Thanks Thanks:  41
Likes Likes:  152
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jackson Trengove-welcome to the Bulldogs.

Happy with this pick up. Hopefully he can hold down a key defensive role first and foremost, then as a secondary offer some flexibility to other parts of the ground. 3 years isn't a huge investment, and the money isn't massive either, plus being a free agent makes it a good selection. One thing I can't quite follow is why he was left out of the finals team despite being a regular all season, especially as there seems to be no animosity with his departure.

Good luck Jackson.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    One thing I can't quite follow is why he was left out of the finals team despite being a regular all season, especially as there seems to be no animosity with his departure
    Don't think he has the speed of other options at Port
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Don't think he has the speed of other options at Port

A mate of mine who follows Port says that he (Trengove that is, not my mate-he was never that quick to start with) has lost a bit of leg speed over the last couple of years. He also says we dodged a bullet with Impey who has trouble with his disposal.

I do think that Port threw a hissy fit and dropped him when they found out that he was touring other clubs facilitys though.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Ex-Power star knew 'the writing was on the wall'

WESTERN Bulldogs recruit Jackson Trengove knew his nine-year career at Port Adelaide was over when he wasn't selected for the club's elimination final loss to West Coast.

After playing 153 games at the Power since being selected with pick No.22 in the 2008 NAB AFL Draft, the Victorian fell out of favour at the end of last season, so he decided to take up a free agency offer from the Bulldogs.

When Trengove reflects on Port's heartbreaking finals exit last September, the key defender feels he could have made a difference, with Eagles tall forwards Josh Kennedy, Jack Darling and Drew Petrie combing for eight goals in the two-point extra-time loss.

"Towards the end of the year being left out of the side and missing that final was probably my last straw and the writing was on the wall," Trengove told 5AA on Thursday.

"It was pretty difficult sitting in the stands watching that game, and everything that was written about during the week of what might happen, did happen.

"I was thinking I could have played a huge part and probably help the team get a win and get to another final.

"I was playing well enough in the SANFL at that stage to be brought back (into the side), and for whatever reason I wasn't brought back in, and I saw the opportunity to come back home."

Trengove believes his versatility was one of the main reasons the Dogs lured him to Whitten Oval on a three-year deal, as his ability play all over the ground fits with coach Luke Beveridge's flexibility mantra.

"One thing that's been handy in my career is that I've been able to play in numerous positions, and at this stage, I'm not 100 per cent (sure) where I'll fit in at the Doggies," Trengove said.

"It'll probably be playing in all three positions – forward, ruck and down back.

"At some stage I will settle down and play one or two of those positions but at some stage I'll play in all three positions throughout the year."

And life is set to get a whole lot busier for the father of one, with Trengove and his partner expecting twins in the coming weeks.

5. Thanks bornadog, Remi Moses thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    [B][U][URL="http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-09/expower-star-trengoveknew-the-writing-was-on-the-wall"]
    And life is set to get a whole lot busier for the father of one, with Trengove and his partner expecting twins in the coming weeks.
    Yikes! There won't be a lot of sleep in that household for a while...
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

7. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if instead of extra time there had been a replay after that final if Port would have selected Jackson for it?

Post Thanks / Like

Gee he comes across as a ripping good bloke .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    That's what Port guys say about him.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Former VC and no Power fan has a bad word to say about him.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Go Jackson. Will Minson, Tom Boyd, Mitch Hahn and many other big fellas have had their knockers over the years but proved themselves faithful and valuable servants in their roles at different points in the journey of the club.
    The great myth is you have to give your all for the team. Wrong. You have to give your strengths and mitigate your weaknesses. That's why it's a team sport. We need your aggression, hardness, leadership and great ruck work. Be the new people's beard Jackson. Go for it!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

13. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I say we need the people’s BEARD back in we need his aggression around the ball

15. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Noted Jackson was dropped from the leadership group for 2020.

Coupled with his late season omission and I'm starting to wonder what's next for our jack of all trades, master of none.

His 1-1 stats once played in defence were seriously impressive, and each game he played 1st ruck he was more than serviceable, but he found his way into the Footscray side come finals time.

Where do we see him?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Noted Jackson was dropped from the leadership group for 2020.

Coupled with his late season omission and I'm starting to wonder what's next for our jack of all trades, master of none.

His 1-1 stats once played in defence were seriously impressive, and each game he played 1st ruck he was more than serviceable, but he found his way into the Footscray side come finals time.

Where do we see him?
    I see him in our best 22, he's versatile and a good defender. We started playing better football once he returned to the team
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I see him in our best 22, he's versatile and a good defender. We started playing better football once he returned to the team
    Yep, we are a better team with Jackson in it.

Post Thanks / Like

JT is like Caleb Daniel & Marcus Adams. Solid players, but they put in one or two howlers a game that lead to an easy goal to the opposition and let down their overall performance somewhat. I see him in and around our best 22. If he can eliminate the howlers, whilst still putting in good 1-1 performances, he will be a valuable player. As for the leadership group, I don't see an issue. Some people want to be called and be identified a 'leader', while others act like and cry themselves as a 'leader'. JT doesn't need the title, I think he'll be the same steady leader he's been at our club and a strong support to his co-workers.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023