Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  39
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Stringer needs to “really commit” to dogs, says teammate

Link

Jake Stringer needs to give a "full commitment" to the Western Bulldogs if he wants to stay at the club next season, according to teammate Mitch Wallis.

Stringer still has a year to run on his contract at Whitten Oval but it was reported on Channel Nine's The Footy Show on Thursday night that the premiership star is exploring a trade after falling out with the Bulldogs.

Ahead of arguably the best weekend of footy in the AFL calendar, Sam McClure previews all the action of week one of the finals.
    Wallis wants Stringer to stick with the Bulldogs but conceded doubt surrounded his future after agreeing there was a "disconnect" between the 2015 All-Australian forward pocket and the club this year.

"He (Stringer) is working through it, I think he wants to stay a Bulldog, they've given him every opportunity for the last four or five years but it's still up in the air and he still has to really commit to the club because they want a full commitment from him and not one where he's unsure," Wallis told SEN on Thursday.

"He had a couple of injuries late in the year which obviously made it hard for him because he hadn't had a great year form-wise.

His 24 goals from 16 games in the Bulldogs' failed premiership defence was Stringer's lowest output since his 2013 debut season - far down from his career-best 56 majors two years ago.

"I want him to stay, obviously that's the priority, and he's a contracted player but I still think that they have things they have to work through," Wallis said.
    Last edited by bornadog; 07-09-2017 at 10:57 AM. Reason: changed to The Age Report
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stringer needs to “really commit” to dogs, says teammate

Far from convincing

Post Thanks / Like

Gonski
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Gonski
    What do you expect Wallis to say?

He sounded honest to me.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

He sounded honest to me.
    I agree, not sure the reading between my lines is. I think Stringer is gonski.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

He sounded honest to me.
    Usually they say much more positive things. That is a pretty stinging appraisal from Mitch.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Mitch spent considerable time crafting that statement and made a good fist of it.

Jake must be going through hell personally; split-ups are never easy, especially where young kids are involved. That problem may dominate his thoughts constantly with the rest of his life back-burnered. Akin, I think to a mental health issue to a degree: I don't mean to be over-simplifying, this is a complex issue.

All the club can do is to assist him in any way possible to making a decision that is his alone and the club accepting that.
    Like everyone else, I'd be rapt if he can make a "stay" decision.
    Far too many fond memories of a champion player.

9. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeh thats a load less positive than I would like. Thats basically saying Jake's not putting in and we've had enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Perfectly set up to give Stringer a lot of hard truths.

Bevo comes in and does what Bevo does best.

Results in Stringer staying and consistently fulfilling his potential for the next 8 years.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Perfectly set up to give Stringer a lot of hard truths.

Bevo comes in and does what Bevo does best.

Results in Stringer staying and consistently fulfilling his potential for the next 8 years.
    There are rumours going around that its Bevo driving this. He wants him gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    There are rumours going around that its Bevo driving this. He wants him gone.
    Where have you read that?

Post Thanks / Like

Where have you read that?
    I was told it. Normally i wouldn't believe any of this sort of thing but the same person told me about this supposed bust up before the story broke. Needless to say i didn't believe them but here we are.

Post Thanks / Like

Rumours are just rumours. A lot at the moment is going around right now.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

That's a pretty strong statement by Wallis. I like it.

Put up or move on, Jake. His teammates have obviously had enough of his lack of effort on & off the field.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

STEVEN KING: Kingy spoke on behalf of the group during a Leading Teams session. He told Gaz he didn’t work hard enough and while he was playing well, he could be so much better. Gaz didn’t like it. He left the meeting and didn’t speak to Kingy for a little while. In hindsight it clearly was the best thing that could have happened. He took the feedback on-board and used it positively, as it was intended to be, and proved to us that he had what it took. The change in his game was instant. I think Gaz would now look back and thank Kingy and Leading Teams for helping steer him in the right direction and which undoubtedly helped turn him into a legend of the game.
    A quote from an article by Paul Chapman about Gary Ablett Jr before GAJ's 300th game. It's talking about the Leading Teams inspired dressing down of GAJ and the aftermath.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

18. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post