Thanks Thanks:  175
Likes Likes:  994
Page 30 of 179 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132333435363738394080130 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stringer Trade Worth

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Anyway, we don't want to turn the Stringer trade value thread into the the reasons behind the Cal Ward departure.

I still want a top 12 pick for Stringer with maybe something else to sweeten the offer

Yep, agreed. I've said my piece about Cal Ward, several times in fact, let's get back to the topic.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

A very convenient and one sided view.
    He was low-balled and was dicked around by a coach and GM of footy that weren't working well together
    No doubt we didnt offer anywhere near enough for his manager to be happy once GWS came in with their godfather offer.

But probs not the thread for this stuff again.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Some talk Stringer will have to take a pay cut and Geelong will be offering pick 20 for him.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    No doubt we didnt offer anywhere near enough for his manager to be happy once GWS came in with their godfather offer.

But probs not the thread for this stuff again.
    My final say on this, had we been reasonable with the initial 12 months earlier it would have been done and dusted. We are talking about him being seriously low balled and the two senior people in the footy department not getting together to get it fixed despite assuring they would. We opened the door for GWS to make that huge offer and it was never a money thing because before that Ward and his manager just didn't think we were that serious about him. We got serious later on but it was late.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Some talk Stringer will have to take a pay cut and Geelong will be offering pick 20 for him.
    I think they mean as a starting point.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

My final say on this, had we been reasonable with the initial 12 months earlier it would have been done and dusted. We are talking about him being seriously low balled and the two senior people in the footy department not getting together to get it fixed despite assuring they would. We opened the door for GWS to make that huge offer and it was never a money thing because before that Ward and his manager just didn't think we were that serious about him. We got serious later on but it was late.

Yeah no doubt we made this a problem it should never have been too. Happy to never think about this situation ever again
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I struggle to see Stringer taking a pay cut willingly.

Maybe there's not so much demand for him on the market after all?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the idea is for Stringer to take a pay cut at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yep, agreed. I've said my piece about Cal Ward, several times in fact, let's get back to the topic.
    Wow.

10. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyway, we don't want to turn the Stringer trade value thread into the the reasons behind the Cal Ward departure.

I still want a top 12 pick for Stringer with maybe something else to sweeten the offer
    Absolutely

Whilst the talk has been cats - they don't have the picks or the assets

plus they likely don't have quite the salary that jakes wants - 600k plus per season

Saints dons and north enter the frame?

Post Thanks / Like

If this is indeed their starting point we should very firmly respond in kind and say "No, he's a contracted player, come back when you're serious, and don't offend us again".

Here we have a Club in Geelong, with the least to offer of any other Victorian based Club, trying to pry a top 5 selection from us, with the player, a 22 year old All Australian goal scorer, in most respects having proven his worth at this selection, and now dealing with some growing pains amplified by a break-up with his partner this season.

It is ludicrous to hear, given that we still have a year to turn this situation around with a supposedly great man manager in Bevo at the helm, that we have to put up with time wasting low-ball offers from our most threatening opponents for a contracted player albeit one that we have challenged to make right.
    Last edited by Doc26; 25-09-2017 at 10:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    If this is indeed their starting point we should very firmly respond in kind and say "No, he's a contracted player, come back when you're serious, and don't offend us again".

Here we have a Club in Geelong, with the least to offer of any other Victorian based Club, trying to pry a top 5 selection from us, with the player, a 22 year old All Australian goal scorer, in most respects having proven his worth at this selection, and now dealing with some growing pains amplified by a break-up with his partner this season.

It is ludicrous to hear, given that we still have a year to turn this situation around with a supposedly great man manager in Bevo at the helm, that we have to put up with time wasting low-ball offers from our most threatening opponents for a contracted player albeit one that we have challenged to make right.
    Agree 100% Doc. I can only hope that the Club has got a bloody good plan to make sure we are not bent over. I will be furious if we are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Agree 100% Doc. I can only hope that the Club has got a bloody good plan to make sure we are not bent over. I will be furious if we are.
    Do we need a plan?

Just need to have a minimum requirement for the trigger point to sign off on the trade.

15. Likes hujsh, Topdog, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Do we need a plan?

Just need to have a minimum requirement for the trigger point to sign off on the trade.

Correct. We need to draw a line in the sand (I hate that saying but it's appropriate here) and not go past it. "We want a top ten pick (or whatever) or Jake stays contracted to the western bulldogs" isn't a complicated equation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Maybe there's not so much demand for him on the market after all?
    Is there a chance we misread how much he'd be in demand or has our cards on the table approach scared off a few clubs?

It's a bit of a worry he seems like he'll choose Geelong and they haven't got much to trade.
    The curse is dead.