Thanks Thanks:  41
Likes Likes:  152
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jackson Trengove

Of the players being linked to us, this one makes the most sense. The safest bet IMO and likely best value. Our backline was decimated this year and still has a way to go before we see it at the level of 15/16 with departures recent and imminent.

Adds another ruck option, fills a key defensive post and offers flexibility up forward if we need to mix things up on the spot. Has the workmanlike nature we appreciate in our players but a better talent base than some of our guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I do get it. It will be over 500k but there will be a point when it could be too much for a non star player
    $500K works out to be roughly 4% of the salary cap, so if he becomes a regular senior player I guess that is probably ok.
    I'm not that comfortable with much more than that, especially if you consider it is 4 years. If things don't work out (like Chris Mayne at Collingwood) - it is pretty significant on your books.

The other issue is if Trengove is paid - say - $550-$600K, then how much are the likes of Macrae, Hunter, Dahlhaus, McLean worth? What about Adams if he stays on the park, and Cordy if he continues to progress in the way he has this season?

I do worry about fitting them all in. We are paying Tom Boyd about 7-8% of the cap, we will have to pay Bont at least that as well on his next contract (as we should). We have to be very careful with these decisions when it involves a role player - which is what Trengove is.

I'm happy to have Trengove at the club - but I'm not at all comfortable with the prices being thrown around.

Post Thanks / Like

Ozza from what I have heard and read is that Boyd was seriously front loaded over the last 2 seasons so his salary is probably around the 650k - 750k mark from here on in. Obviously we don't know the exacts of it all but I'm pretty confident it we chopped heaps out of his salary already.

Cap went up as well so this is probably a pretty standard salary now. $500 - $600K sounds about right to get a decent player from an opposition club. I'm comfortable with Trengrove should he cross over and comfortable with the price that is thrown around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Ozza from what I have heard and read is that Boyd was seriously front loaded over the last 2 seasons so his salary is probably around the 650k - 750k mark from here on in. Obviously we don't know the exacts of it all but I'm pretty confident it we chopped heaps out of his salary already.

Cap went up as well so this is probably a pretty standard salary now. $500 - $600K sounds about right to get a decent player from an opposition club. I'm comfortable with Trengrove should he cross over and comfortable with the price that is thrown around.
    Boyds first year at the club was I believe still in the second year base payment for a top ten draft pick, so we couldn't pay anymore until his second year with us which was last year ?
    Funny though how whatever the figure he was on doesn't seem as big as it was at the time of signing with the salary cap going up, most teams have one or two players on huge amounts I would say now .
    And remember we could pay 105% of the cap for two years due to only posting 95% the previous years.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Boyds first year at the club was I believe still in the second year base payment for a top ten draft pick, so we couldn't pay anymore until his second year with us which was last year ?
    Funny though how whatever the figure he was on doesn't seem as big as it was at the time of signing with the salary cap going up, most teams have one or two players on huge amounts I would say now .
    And remember we could pay 105% of the cap for two years due to only posting 95% the previous years.
    And we can afford to now as well
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Can Trengrove play?

I know we need a big but can he play is the question?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Can Trengrove play?

I know we need a big but can he play is the question?
    In summary, he's a handy utility, who competes well but lacks class.

Post Thanks / Like

The Tom Boyd deal was reported as year 1 200k + $1m to GWS for Griffen's salary, $1.8m year 2, $800k years 3-7
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    The Tom Boyd deal was reported as year 1 200k + $1m to GWS for Griffen's salary, $1.8m year 2, $800k years 3-7
    Sounds about right. I know it was heavily front loaded.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    That's as I remember it.

Post Thanks / Like

Their season is over too now. So do the medical and talk turkey so we can put attention into bigger things.

Too soon?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bit surprised they didn't play him tonight with Jonas and Hombsch out .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Maybe he had already told them I'm taking the Bulldogs offer and they said fine no finals for you then pal
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post

Even if he is halfway out the door anyway they would have played him if they needed him surely? If they didn't play him because he's negotiating/signed with us they've shot themselves on the foot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Maybe he had already told them I'm taking the Bulldogs offer and they said fine no finals for you then pal
    It definitely stinks of that.

In all likelihood he's been gone for a while. Each time I watch a Hinkley presser I'm surprised by how simple and basic he is. The concept of a leader leaving would make smoke emit from his tear ducts.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.