Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  39
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stringer needs to “really commit” to dogs, says teammate

This is an overreaction. Stringer is no the type of player you trade, whether its Bevo driving it or not.

What concerns me is how a guy can walk into an end of season appraisal and have no inkling that his review is going to be negative. As a manager, you are taught/told that if there is bad news the worst thing you can do is unload at a year end appraisal, you have to give a person the opportunity to address the performance issues.

Bevo is no idiot, so either Jake hasn't been listening or the leadership team hasn't been providing accurate feedback. either way is a major breakdown in the manager systems of the club.

I really thought we were past this crap

2. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    This is an overreaction. Stringer is no the type of player you trade, whether its Bevo driving it or not.

What concerns me is how a guy can walk into an end of season appraisal and have no inkling that his review is going to be negative. As a manager, you are taught/told that if there is bad news the worst thing you can do is unload at a year end appraisal, you have to give a person the opportunity to address the performance issues.

Bevo is no idiot, so either Jake hasn't been listening or the leadership team hasn't been providing accurate feedback. either way is a major breakdown in the manager systems of the club.

I really thought we were past this crap
    Perhaps Jake doesn't listen to feedback if it's subtle?

I work with a guy who blatantly argued with a previous boss and I as his colleague, when we gently told him his style in interacting and presenting himself isn't one that screams initiative, inclusiveness and ambition. This is a guy who continually rated himself extremely well in half yearly reviews and full year reviews, irrespective of measurement criteria and his performance.

How surprised was he during a most recent restructure when he didn't get proactively placed in a box in the new org chart? How much did he learn from that situation, versus how much he pissed and moaned about how unfair it was?

Some people have opinions of themselves that will never be matched with compromise or actual output. Let's not pretend Jake couldn't possibly be a candidate for this type of behaviour trait.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes Twodogs, Topdog, Insufficient Intent liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Perhaps Jake doesn't listen to feedback if it's subtle?

I work with a guy who blatantly argued with a previous boss and I as his colleague, when we gently told him his style in interacting and presenting himself isn't one that screams initiative, inclusiveness and ambition. This is a guy who continually rated himself extremely well in half yearly reviews and full year reviews, irrespective of measurement criteria and his performance.

How surprised was he during a most recent restructure when he didn't get proactively placed in a box in the new org chart? How much did he learn from that situation, versus how much he pissed and moaned about how unfair it was?

Some people have opinions of themselves that will never be matched with compromise or actual output. Let's not pretend Jake couldn't possibly be a candidate for this type of behaviour trait.
    Agree. Jake is probably the perfect candidate. That said - if he isn't listening and getting the subtle messages, then why wait till the end of season review? Far better to have that conversation in June or when he was coming back from rehab than at the end of a season when he can do SWA about it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Agree. Jake is probably the perfect candidate. That said - if he isn't listening and getting the subtle messages, then why wait till the end of season review? Far better to have that conversation in June or when he was coming back from rehab than at the end of a season when he can do SWA about it!
    We don't know they didn't.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

In a way should it all have gone down as suggested then maybe it's a good thing we missed finals.

If we go deep into finals and then this happens, Stringer has 2-3 weeks to calm down, talk to people and make a considered decision. Instead he will get over a month to hear a variety of opinions and influences and hopefully for us decide to stay.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

8. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This was probably his first season having to look after himself at home and deal with the mental load of looking after kids solo, cooking his dinner, being prepared etc. when you are a bit of a mess emotionally and ill equipped to deal with some day to day stuff you're not going to perform well at work.

10. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's not beat around the bush. There is no doubt in my mind that Stringer is, intentional or otherwise, the source of the leak. He is the exact sort of guy to walk out of the meeting, hot-headed, and text one of his mates about how the meeting was bullshit, they didn't listen to me, they told me all this stuff I did wrong etc etc. It doesn't take much for that information to spread.

As for his actual reaction and whether or not this was the first time he had heard it, let's not forget that he was dropped last year. I'd be amazed if the feedback given then was any different to the feedback given now. If the issues are related to being late, poor adherence to rehab programs, poor commitment - there is no way that this hasn't been discussed earlier in the year. As jeemak said, it's the ability to respond to that feedback that matters.

At the end of the day, I hope we have the man management capabilities to keep Jake. He is a generational talent and there is next to no chance that we achieve a trade which equals his talent. But if home truths have been delivered and he is still unable to deal with that after calming down, then I think we have failed each other and moving on is the best option.

We need to make sure the reaction is not hysterical, but is well-reasoned and discussed over multiple meetings. The Stevie J example is a good one, and his response is something that I hope Joel Corey can have a chat to Jake about. I hope he stays and fulfils his potential in our colours.

Post Thanks / Like

The relationship could be beyond repair by all accounts. The club is already looking at the best deal out there and once that happens it is hard to repair. Also if he does play out next year and it is ordinary again we won't be getting a first rounder or a decent player for him. Would love to keep him but not sure the two parties are on the same page. Beveridge might have had enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    The relationship could be beyond repair by all accounts. The club is already looking at the best deal out there and once that happens it is hard to repair. Also if he does play out next year and it is ordinary again we won't be getting a first rounder or a decent player for him. Would love to keep him but not sure the two parties are on the same page. Beveridge might have had enough.

Where was all this?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

apparently has nominated Geelong as choice of club..who knows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dadsgirl16 View Post
    apparently has nominated Geelong as choice of club..who knows
    Where has this been reported, dg16 ?
    If the case it would suggest to me he or manager has been in talks with Geelong previously or for sometime.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    At the end of the day, I hope we have the man management capabilities to keep Jake. He is a generational talent and there is next to no chance that we achieve a trade which equals his talent. But if home truths have been delivered and he is still unable to deal with that after calming down, then I think we have failed each other and moving on is the best option.

We need to make sure the reaction is not hysterical, but is well-reasoned and discussed over multiple meetings. The Stevie J example is a good one, and his response is something that I hope Joel Corey can have a chat to Jake about. I hope he stays and fulfils his potential in our colours.
    Stevie J is a good one, and it's worth noting it was his teammates (rather than coaching staff) that finally got through to him.

Josh Gibson was an unfit party boy early in his career. North trade him for two first rounders, he ends up winning 2 B&Fs in premiership years. I suspect Stringer won't hit his 2015 form again until he's 25 or 26 but if we can convince him to stay it will be worth it longer term.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like the Saints are putting their 2 cents worth in.

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    It looks like the Saints are putting their 2 cents worth in.

LINK
    Generic question , generic answer.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've read it appears Geelong and North have been discussing Stringer well before this week.
    More of an In Bruges guy?