Thanks Thanks:  41
Likes Likes:  152
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jackson Trengove

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Port were in trouble last year with the cap and tried to offload Hartlett for cap relief.

With Wines and Powell-Pepper they have talent needing/receiving a pay rise as well. I don't think they can pay Trengove anywhere near his last contract.
    Not to mention Lobbe running around in the SANFL on decent coin for a former VC.

Geelong chased Hartlett hard too IIRC, Harlett said no because he was still under contract with Port.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Have you looked up his current form? Thats all I can go on I mean who on this blog has watched him really that closely? How many players play well at 31? Is Cloke getting any better?

My Adelaide mate who I rate as astute, reckons he is too slow to play on the key forwards and not tall enough for the ruck, serviceable was his statement. Its just a question does a serviceable player demand a 4 year contract?

Not me. People have been talking about him as a potential recruit now for a couple of years so I made a mental note to watch him the next Port game I saw but I never did. I even thought he played and kicked a goal against us in Ballarat until someone on here told me he didn't.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you looked up his current form? Thats all I can go on I mean who on this blog has watched him really that closely? How many players play well at 31? Is Cloke getting any better?

My Adelaide mate who I rate as astute, reckons he is too slow to play on the key forwards and not tall enough for the ruck, serviceable was his statement. Its just a question does a serviceable player demand a 4 year contract?
    No one gets better at 31 but that is completely separate to them playing well at 31, which plenty do.

Too slow to play on key forwards? So are we only talking about Buddy as a key forward?

Yes I've watched him and Port quite a lot this year and he has been better than any KPD at the Bulldogs in 2017.

Got dropped after a hammering vs Adelaide.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he will be a good fit for us. He is the type of player that we need and fits into Bevo's criteria of being able to fill a number of roles.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to over think this by involving JMac & Bevo's ruck philosophies.

We know Bevo is trying forge an advantage for his side by revolutionising the ruck. At times not even have rucks in contests, or running Tom Boyd into the ground, refusing to select Tom Campbell and worse yet rucking Bonts. In an AFL podcast this year Damrymple said they've had chats (Bevo, JMac & Dal) about the ruck position and what the AFEL might do like bringing in the 'last touched' rule and eliminate boundary throw ins. That could render rucks almost redundant, or such a workload that one ruck can do it. Dalrymple also was adamant with time and development Tom Boyd will be an 'elite key forward'. So there's debate about what can be done between these management guys.

The 'new' conventional thinking is one ruckman and a ruck/forward. Tom Boyd being the ruck/forward, despite this distracting him from developing into the 'elite key forward'. English is a super talent with time.

So I wonder if the effort to land Trengove is something of a sweet spot in a venn diagram for the 3 leaders wishes:

(1) We select a first ruck each game, if fit/uninjured,
    (2) We don't have a ruck/forward because our really good tall forwards are well, outside Boyd, not existent for this role and recruiting one will cost a heap,
    (3) But we have a good supply of tall defenders (Roberts, Collins & Morris re-signing), some who can play forward (Adams, Cordy, Young)
    (4) So we go for Trengove as a ruck/defender to fulfill the second ruck duties (at a cost under a ruck/forward)
    (5) We use one of Cordy/Adams/Young as tall forwards from game to game
    (6) When Trengrove rucks, the above player covers his man
    (7) Meaning we keep Tom Boyd up forward to develop into an 'elite key forward' and don't rush English in. We can also see under match pressure whether Adams or Young can develop into key forward

So,

Dalrymple is happy that the talent he still sees in Boyd & English developing
    Bevo gets the ultimate flexibility he so desires, across defence, attack and on ball
    JMac gets to make an acquisition as a free agent in a year where we have no compo reduction (ie. losing a FA)

Seems all the three leaders get what they want, and they're the same, as I say in a Venn diagram sweet spot. Plus Boyd & English get what they need. So it seems great news all round, except for maybe Campbell or Roughy.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Likes Sedat, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With the new CBA passed earlier this year, the ave salary for an AFL player is a little over $370k. This includes a lot of first and second year players on base amounts, so in reality, the ave salary will be closer to something like $450k for players who have played 4+ years. Given that and the fact that you always tend to pay a little more to get a player to move clubs (exceptions like Cloke aside), $550k seems a fairly standard type of salary to be offering under the circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like

I really rate Trengove. A few years ago all the other Port ruckmen were injured and he single handedly led the ruck for a few weeks, despite being completely undersized he performed like a Lion and smashed in hard all day, and made a real contest.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive watched him closely, and I rate him.

10. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    I really rate Trengove. A few years ago all the other Port ruckmen were injured and he single handedly led the ruck for a few weeks, despite being completely undersized he performed like a Lion and smashed in hard all day, and made a real contest.
    Are we recruiting him as a ruckman or a defender though? My concern is that he's a taller and more aggressive Roberts, but with the same concerns about strength and agility.

And aside from durability I don't know that he's that much better than Rough in the ruck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Are we recruiting him as a ruckman or a defender though? My concern is that he's a taller and more aggressive Roberts, but with the same concerns about strength and agility.

And aside from durability I don't know that he's that much better than Rough in the ruck.
    He's a defender first, ruckman second and the occasional forward. I don't think there are any concerns about his strength in a contest.

I've watched him closely for years and can go back to when he was a bottom ager in the TAC being pitted against the consensus number one pick that year in Matthew Kruezer. Trengove would move to full back or in the ruck to shadow Kreuzer all game and he performed well. He's been a good club man at Port and I think he would fit in easily in our back line. I don't think the Roberts comparison is a good one.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

13. Thanks hujsh, jazzadogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He's a defender first, ruckman second and the occasional forward. I don't think there are any concerns about his strength in a contest.

I've watched him closely for years and can go back to when he was a bottom ager in the TAC being pitted against the consensus number one pick that year in Matthew Kruezer. Trengove would move to full back or in the ruck to shadow Kreuzer all game and he performed well. He's been a good club man at Port and I think he would fit in easily in our back line. I don't think the Roberts comparison is a good one.
    Thanks GVG, my knowledge of him is limited so I am going off glimpses of Port Adelaide games in the past few years. I remember being impressed with him as a ruckman last year, but have no recollection of seeing him defend with any substance.

How would you rank him compared to Roughead in those positions? Is he a significant upgrade?

FWIW I am still in the 'for' camp, especially as a free agency pick-up. Just interested to know exactly what we are picking up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Thanks GVG, my knowledge of him is limited so I am going off glimpses of Port Adelaide games in the past few years. I remember being impressed with him as a ruckman last year, but have no recollection of seeing him defend with any substance.

How would you rank him compared to Roughead in those positions? Is he a significant upgrade?

FWIW I am still in the 'for' camp, especially as a free agency pick-up. Just interested to know exactly what we are picking up.
    He's a better defender and even a better forward than Roughead but Roughy is the better ruckman.

Trengove isn't s star player but he should give us a bit of versatility that we need. Like Roughead he is also a great guy to have at a club.

Who really knows if we will get him but he has already been a polarizing discussion point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He's a better defender and even a better forward than Roughead but Roughy is the better ruckman.

Trengove isn't s star player but he should give us a bit of versatility that we need. Like Roughead he is also a great guy to have at a club.

Who really knows if we will get him but he has already been a polarizing discussion point.
    G, it seems, whilst not unanimous, there's a consensus here that Jackson would be a good fit for our need. The key question though being how much it might take to gain his services. Given the market, and no doubt his want to capitalise on his FA status, it may indeed take up to 600k to pry him to us. Whether it's 450k or 600k probably should not be the sticking point, it's whether as a flexible KP player he will fit the need and at his relatively young age I'd say it's worth this price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    G, it seems, whilst not unanimous, there's a consensus here that Jackson would be a good fit for our need. The key question though being how much it might take to gain his services. Given the market, and no doubt his want to capitalise on his FA status, it may indeed take up to 600k to pry him to us. Whether it's 450k or 600k probably should not be the sticking point, it's whether as a flexible KP player he will fit the need and at his relatively young age I'd say it's worth this price.

Given the salary cap increase of 20%, $600k is now about right. I think he would fit into the team structure pretty well.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    I do get it. It will be over 500k but there will be a point when it could be too much for a non star player