Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The week off before finals

Somewhat unrelated but interesting to learn Simon Garlick was one of those interviewed for the Head of Footy Operations role filled by Steve Hocking.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    GWS played out of their skins, as did we.

Geelong were lucky to survive their QF and were blown out of the water by a far superior team in their prelim.

The week off was not the cause of their issues.
    Indeed.

I was at the Cats/Hawks qualifying final - and although the game was exciting and close, I didn't think the standard was that flash. Whereas, the next day watching GWS/Sydney - I thought that looked a 5 goal better game* (not sure how else to describe it!).

Post Thanks / Like

The speculation won't end until the prelim results - if both home teams lose perhaps the AFL will look to change it.

I like it because it gives sides another week to assemble a fit squad and perhaps get a player back - anything that helps get the best players on the big stage should be welcomed.

Post Thanks / Like

There are far bigger issues with the finals system than a week off that every team benefits from and assists them all to field their best sides.

Off the top of my head I can think of:
    -Teams not getting to play at their home ground despite earning it, which includes Etihad stadium tenants, Geelong and Sydney forced to play at ANZ.
    -Carrying on from that, the biggest game of the year being played at a ground that disadvantages all but maybe 4 sides. I get that it's the biggest ground and tradition and all that shit but it is farcical that the top side (Adelaide) will have to be the away side in the biggest game of the year at a ground they have played at maybe twice.
    -Lastly the finals system is rather stupid really, for all the talk about top four being disadvantaged by the week off the bigger disadvantage is that 1st has barely any advantage over 4th (3rd has an advantage over 2nd this year), despite earning their spot after an entire season playing everybody proving they are the better side.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

If you could only have one would you have an even season where each team plays each other twice or a fair finals system?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

The second bye is an AFLPA thing. The AFL don't have to put it right before the finals, but the war of attrition argument should be had with the AFLPA not the AFL
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    If you could only have one would you have an even season where each team plays each other twice or a fair finals system?
    I love the finals, so I'd pick that. But you can't complain about the bye being unfair when the finals render much of the season useless and are already hugely unfair in terms of locations (and 7 day vs 8 day breaks).
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I love the week off, gives teams time to get organised and no matter what people /media say it gave the greatest finals series ever in history in its first year .. The media go on about the top four don't benefit , of course they do the same as all teams. Selwood is a definite benefit as is Sloane.
    The arguements against it are rubbish in my opinion , if your good enough you will win.
    It's just sooky media making up another bullshit thing to talk about.
    Funny how they raved on how great last year was when it happened now all
    Of a sudden it's no good ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I love the finals, so I'd pick that. But you can't complain about the bye being unfair when the finals render much of the season useless and are already hugely unfair in terms of locations (and 7 day vs 8 day breaks).
    And no talk of teams resting players in the last round either.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    1st has barely any advantage over 4th (3rd has an advantage over 2nd this year), despite earning their spot after an entire season playing everybody proving they are the better side.
    finishing first proves nothing to me, we dont play everyone an equal amount of times and until we do its an unequal system.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    finishing first proves nothing to me, we dont play everyone an equal amount of times and until we do its an unequal system.
    Home final
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Home final
    Yes I know the reward they get I was mainly responding to "proving they are the better side". They haven't as the fixture is compromised.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Yes I know the reward they get I was mainly responding to "proving they are the better side". They haven't as the fixture is compromised.
    It is worse than unequal, with venues also coming into it. When was the last time teams like Collingwood played in Geelong, Launceston etc.

Even if we wanted to keep the current 22 games, it should be constructed fairer. I have always advocated that each team should play each other twice over a 4 year period. Currently, there is the bullshit that Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Richmond play each other twice, plus the Interstate teams play each other twice, eg Freo/WC, Port/Adelaide etc. That compromises all other teams.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes Topdog liked this post