Thanks Thanks:  175
Likes Likes:  994
Page 20 of 179 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070120 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stringer Trade Worth

And let me get this straight. Stringer is out the door due to sub standard professionalism and discipline yet apparently wants to go to Geelong because the leadership group will be a positive for him. Why? Due to them demanding more discipline from him?

I can see this ending in tears for Jake.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Why do we suddenly believe the dickhead warrior?

3. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Anything I write in this thread that refers to a rumour written by a journo has an unwritten 'if this is correct' disclaimer.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post

Some people really seem to enjoy Chicken Littling. I have no idea why, the sky is still in the, err, Sky as far as I can make out. Henny Penny and Ducky Lucky are in no immediate danger. But if we panic so much that we do let Foxy Loxy in then we are in trouble.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I flicked over to TFS last night during a Front Bar commercial break. (I know this sounds like an "I hardly ever eat at McDonald's" statement, but I really do never watch the Footy Show!) I caught Barrett's section and held off thumbing the remote - just out of curiosity to see when he'd mention the word Stringer and to see if he could resist trying to pot his old nemesis, Beveridge...

It took about six seconds!

Barrett actually told us nothing new. It was actually quite enlightening to see what a little grub he is. His formula is to take pieces of what's already out there, add some mayonnaise, and then extrapolate. In turn, shaping his own narrative in order to cultivate a story.
    A story which he can then presumably present as new, whilst also serving his own petty little agenda.

In short, he pretty much makes shit up! He'd deny this and feign offence at the accusation. He'd point to the sprinkling of half truths in his stories. Good journalism is about gathering fact and reporting it. It is not about shaping a story with your own personal gut feel and opinion. Barrett needs to decide whether he a reporter or an editorialist. You can't be both!

And his dislike of Beveridge and the WBFC is so transparent that it's embarrassing. I've actually defended Barrett at times in the past, but he's now totally removed any doubt by that he is, in fact, a grubby little hack. It was cringeworthy.

One little aside was that, as a result of him feeling aggrieved that McGure made a captain's call and presented a 'big' story (for which Barrett had apparently done the legwork on a few weeks back), Barrett clearly blindsided Eddie with a question about the Pies interviewing Simon Lethlean for their CEO position. This was, in some ways, amusing - as it caught Eddie on the hop and clearly rattled him.

However at the same time, I couldn't help thinking "geez he'd be an unlikable little prick!"

7. Likes bornadog, G-Mo77, KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    BRown is a good contested mark and a beautiful kick. I would have him ahead of every other player on our list for goal kicking other than Dickson. He kicked 63 goals this year, and Probably took 10times More contested marks than anyone else on our list. I am really staggered we did not pick him up initially in the 2013 draft. We picked fuller before him , what the hell were we thinking ???
    63 goals in spite of the bunch of shit trucks around him no less.

So with our forward delivery you can can guarantee he'd be good for at least 25.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

9. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Barrett apparently mentioned that we have lost our position of potentially dealing with a number of clubs with Stringer because he has now pretty much decided it's Geelong where he wants to move to. Ironically it's because of their leadership group and he sees that as a positive for him.
    I heard that his ex and kids are now living in Geelong. If so that is a very good reason why he wants to play there. I am not 100% if this is true but told by a good friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yep, similar to the deal Hawthorn engineered for JO'M.

Is Jmac capable of coordinating something similar?
    I'm not sure why J-Mac's abilities are being questioned so regularly. He got a couple wrong last year but lets face it appears there were quite a few at the club off their game since the flag.

There is a trade committee and I'm confident it won't fall over because of J-Mac.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I heard that his ex and kids are now living in Geelong. If so that is a very good reason why he wants to play there. I am not 100% if this is true but told by a good friend.

And he doesn't think he will drive past her as he drives down the highway because the moment she finds out he plans on moving to Geelong?

Jake needs to stop being so interdependent and grow up. This is not something that's only happened to him. The rest of us come to terms with it and move on,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The legal reality is he is contracted so he can nominate where he likes but we have all the legal rights. People will understand when all the truth comes out. All we have to do is not get distracted from the path we have chosen.

Discipline is what we need. We can't react to what Barrett says or then we will be *!*!*!*!ed.

Having said that I'm commenting on a normal situation and this situation is anything but normal.
    He has a contract which also means we can't trade him somewhere else without his agreement. Say if Norf want him and he doesn't want to go there then that avenue is closed. If it's just Geelong and no one else that's it. He either sees out his contract or we get lowballed. All that being said it came from Barrett so I really don't put much weight into his 1 minute of grubby little swipes at our coach and club.

Post Thanks / Like

So here goes:

Geelong will offer pick 20 & 33 (2 second rounders) and a plodder. For argument sake we say pick 20, 33 & Cockatoo (if he passes a medical) for Stringer & pick 80. Say they agree to this which is two second rounders and a player. Reasonable. So:

9, 20, 26, 33, 39 & Cockatoo (speed, good user), Trengove (ruck/defender)
    -----
    Crameri, Honey & 39 to Essendon for 28 (both have a link/rumour to Essendon) (reasonable)
    -----
    9, 20, 26, 28, 33 & Cockatoo (speed, good user), Trengove (ruck/defender)
    -----
    26 & 28 to Brisabne for 18 or 19 (FA compo on Rockliff dependant) - Draft points trade with Callenden in the mix before (300 points up, we may ask for a player with that rise) (reasonable)
    -----
    9, 19, 21, 33 & Cockatoo (speed, good user), Trengove (ruck/defender)
    -----
    Draft points trade to help Richmond (160 points up) - 19, 21 & 33 for 15 & 16 (reasonable)
    -----
    Picks: 9, 15, 16 (trade &/or use) (3 first rounders)
    Pick 81: (elevate Roarke Smith)
    Players: Cockatoo (speed, good user), Trengove (ruck/defender)

Plus Stringers $500,000 salary & $800,000 in 'Hurley Cash' can give us a look at any other free agents, or go at a big trade! Big trade!

Outs: Players we've made clear we are not signing yet or we want out, Stringer, Crameri, Honey. I'd guess Campbell might want out maybe.

Issues: With Stringer, Crameri, Honey, Hamilton & Tweedie all gone, we need some forwards.

List: 6 vacancies needed. (1) Bob, (2) Boyd, (3) Hamilton (4) Stringer, (5) Crameri, (6) Honey

Direction: Three first rounders. Draft? Aggressively pursue Saad, Duggan, Schache, Wright and so on?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

16. Thanks Bulldog4life, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, N/A, bornadog, Sedat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be dry reaching every time Stringer kicks a goal for Geelong - should this eventuate.

Rather him go to Essendon FFS.

18. Likes N/A, kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    He has a contract which also means we can't trade him somewhere else without his agreement. Say if Norf want him and he doesn't want to go there then that avenue is closed. If it's just Geelong and no one else that's it. He either sees out his contract or we get lowballed. All that being said it came from Barrett so I really don't put much weight into his 1 minute of grubbing little swipes at our coach and club.
    Yep, tend to agree. Barrett's full of shit. I've already rewarded him by giving him far too much attention.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I flicked over to TFS last night during a Front Bar commercial break. (I know this sounds like an "I hardly ever eat at McDonald's" statement, but I really do never watch the Footy Show!) I caught Barrett's section and held off thumbing the remote - just out of curiosity to see when he'd mention the word Stringer and to see if he could resist trying to pot his old nemesis, Beveridge...

It took about six seconds!

Barrett actually told us nothing new. It was actually quite enlightening to see what a little grub he is. His formula is to take pieces of what's already out there, add some mayonnaise, and then extrapolate. In turn, shaping his own narrative in order to cultivate a story.
    A story which he can then presumably present as new, whilst also serving his own petty little agenda.

In short, he pretty much makes shit up! He'd deny this and feign offence at the accusation. He'd point to the sprinkling of half truths in his stories. Good journalism is about gathering fact and reporting it. It is not about shaping a story with your own personal gut feel and opinion. Barrett needs to decide whether he a reporter or an editorialist. You can't be both!

And his dislike of Beveridge and the WBFC is so transparent that it's embarrassing. I've actually defended Barrett at times in the past, but he's now totally removed any doubt by that he is, in fact, a grubby little hack. It was cringeworthy.

One little aside was that, as a result of him feeling aggrieved that McGure made a captain's call and presented a 'big' story (for which Barrett had apparently done the legwork on a few weeks back), Barrett clearly blindsided Eddie with a question about the Pies interviewing Simon Lethlean for their CEO position. This was, in some ways, amusing - as it caught Eddie on the hop and clearly rattled him.

However at the same time, I couldn't help thinking "geez he'd be an unlikable little prick!"
    Following on what Webby said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/med...da0173fc2c382a

STRINGER SAGA TAKES ANOTHER TURN

THE Jake Stringer trade saga has taken another turn, with the Bulldogs looking to determine the out-of-favour forward’s destination, according to reports.

Journalist Damian Barrett told Channel 9’s The Footy Show that the Bulldogs had been “pushing back” on Stringer’s right to determine his club of choice.

“Strangely enough now ... despite effectively sacking Jake Stringer, they are now pushing back on Jake Stringer’s right to publicly nominate a club of choice,” Barrett said.

“They feel that they have the right to negotiate this from the outset and choose the best club on their behalf.

“But Stringer’s not going to be having a bar of that — he will be choosing a club.”

Barrett also reported Geelong remained the frontrunners for Stringer’s services ahead of Essendon, with the Cats’ off-field leadership a key appeal for the 23-year-old.

He said the way the Stringer situation had played out in public had reduced the forward’s trade currency.

“There’s now internal acknowledgment within the Bulldogs that ... some layers of this story have been atrociously handled from within,” Barrett said.

“From Luke Beveridge initially failing to personally tell Jake Stringer that he would be traded to Luke Beveridge going publicly.

“The effect of him going public with the problems around Jake Stringer have meant that they have significantly reduced their trade currency on getting him off their books.”

Post Thanks / Like

I can spot half a dozen factual errors in just those two articles.

22. Likes bornadog liked this post