Thanks Thanks:  41
Likes Likes:  152
Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jackson Trengove-welcome to the Bulldogs.

So with it sounding like there's a fair chance we're going to pick up Trengove via free agency, let's have a look at him.

Career to date

Selected with pick 22 in the 2008 National Draft, he will be 27 next year and has 144 goals (22 goals) to his game. He won the Port Adelaide best and fairest playing as a key defender in his third season in 2011, in a year that he had also been promoted to the leadership group. He is 197cm and 97kg which has prompted his use as a makeshift ruckman in recent years, but with the return of Paddy Ryder he has found himself on the outer and pushed to defence.

He has showed a lot of loyalty to Port Adelaide, being one of the players leading the charge to show loyalty in the Primus years. This seems to be the major reason behind his long term big money deal, as the club was desperate to retain it's best players.

He played the first 19 games of this season before being dropped in round 21, averaging 13 disposals (61% efficiency), 3 marks, 1 goal, 3 tackles and 2 clearances. All of these numbers are slightly down from his 2016 season where he played as a ruckman and was therefore more involved in the play.

Role at the Bulldogs

Hopefully his arrival would free up Tom Boyd to play as a permanent forward, potentially with Trengove and Roughead rotating between ruck and full-back. Based on the stats he certainly had his best year when playing in the ruck, but would seem to be fairly equivalent to Roughead in this role. Does he push Roughead from the number one spot? Does he slot into our best backline (Morris, Trengove, Adams; JJ, Cordy, another HBF)?

What does this mean for the players whose role he would be taking - Campbell, Roberts, Collins, Cloke?

Cost

He's a free agent so we shouldn't need to trade (although Port can technically match the offer and then force a trade). There's talk of a four year contract - this seems like overkill to me, but is consistent with our recent approach. A three year deal at 400-450,000 a year would be my goal.

So what are poster's thoughts? Are we happy to be linked with him? Are we happy with the proposed contract length?

2. Thanks GVGjr, Doc26, KT31, Templeton31, Dry Rot, 1eyedog, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jackson Trengove

Definite yes for me

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind us being linked to him. He would fit into the back line pretty well and provide some support in the ruck when needed.

He's got some good qualities and would provide some solid leadership. I talked to Choco Williams once and he thought the world of Trengove.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

If Adams doesn't get injured I can't see Trengrove playing full back, can he be a ruck forward. ? We tend to lack a ruck who can take marks up forward forcing us to turn our tall forward into a ruck.
    Be great if he could play CHF or the bloke who can compete or take that mark from our now famous bomb it in as much as possible game.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

So long as we don't break the bank with it, may be up to 500k per season given latest TPP increase, then yes for me.

I like that it capitalises on Free Agency in a year when we won't be affected by sacrificing any compensation for any of our own FAs.

I like the leadership that he should bring and most importantly the flexibility that he offers as a key position utility type. His age is spot on and given that we were so undersize this season in defence it is an area that he should address for us in some way going into 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

$450K p.a. over four is a pittance for a versatile tall. I want him because he's better than anyone else we have who can be counted upon to either stay on the park or not retire next year, and if we pitch at $450K p.a. we're not going to get him.

If he's wanting $550K p.a. over four as has been reported then he's probably getting good advice. At that amount we should sign him up.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

8. Likes bornadog, The Doctor, KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    $450K p.a. over four is a pittance for a versatile tall. I want him because he's better than anyone else we have who can be counted upon to either stay on the park or not retire next year, and if we pitch at $450K p.a. we're not going to get him.

If he's wanting $550K p.a. over four as has been reported then he's probably getting good advice. At that amount we should sign him up.
    4 years for a player coming off a poor year and ending in the reserves? Wow i would love to play in your side.

Post Thanks / Like

Set shot technique looks poor. He'll fit right in.

11. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As stated in other threads it a yes from me, I see a fair bit of upside and very little down.
    Fills a much needed gap, has been in the leadership group and seems to be of good character and his stint in the ressies this season should only inspire him to give us 100% and prove Port wrong.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    4 years for a player coming off a poor year and ending in the reserves? Wow i would love to play in your side.
    So I take it is another negative for you?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get upset with me for what the market determines K.

If I had my way them and all y'all would be on the breadline, but it isn't to be.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

How have you determined he's had a poor season?
    Also he got dropped very late in the season, plenty of players get dropped for a week or two.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Imagine a world where we are fit:

B: Wood Trengrove Morris
    HB: JJ Cordy Suckling/Williams/Webb etc

That means Young & Adams could play forward, incidentally where they played their junior footy. Perhaps JMac, Dal & Bevo think we have a really good potential KPF on the list already and we can take out two birds with one stone by getting an experienced KPD for defence and also moving someone forward who they think might bloom there. If this is close to the truth, then it's a good move.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Seems a perfect fit for our defence to me
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

18. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think $450-$500k over 3 yrs is fine.

Would much rather have Trengrove over Schoenmakers which I cannot believe we were chasing him.
    Trengrove will help with those really tall forwards who we don't always have someone to match up on.