Thanks Thanks:  41
Likes Likes:  152
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jackson Trengove

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    If Adams stays fit he'll be one of the most important members of our side, particularly if we (seemingly) land Trengove.

Trengove's not worth 600k IMO and I'd rather 3 years than 4, but I do like that his addition frees up Adams to become our McGovern.

Needs to drop 4-5kgs and become a key defender again though - currently too top heavy/ala ruckman-esque.
    Its a big if at the moment, after being on the list now for two years he is running on par with Tom Williams.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Its a big if at the moment, after being on the list now for two years he is running on par with Tom Williams.
    More like Higgins I reckon. His two preseasons have been great on the track from club updates. Hopefully the club learn from SH, don't say anything about his preseason effort/form.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Whats his injury history ? Just curious .
    Does he have any and has he had any major ones ?
    His season game totals from 2010 to 2017 are: 19, 22, 20, 17, 20, 15, 21, 19*

So he's never missed any major chunks of games since debuting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    His season game totals from 2010 to 2017 are: 19, 22, 20, 17, 20, 15, 21, 19*

So he's never missed any major chunks of games since debuting.
    That's impressive, I am in the for camp.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-0...t-utility-home

"The leadership group member is on a lucrative contract at Port believed to be worth more than $600,000 a season"

Goes on to say the offers should be mid-500s, which I'd be ok with, but if he's already getting over $600k, there's a 20% increase in the cap coming, there's a typical "overs" element to pry anyone out of a club via FA (and to not make the holding club's decision to equal that offer as a restricted free agent a no brainer), and couple it with our propensity to be the highest bidder when others are also interested, I'm a touch concerned on what the offer may end up being.

Happy to pay a premium in order to save the trade/draft pick(s) cost, but not crazy overs. Tentative yes from me, depending on no silly contract.

6. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought we'd offered $550k for four years. That's a haircut for him over two, but a good fit for him from a security viewpoint.

He's serviceable and durable. Fits the bill. He's also from the same junior club and school as Scotty West. A local kid. Works on many angles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I thought we'd offered $550k for four years.
    Essentially the equivalent of $450k in today's cap terms - I hope that's right, but again, have this uneasy feeling we might hear some other crazy figures thrown around down the line.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that liking this move because it means Adams can go forward is questionable at best, but whatever. I don't wanna bury the guy before he even pulls a jumper on, but I'm not a fan and think he is severely limited as an AFL footballer.

However, seeing as he's tall I'm willing to wait it out and see how it goes. Four years is overs though.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is a big tick given the gaps filled and depth offered and the low trade cost.

We still need a significant trade or two though. Silky, fast midfielder please.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sounds good to me. Do you think we would still chase a ruckman to help out till English is ready?
    For mine the priority is keeping a first round pick this year, but if one is available cheaply than yes I would.

If the Stef Martin - Cox to Lions - Crameri to Pies rumours are true that would be ideal. Martin has at least 2 years left, perhaps 3. He's the perfect age to pick up an AFL standard ruckman.

Otherwise, Baulderstone or someone similar can provide cover for a few years and when English is ready we have a 25-26 year old ruckman perfect to trade 'for more opportunity'.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    So I take it is another negative for you?
    4 years is a long time very generous, I like structurally what he can bring but he's a huge risk at 27. I understand you have to pay overs in the FA market but I'm more worried about years than cash. It does make the Roberts 2 year extension even more baffling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    4 years is a long time very generous, I like structurally what he can bring but he's a huge risk at 27. I understand you have to pay overs in the FA market but I'm more worried about years than cash. It does make the Roberts 2 year extension even more baffling.
    How is 27 a huge risk? At end of 4 years (still a rumour at this stage) he will be 31. Not many retire at 31.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-0...t-utility-home

"The leadership group member is on a lucrative contract at Port believed to be worth more than $600,000 a season"

Goes on to say the offers should be mid-500s, which I'd be ok with, but if he's already getting over $600k, there's a 20% increase in the cap coming, there's a typical "overs" element to pry anyone out of a club via FA (and to not make the holding club's decision to equal that offer as a restricted free agent a no brainer), and couple it with our propensity to be the highest bidder when others are also interested, I'm a touch concerned on what the offer may end up being.

Happy to pay a premium in order to save the trade/draft pick(s) cost, but not crazy overs. Tentative yes from me, depending on no silly contract.
    Port were in trouble last year with the cap and tried to offload Hartlett for cap relief.

With Wines and Powell-Pepper they have talent needing/receiving a pay rise as well. I don't think they can pay Trengove anywhere near his last contract.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    How is 27 a huge risk? At end of 4 years (still a rumour at this stage) he will be 31. Not many retire at 31.
    Have you looked up his current form? Thats all I can go on I mean who on this blog has watched him really that closely? How many players play well at 31? Is Cloke getting any better?

My Adelaide mate who I rate as astute, reckons he is too slow to play on the key forwards and not tall enough for the ruck, serviceable was his statement. Its just a question does a serviceable player demand a 4 year contract?

17. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Have you looked up his current form? Thats all I can go on I mean who on this blog has watched him really that closely? How many players play well at 31? Is Cloke getting any better?

My Adelaide mate who I rate as astute, reckons he is too slow to play on the key forwards and not tall enough for the ruck, serviceable was his statement. Its just a question does a serviceable player demand a 4 year contract?
    It's a resounding no from me and your friend's observations are precisely what I share.

Despite having clear limitations as a player, I can see the appeal and agree structurally he can make us a better side, but if we're paying 600K @ 4 years then we're overpaying for a good ordinary player.

Still unsure why we didn't target Frost a couple of years ago - suited us athletically, young and was cheap.

19. Likes Happy Days, 1eyedog liked this post