside 50s (five) against Carlton in Round 22.

OFF-SEASON CENTRAL: EVERY CLUB’S LIST CHANGES

However the Hawks’ recent acquisition of fellow speedster Jarman Impey via Port Adelaide didn’t help Hartung’s cause.

“We would also like to extend our thanks to Billy and Kade for their contribution to Hawthorn,” club recruiting and list manager Graham Wright said.

“Both players have demonstrated great commitment to the club and we wish them all the best in their future endeavours.”

Hartung, who holds the record for the best beep test result (16.06) in AFL draft combine history, was one of the Hawks’ key outside line-breakers over recent years.

He came within a whisker of being a premiership player in 2015, representing the Hawks in the preliminary final against Fremantle before being replaced by the returning Jack Gunston for the Grand Final. That came after playing 20 senior games and earning a Rising Star nomination in the same season.

But Melbourne great David Schwarz said Hartung needed to improve the defensive aspect of his game.

“His lack of pressure was the issue I think that the Hawks had problems with and just his overall toughness,” Schwarz told SEN’s The Run Home.

“But he’s got speed and he’s got the know-how. If he can get the other side of his game right, he could be a handy pick up for someone.”

Hartung can now not only be picked up as a delisted free agent, but also nominate to be taken in either the national or rookie drafts in November.

Scott Lucas, Hartung’s manager, did indicate during the AFL trade period that there had been “some interest from other clubs”.

In other Hawthorn list news, midfielder Jono O’Rourke and key backman Kurt Heatherley have signed one-year deals to remain at the Hawks.

“Jonathan had an injury interrupted season, so we trust with a full pre-season under his belt he’ll be able to perform at his best next year,” Wright said.

“Kurt had a solid year at VFL level and also managed four senior games. We hope he can continue to develop his craft as a key backman next season.”

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if our club would be interested in trying to re-invigorate the career of Ben Lennon, who has been delisted by Richmond.

If I recall correctly, he came through 18s with Bonti at the Knights, and was a first round pick in the draft. Kicks the ball really well - just never seemed to quite cut through.

I think there is something there to work with talent-wise.

Post Thanks / Like

Was just speaking to someone who knows others that have sat in the Hawthorn coaching box on occasion. Apparently Clarkson was constantly frustrated with Hartung, thinks he's soft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I wonder if our club would be interested in trying to re-invigorate the career of Ben Lennon, who has been delisted by Richmond.

If I recall correctly, he came through 18s with Bonti at the Knights, and was a first round pick in the draft. Kicks the ball really well - just never seemed to quite cut through.

I think there is something there to work with talent-wise.
    I read he was a pick 12
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Was just speaking to someone who knows others that have sat in the Hawthorn coaching box on occasion. Apparently Clarkson was constantly frustrated with Hartung, thinks he's soft.
    Not surprised. Kicking skills & decision making wasn't good either. Prime example why speed isn't everything. I would take someone who can use it over someone who can run everyday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    Not surprised. Kicking skills & decision making wasn't good either. Prime example why speed isn't everything. I would take someone who can use it over someone who can run everyday.
    You can kick a ball faster to a spot than any man in history would be able to run there so kicking is more important than foot speed I reckon.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

7. Likes anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hartung runs quickly and that’s it . Bit of a question mark on Lennon’s workrate, certainly has the talent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Hartung runs quickly and that’s it . Bit of a question mark on Lennon’s workrate, certainly has the talent
    I'd consider rookie listing Lennon if he's still around - we need the depth.

We're a group that should be in tbe premiership window but our forward line looks significantly weaker than it did 12 months ago. He could be one out of the box.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I'd consider rookie listing Lennon if he's still around - we need the depth.

We're a group that should be in tbe premiership window but our forward line looks significantly weaker than it did 12 months ago. He could be one out of the box.
    Seems like a selfish player Lennon & one who doesn't work hard enough for his team mates. I'd be staying away from him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    Seems like a selfish player Lennon & one who doesn't work hard enough for his team mates. I'd be staying away from him.
    I agree, unless someone else has seen something more in him than I have I don't think we need him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Sacking Stringer for concerns over his workrate and fitness levels and then bringing in Ben Lennon, a fatter, far worse version of Stringer, would be ridiculous.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Nick Suban officially delisted. Any interest as a rookie list option for us?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    I think we will go for the younger guys but I quite like him as a player
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Thread just keeps getting grimmer.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I agree, unless someone else has seen something more in him than I have I don't think we need him.
    He hasn't kicked on the way I thought he would - he lacks mobility as a small/medium forward