Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  149
Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 AFL Finals

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 AFL Finals

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    If you tackle around the waist and the person you're tackling contorts their body making your tackle slip to below the knees resulting in a trip, should it be holding the ball?

Footballers have been bending their knees manoeuvring in traffic forever, do they all have to run around as upright as they possibly can now, so as to ensure a tackle doesn't slip over the shoulders?

It's a bonkers rule change. If you're going to try and pin the arms by tackling well above the elbow then you risk tackling high, and so be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I agree, once more a knee jerk reaction without thinking of the consequences of changing a rule.
    Let's just ban tackling and give them tackle belts. At least it would be adjudicated correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Improved on last year
    That's because we weren't there to take them out. The others ganged up on us to keep us out of the finals because they were scared of us.

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Bingo. So if you want to lay the perfect tackle and lock the ball in, you risk giving away a free kick for too high should it slip up above the shoulders. If you want to negate the player but lower the risk of giving away a free kick, you aim lower.

A player lowering their centre of gravity or raising arms when tackled isn't instigating high contact - it's the tackler who's doing that. Lowering your centre of gravity enables you to dispose of the ball more effectively, it also gives you options of going low or high with the handpass in congestion.

Why the AFL gave into the hysteria is beyond me. Now all we have is more hysteria.

The tackler who tackles high wants to do everything (impair disposal and tackle) at the same time but that was never the idea. Is it a little more difficult learning how to pin a tackle around the waste properly too do you think?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Because if the arms are free, you aren't stopping the player from moving the ball on to their team mate via handball.
    There are plenty of situations where players would rather risk giving away a free, than letting the handball get out.
    In the old days the motion of being swung around was usually sufficient to knock the ball free and get dropping the ball but now players are better at hanging on to it.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Players are Told to encourage the tackle so it leaves a player over the top to handball to. Thus creating the higher tackle to counter the arms being free.
    I believe Geelong started that idea like the Hawks created the Shepherd the man on the mark so the player with the free kick could run past.
    It's called evolution and countering opposition tactics.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I hate, is this notion of "Oh you've gotta reward the tackler".

I'd prefer the 'benefit of the doubt' going to the bloke who is making the play, rather than often rewarding the player who has been second to the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

AFL 2017 Week 2 Semi Finals

Friday September 15 at the MCG (7:50pm)

Second Semi Final: Geelong Cats v Sydney Swans

Saturday September 16 at Spotless Stadium (7:25pm)

First Semi Final: GWS Giants v West Coast
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    One thing I hate, is this notion of "Oh you've gotta reward the tackler".

I'd prefer the 'benefit of the doubt' going to the bloke who is making the play, rather than often rewarding the player who has been second to the ball.
    Agree 100%.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Very wet here in East Melbourne, have had lightning and thunder and pelting rain. Could make a difference.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh bummer Ling and Carey are back, have ruined Friday night footy for me this year.

9. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Straight Sets Cats.

Make it happen Bloods.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

11. Likes kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ling commentating Dangerfield getting soft frees. Is there anything worse?

13. Thanks Rocket Science thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to have a player that gets frees like Dangerfield gets. They're made up, the last I think was for diving near a contest.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Was under the impression the best umpires made the cut for finals.

You wouldn't know it. They're having a mare.

Stay the fhark out of the contest where your input isn't warranted.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'd love to have a player that gets frees like Dangerfield gets. They're made up, the last I think was for diving near a contest.
    Tom Boyd would love a few. Has he got one yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Was under the impression the best umpires made the cut for finals.

You wouldn't know it. They're having a mare.

Stay the fhark out of the contest where your input isn't warranted.
    The dangerous tackle was embarrassing, this finals series is certainly missing something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Tom Boyd would love a few. Has he got one yet?
    Not a single one. Needs to be a media darling and not over paid kid....

... That was the difference in us winning a premiership for the first time in 62 years. Seems that doesn't get media, and in turn umpire cred.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023