Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I just can't...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I just can't...

His most irritating comment " great call"(whoever) every second time he comes on .. So comentators now resort to complimenting each other on calling a game ??
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Re Ling. Reality is if he was a female, his looks would disqualify him from any TV role. He gets away with it -just -cos he's a bloke.
    But although, thankfully, we don't have to put up with his boof head during the game, we still have to endure that squeaky, preachy voice FFS! Like, why is the voice not considered to be a factor to consider when doling out media jobs?
    Apart from having a voice from hell he talks absolute drivel.
    That's what really annoys me. If he had anything original or vaguely intersesting to say then we'd put up with the shit reedy voice like we did with Leonard Cohen. But Limg talks nothing but bullshit and the blatantly obvious.

And then there was his unthinking and pathetic defence of Toby Greene...

I really want to bring him down for that.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    His most irritating comment " great call"(whoever) every second time he comes on .. So comentators now resort to complimenting each other on calling a game ??
    That and the "great question" response when someone asks him a question. Just answer his question without blowing smoke up his arse.

Post Thanks / Like

Why is it. radio gets special comments so much better? Stan Alves, Mark Macclure, and Taidgh Kennally on ABC radio are terrific. Has anyone heard Kennally cal the last minute of the game Richmond just lost earlier in the season? He basically takes over the commentary and says "Richmond are in all sorts of trouble here, they can't win with this structure." And they were 2 goals up with less than 90 seconds to play. Now that's special comments. It's not just talking crap about your mates and saying the first ridiculous opinion that comes into your head.

5. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes Topdog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's certainly a lot of verbal pocket jizzing one must endure during a standard broadcast.

The most satisfactory description of Ling I've heard is "that disgusting pink thing".

I can't improve on that.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

7. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Maclure he tells you how it is he doesn't sugar coat anything and isn't afraid to get something wrong.
    Old fashioned no bullshit, if your shit he will tell you your shit , if he doesn't agree with your statement he will tell you.
    He definitley doesn't blow up others arses.
    Doubt stringer would like him doing exit interviews ;-)
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    There's certainly a lot of verbal pocket jizzing one must endure during a standard broadcast.

The most satisfactory description of Ling I've heard is "that disgusting pink thing".

I can't improve on that.

I like it but can we add "bullshit producing" to disgusting pink thing please?

Post Thanks / Like

I like Maclure he tells you how it is he doesn't sugar coat anything and isn't afraid to get something wrong.
    Old fashioned no bullshit, if your shit he will tell you your shit , if he doesn't agree with your statement he will tell you.
    He definitley doesn't blow up others arses.
    Doubt stringer would like him doing exit interviews ;-)
    Macclure was 100% spot on about our problems and why we didn't win a flag in 2008-2010

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny, the guys on the ABC call the game without going over the top, even though you can't see what's happening. The guys on TV just say way too much without insight, even though you can actually see what's happening.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Jason Bennett's a good addition , but their team is dreadful

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's funny, the guys on the ABC call the game without going over the top, even though you can't see what's happening. The guys on TV just say way too much without insight, even though you can actually see what's happening.

That's a very good point. I think they make much better use of crowd noise to set atmosphere on the radio too. Commentaters seem to allow for it and sometimes it can really help to inform what they say or sound like they are right in amongst the crowd.

But on TV they just yell over it. One of the funniest things TV commentaters say is "oh listen to the crowd, they've gone wild" when it's the fact they won't shut up that's stopping us from hearing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Great point TD. You see tv commentators ignoring the crowd mostly with shots at goal and it is very confusing to watch them do it. Player kicks it and it is clearly going to be a goal so the home crowd a cheering wildly already and Bruce is shouting and pretending that it is going to be close and he doesn't know what will happen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Great point TD. You see tv commentators ignoring the crowd mostly with shots at goal and it is very confusing to watch them do it. Player kicks it and it is clearly going to be a goal so the home crowd a cheering wildly already and Bruce is shouting and pretending that it is going to be close and he doesn't know what will happen

When you listen to blokes like Jim Maxwell calling cricket. He never told you that there was an appeal for LBW, he lets the crowd do it. It's never "appeal for LBW" it's always "oh Big Shout..." And then the crowd noise and that's it. We know what's going on. We love cricket.

But if it was a football TV commentator. "Oh he walked in front of his stumps as the bowler bowled and the ball would have hit the wicket but God I love the sound of my own voice it hit his leg first and as a result didn't hit the wicket but the rules say if that happens the umpire can send you on your way way son yes that's what's happened here at the mighty MCG just now for Sir Brake a Lot clutch systems blah, blah, blah. What do you think Lingy" "I've never noticed this before but the non striker looks a bit like Justin Bieber. I wonder if he can sing too?" "Great question Lingy. I love Justin Timberlake"

16. Likes merantau, Topdog, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    When you listen to blokes like Jim Maxwell calling cricket. He never told you that there was an appeal for LBW, he lets the crowd do it. It's never "appeal for LBW" it's always "oh Big Shout..." And then the crowd noise and that's it. We know what's going on. We love cricket.

But if it was a football TV commentator. "Oh he walked in front of his stumps as the bowler bowled and the ball would have hit the wicket but God I love the sound of my own voice it hit his leg first and as a result didn't hit the wicket but the rules say if that happens the umpire can send you on your way way son yes that's what's happened here at the mighty MCG just now for Sir Brake a Lot clutch systems blah, blah, blah. What do you think Lingy" "I've never noticed this before but the non striker looks a bit like Justin Bieber. I wonder if he can sing too?" "Great question Lingy. I love Justin Timberlake"
    If you watch any of the old Winners games, the commentators let the pictures tell the stories, but yet could make the call exciting at the same time.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If you watch any of the old Winners games, the commentators let the pictures tell the stories, but yet could make the call exciting at the same time.

Tim Lane at Vic Park 1985. Brian Taylor drops an easy mark in the goal square and we coast (Brad Hardie and Doug Hawkins to Jim Edmond) it for a goal at the other end. Tim just says "Footscray just showing us how that should have been done"

19. Likes hujsh liked this post