Thanks Thanks:  175
Likes Likes:  994
Page 17 of 179 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767117 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stringer Trade Worth

Try this
    LISTEN | Marko thinks Jake Stringer could well still be at the Dogs in 2018. Find out why: player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=136…
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Try this
    LISTEN | Marko thinks Jake Stringer could well still be at the Dogs in 2018. Find out why: player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=136…
    Neither of these work for me, sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Neither of these work for me, sorry.
    Looks like it's been taken off I'm getting error 404 now.
    Anyway basically the other side of the story that he could stay, so basically no journalist has a clue what's going on even though they infer they do.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Anyway basically the other side of the story that he could stay, so basically no journalist has a clue what's going on even though they infer they do.
    To be fair, if you were paid to talk, write or otherwise fill 'sports news' for hours a day, you have to make stuff up to justify the 38 hours a week. I've stopped news cold turkey a few months ago and it's been great. Admittedly I get my info on here now and rely on y'all, but if you don't like current journalism (sports or all) just quit it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Try this link
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Thanks MrMahatma thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ledge is referring to Mark Allen and Schwartz on SEN. All of this week and some of last Stringer has been a lead talking point. Allen reckons it is just one big rouse to get Stringer to straighten up and scare him for real.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

9. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Ledge is referring to Mark Allen and Schwartz on SEN. All of this week and some of last Stringer has been a lead talking point. Allen reckons it is just one big rouse to get Stringer to straighten up and scare him for real.
    Interesting theory.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Mark Allan is a terrific authority on all things golf. He knows less than nothing about every other sport played on earth.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

12. Likes Dry Rot, aker39, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Mark Allan is a terrific authority on all things golf. He knows less than nothing about every other sport played on earth.
    Yeah and to be fair to him he doesn't claim to have inside knowledge or even to be a journalist. He talks as a fan of footy and that's all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Yeah and to be fair to him he doesn't claim to have inside knowledge or even to be a journalist. He talks as a fan of footy and that's all.
    Basically a Big Footy poster with a microphone.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Basically a Big Footy poster with a microphone.
    Haha nah not really, he doesn't make up rubbish just gives his opinion

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Bulldogs have played this one very nicely. It’s market manipulation (i.e. stock bashing) at its finest. In Bevo we trust.

Since the whispers started, the Dogs haven’t refuted them. In fact they’ve been very public with a few carefully selected facts and quite positive with the language surrounding the facts. Jake’s enduring an existential life crisis and an associated lack of professionalism towards his football. They’ve asked for him to commit to his football and the ethos of the club, and he’s fallen short on those expectations. No single player is bigger than the club. The situation isn’t irretrievable, but we’ve had a gutful and the ball is in his court.

By making their intentions to trade him public, the Dogs are effectively driving down Jake’s value for his own good. Jake might think that he’s worth $1 million a year, but in doing their due diligence, other clubs will quickly realise there’s probably a bit more to it and he’s a liability. Clubs might be willing to take on that liability, but not for a first round draft pick and certainly not for $1m per year. Sure his manager will shop him around and talk him up, but at the end of the day he’s contracted and a player of amazing potential to the aspirations of the Dogs fortunes in 2018 and beyond.

I’ve heard the “AA player, premiership player, former pick 5” arguments when it comes to his trade value, but it all means very little when you’re this on the nose (What was Ben Cousins worth in 2005 vs 2007?). If there isn’t a good offer for him, he’ll hit rock bottom and find himself unwanted both within and outside the club. If he nominates a club who then offer below expectations value, it’ll hurt his pride and the Dogs will stand up for Jake and let the football world know he’s worth more than what is being offered, restart negotiations and welcome him home with open arms.

If he stays, the Dogs will have better leverage to get the most out of him. He’s got 6 months to get back on track physically and professionally or he’ll spend the year in VFL. If he’s bitter about how this has played out, he’ll still need to address the professionalism and play some good football for the Dogs to raise his stock up again. If he plays some good football, the Dogs will offer him a contract extension. Otherwise he’ll find himself uncontracted and not worth a great deal.

In no way am I certain which way this’ll go, but It’ll take a high draft pick (I’m thinking 11 from Dons or better) to prise him away or else he stays. If he goes, we head to the draft with two first round draft picks a year after winning a flag, a strong position to be in. If he goes, we’ve off-loaded a liability and can refocus getting the culture right.

As for addressing the party culture and the players who may have thought it would just happen in 2017, this has served to act as a wake-up call. The boys would have had their exit interviews, told no individual is bigger than the club and been given clear instruction to turn up for pre-season in shape and ready to go. Libba has already come out and said he’ll start pre-season 2 weeks early. Job’s right.

Bring on the trade period!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Giansiraccuser View Post
    I think the Bulldogs have played this one very nicely. It’s market manipulation (i.e. stock bashing) at its finest. In Bevo we trust.

Since the whispers started, the Dogs haven’t refuted them. In fact they’ve been very public with a few carefully selected facts and quite positive with the language surrounding the facts. Jake’s enduring an existential life crisis and an associated lack of professionalism towards his football. They’ve asked for him to commit to his football and the ethos of the club, and he’s fallen short on those expectations. No single player is bigger than the club. The situation isn’t irretrievable, but we’ve had a gutful and the ball is in his court.

By making their intentions to trade him public, the Dogs are effectively driving down Jake’s value for his own good. Jake might think that he’s worth $1 million a year, but in doing their due diligence, other clubs will quickly realise there’s probably a bit more to it and he’s a liability. Clubs might be willing to take on that liability, but not for a first round draft pick and certainly not for $1m per year. Sure his manager will shop him around and talk him up, but at the end of the day he’s contracted and a player of amazing potential to the aspirations of the Dogs fortunes in 2018 and beyond.

I’ve heard the “AA player, premiership player, former pick 5” arguments when it comes to his trade value, but it all means very little when you’re this on the nose (What was Ben Cousins worth in 2005 vs 2007?). If there isn’t a good offer for him, he’ll hit rock bottom and find himself unwanted both within and outside the club. If he nominates a club who then offer below expectations value, it’ll hurt his pride and the Dogs will stand up for Jake and let the football world know he’s worth more than what is being offered, restart negotiations and welcome him home with open arms.

If he stays, the Dogs will have better leverage to get the most out of him. He’s got 6 months to get back on track physically and professionally or he’ll spend the year in VFL. If he’s bitter about how this has played out, he’ll still need to address the professionalism and play some good football for the Dogs to raise his stock up again. If he plays some good football, the Dogs will offer him a contract extension. Otherwise he’ll find himself uncontracted and not worth a great deal.

In no way am I certain which way this’ll go, but It’ll take a high draft pick (I’m thinking 11 from Dons or better) to prise him away or else he stays. If he goes, we head to the draft with two first round draft picks a year after winning a flag, a strong position to be in. If he goes, we’ve off-loaded a liability and can refocus getting the culture right.

As for addressing the party culture and the players who may have thought it would just happen in 2017, this has served to act as a wake-up call. The boys would have had their exit interviews, told no individual is bigger than the club and been given clear instruction to turn up for pre-season in shape and ready to go. Libba has already come out and said he’ll start pre-season 2 weeks early. Job’s right.

Bring on the trade period!
    Solid post Giansiraccuser!!! Good to see you back on here great man!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Giansiraccuser View Post
    snip
    Pretty well reasoned there. While I understand and share the anxiety expressed you've presented an entirely plausible way (or two) that this could work out well for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ozza. I don't post much but enjoy reading the full gamut of opinions from the diehards more than ever.