Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
    Post Thanks / Like

The Agents AFLPA - Fox Footy Channel

The Agents follows three prominent accredited player agents as they deal with the many challenges confronting their clients. From injury, personal tragedy and the anxiety of the drafts, through to premiership and individual glory.
    Watched an episode tonight and featured Tim English as one of the draftees. Very interesting to watch.

Andrew McDougall handles Tim and spoke very well about his role and how the player agent assists the players. If you get a chance to watch it, I would highly recommend it.

Will try and find a video of tonight's episode. Most likely will be repeated on Foxfooty 504.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Agents AFLPA - Fox Footy Channel

Is that our Andrew McDougall?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Watched an episode tonight and featured Tim English as one of the draftees. Very interesting to watch.

Andrew McDougall handles Tim and spoke very well about his role and how the player agent assists the players. If you get a chance to watch it, I would highly recommend it.

Will try and find a video of tonight's episode. Most likely will be repeated on Foxfooty 504.
    Enjoyed the episode as well BD

Particularly enjoyed viewing the path of Tim English leading to his selection by us at pick 19 in last year's draft.

What came home very hard to me watching this part of the story is the responsibility that we as a Club have to provide a professional, safe and respectful workplace for these raw young kids to develop and grow within, who we extract from their loving families, and as in Tim's case, off the farm from far away in rural WA, to take up the privileged opportunity that they have been given.

In light of this, I can only applaud Bevo and the Club for making a stand in the endeavour to make our Club the very best that it can be, both on and off the field.

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does that make Tim English one of Doogs' Droogs?
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

6. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Recorded it BAD and looking forward to seeing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Is that our Andrew McDougall?
    Yep that is him.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Saw this by accident last night and it gives a really good insight into what the player agents do - surprisingly it's not all contract negotiations and trade deals!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Does that make Tim English one of Doogs' Droogs?
    I feel I am entitled to a cut.

11. Likes bulldogtragic, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Saw this by accident last night and it gives a really good insight into what the player agents do - surprisingly it's not all contract negotiations and trade deals!
    Yes I saw it by accident and missed some of the start. Is this a one off or ongoing series?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    The show really only focused on the feel good stories between player and agent, staying well away from any player / agent / Club management challenges. In this sense it felt quite unbalanced and more of just an info-commercial especially for Connors Sport Management.

Mel Oberhofer and Paul Connors must be working overtime to get Jake on the straight and narrow.

However I did enjoy the Tim English thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I saw it by accident and missed some of the start. Is this a one off or ongoing series?
    As far as I can tell it was just a once off.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    The show really only focused on the feel good stories between player and agent, staying well away from any player / agent / Club management challenges. In this sense it felt quite unbalanced and more of just an info-commercial especially for Connors Sport Management.

Mel Oberhofer and Paul Connors must be working overtime to get Jake on the straight and narrow.

However I did enjoy the Tim English thread.
    Considering the 3 agents are from different management companies I don't see how it was an advertisement for 1 of them. I think it focused on the things they do that most of us probably don't realise, rather than the things we assume they do. It did feature Mick Malthouse giving a bit of a whack saying something along the lines of there are agents that clubs don't like to deal with.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone has uploaded to YouTube - enjoy

16. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mel Oberhofer seemed more like a PA than an agent. Almost an extension of the club in Dangerfield's case.

Really enjoyed watching that last night
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Although it was a bit too short for my liking and I'd have preferred it to go longer and delve deeper - it at least gives the public a better idea of what the agents actually do.

A large portion of the sport watching public have a really distorted view of player agents and probably need a dose of reality - and by that I am just referring to this view that the agents just want to move players around to the biggest contract they can find - and that is their motive.

When you think of how little player movement there actually is in reality - and how loyal players actually are compared to how cut throat clubs are - it really doesn't make much sense to have the view that agents just want to move players around for more money/fees.

Can you imagine how awkward contract negotiations would be for players without the agents being there in the middle.

Say you are a fringe player at a club - and whilst you'd like to stay, you'd also like to gather as much information you could about what your opportunities and contract would look like elsewhere. How do you do that without it ending up in the newspapers, disappointing your club and supporters?

Sometimes the agents have to be the 'bad guy' with the clubs, so that players can understand what they are worth and have all of the necessary information to decide their future.

19. Likes hujsh, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, agents are a necessary evil or they wouldn't exist. Doesn't mean I have to like them.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite