Thanks Thanks:  41
Likes Likes:  152
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jackson Trengove-welcome to the Bulldogs.

I agree BT....I'm a fan, and pinch hitters are always a bonus with their versatility. And the fact we got him a a FA is a massive bonus.
    Now for Josh Kelly
    I will never see #16 the same!!

2. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I agree BT....I'm a fan, and pinch hitters are always a bonus with their versatility. And the fact we got him a a FA is a massive bonus.
    Now for Josh Kelly
    Wouldn't it be a thing of beauty having Bonts & Kelly in the centre square receiving the clearance from Libba, streaming with accurate kicking to Tom Boyd and his merry forwards. Pick 9 and whatever good from Stringer must have us close.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Have you jumped the gun? Trade period doesn't start till October

I may have but FAs and announced before the Trade period. Suckling was announced the Wednesday after he grand final. I'll change it back when he says he isn't coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Wouldn't it be a thing of beauty having Bonts & Kelly in the centre square receiving the clearance from Libba, streaming with accurate kicking to Tom Boyd and his merry forwards. Pick 9 and whatever good from Stringer must have us close.

Back in 5...
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

5. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes chef, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Enthused about Trengove if for no other reason than it'll mitigate having to play others out of position. Perhaps he's no saviour but the positive domino effect augurs well.

Need someone to stand a monster forward? Hi, I'm Jackson and I'm here to help.

Need someone to compete in the ruck for a spell? G'day, you called?

Need a tall to pluck a contested mark up forward? Hey there, it's me again.

Fascinated to see how we juggle him and Roughy in tandem though.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I may have but FAs and announced before the Trade period. Suckling was announced the Wednesday after he grand final. I'll change it back when he says he isn't coming.
    Actually free agency and the trade period overlap:

Friday October 6 - NAB AFL restricted free agency offer and unrestricted free agency period begins

Monday October 9, 9am* - NAB AFL Trade Period begins

Sunday October 15, 5pm - Close of NAB AFL restricted free agency offer and unrestricted free agency period

Wednesday October 18 - NAB AFL restricted free agency matching offer three-day period ends

Thursday October 19, 2pm – NAB AFL Trade Period closes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jackson Trengove

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    9 News Adelaide reporting Trengrove to Dogs on a 4 year deal.
    4 year deal talk about overs. Flexibility is the the most overrated word at WO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Enthused about Trengove if for no other reason than it'll mitigate having to play others out of position. Perhaps he's no saviour but the positive domino effect augurs well.

Need someone to stand a monster forward? Hi, I'm Jackson and I'm here to help.

Need someone to compete in the ruck for a spell? G'day, you called?

Need a tall to pluck a contested mark up forward? Hey there, it's me again.

Fascinated to see how we juggle him and Roughy in tandem though.
    Sounds great in theory but I read it more like, he is an ok forward, ok ruckman and ok defender and the sum of all parts is he is just ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Actually free agency and the trade period overlap:

Cheers Axe man.

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Sounds great in theory but I read it more like, he is an ok forward, ok ruckman and ok defender and the sum of all parts is he is just ok.
    That's why he is cheap. If he was a superstar in those positions he'd cost us draft picks or players and more money even if his club let him go. We are getting a professional and reliable player who can play in positions that releases players like Boyd and Roughead to play in positions they are supposed to be playing in.

We just need him to be part of the jigsaw puzzle we are constantly trying to put together.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Axe man.

That's why he is cheap. If he was a superstar in those positions he'd cost us draft picks or players and more money even if his club let him go. We are getting a professional and reliable player who can play in positions that releases players like Boyd and Roughead to play in positions they are supposed to be playing in.

We just need him to be part of the jigsaw puzzle we are constantly trying to put together.
    I think our favourite premiership mix examples is Leigh Brown. He was average at North, and was 'reasonable' to 'OK' in the different areas of the ground at Collingwood. They'll be no bronze Leigh Brown statues, but he and 21 of his class mates got a premiership medal with him an important cog. Trengove is a better version of LB who can also competently play in defence on big guys. JT might just be that cog that improves others up a level. This is our man based on where we are now, and where he is now. It may be boom or bust with JT, but to me he's what we need and the money and years seems fair. And to get him as a free agent, keeping our pick 26, makes it even better.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

As they say nowadays , just do your role.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    As they say nowadays , just do your role.

Precisely. Help make the 22 better than the sum of its parts, that's all a footballer can do,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I think our favourite premiership mix examples is Leigh Brown. He was average at North, and was 'reasonable' to 'OK' in the different areas of the ground at Collingwood. They'll be no bronze Leigh Brown statues, but he and 21 of his class mates got a premiership medal with him an important cog. Trengove is a better version of LB who can also competently play in defence on big guys. JT might just be that cog that improves others up a level. This is our man based on where we are now, and where he is now. It may be boom or bust with JT, but to me he's what we need and the money and years seems fair. And to get him as a free agent, keeping our pick 26, makes it even better.
    Good analogy with Leigh Brown. Teams need all sorts from of players from star to warm bodies that are prepared to do a job.

Post Thanks / Like

Good analogy with Leigh Brown. Teams need all sorts from of players from star to warm bodies that are prepared to do a job.
    BT got it bang on. I think a lot of people struggle with the concept of a structure player not necessarily being a great player.
    If we do land him and use him right he can be an important player for us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    BT got it bang on. I think a lot of people struggle with the concept of a structure player not necessarily being a great player.
    If we do land him and use him right he can be an important player for us.

He can be a great structure player. I can see why because 600 k is a lot of money but footy players get payed insane amounts of money these days. I'm not going to second guess the footy economy they play with Monopoly money from what I can make out.

Post Thanks / Like

Leigh Brown's impact upon that team is severely overstated. He just happened to play with 2x all-decade midfielders, Alan Didak/Heath Shaw/Dale Thomas/Darren Jolly in their primes, and top 5 key position players at both ends. Not to mention Beams, Sidebottom, and AA defenders in O'Brien and Maxwell. "Doing a job" is a lot easier with this level of talent clearing the way.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -