Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  39
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stringer needs to “really commit” to dogs, says teammate

Yep, this looks like more of a strategic play rather than a simple falling out. I figure it's on the basis of a higher pay day than what we'd likely offer given we know him warts and all.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yep, this looks like more of a strategic play rather than a simple falling out. I figure it's on the basis of a higher pay day than what we'd likely offer given we know him warts and all.
    We need to stitch up The Bont very quickly, otherwise, we will be hearing this shit for all of 2018.

I don't think I will be able to survive.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We need to stitch up The Bont very quickly, otherwise, we will be hearing this shit for all of 2018.

If we ever lost Bont i would become a lumberjack in some far away forest in Alaska just to never hear about AFL again

5. Likes ratsmac, cinder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm being far too cynical but i can't foresee a scenario where Bont's management would want him to sign early. I think as a manager he'd want to leverage the situation as much as possible to ensure a maximum dollar outcome for his client.
    I'm dreading season 2019 already for that very reason.

Post Thanks / Like

If Jake thinks by going to another Club it will be easier for him and he won't be listening to any home truths he is in for a rude shock. Get your act together Jake accept the constructive criticism and pull your finger out. The club is always stronger than the individual.

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't bear to think about this prospect. To think of the high we were on this time last year. The silence from the club about Jake seems very ominous.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I can't bear to think about this prospect. To think of the high we were on this time last year. The silence from the club about Jake seems very ominous.
    Yep. These guys said it better than I ever can:

Hello darkness, my old friend. I've come to talk with you again. Because a vision softly creeping, left its seeds while I was sleeping. And the vision that was planted in my brain, still remains. Within the sound of silence.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes cinder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are there any facts in the public domain around any of this speculation?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Peter Gordon said the rumours were baseless at this point and all players are under scrutiny presently, on 774 this morning.

What do you want the club to do if it actually wants to trade Jake out if the right deal can be done?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Peter Gordon said the rumours were baseless at this point and all players are under scrutiny presently, on 774 this morning.

What do you want the club to do if it actually wants to trade Jake out if the right deal can be done?
    "Jake is not only contracted, but he's a required player and has the full support of the board and coaches".

Then trade him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

15. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Giansiraccuser View Post
    Are there any facts in the public domain around any of this speculation?
    Absolute Zero facts. Only Wallis comments above. PG says Wallis' comments could relate to any player.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolute Zero facts. Only Wallis comments above. PG says Wallis' comments could relate to any player.
    Great lawyers response.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    From what I've read it appears Geelong and North have been discussing Stringer well before this week.
    Doesn't his ex live in Geelong these days? Get her in the western suburbs so it's easier to see the kids.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Great lawyers response.
    He's a great lawyer.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I was initially referring to the idea of Bont having a dragged out contract negotiation.

The problem with all these situations is that, as fans, we never get to hear the whole story. We get bits and pieces, things a bloke at the pub heard, 'insights' from footy journos and endless reading of the tea leaves of anything that may have been said e.g. wallis' comments.

If Jake does get traded we will most likely never know whether he was indeed 'unprofessional' in his preparation or what that may have meant. There will be cliches from player and club, but we'll never actually know the extent of the issues, could they have been worked through, was there too much pride at stake for one or another of the parties, and a whole lot of other variables. So I don't have the foggiest if Jake should be traded and what's the right deal if so because we will never have the full facts and real knowledge of what's been going on.

He's an exceptional talent but there have been many exceptional talents who remain frustrating, under achieving and enigmatic and many of them who take a while to grow up. Think Jake might be in latter category so I hope like hell things can work out.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

21. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post