Thanks Thanks:  175
Likes Likes:  994
Page 4 of 179 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stringer Trade Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Was Gaz Snr an AA player at Hawthorn?

My memory tells me had only played a handful of games and hadn't done a lot.
    You are right Mantis. His off field antics were the reason the Hawks traded him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Did the Hawks get much for Gaz Snr?

Seems a similar issue - superstar with significant problems, Geelong won the trade and the Hawks won a stack of flags. I know which club I'd rather emulate.
    Gary Ablett Snr's problems were a lot more serious and significant than Jake's. Albeit probably proportional to the times. Jake has punctuality, personal and attitude related problems. Gary Snr's were with the law.

Nonetheless, point taken and agreed with by yours truely. A strong club culture is built on being strong.

I'm not sure Hawthorn got much for Gary. It's not often talked about, but the reason he left Hawthorn was pretty much due to his incarceration in the Beechworth Prison. Neighbouring club, Myrtleford, arranged for day release for him to play for them on Saturdays. After his time was served, he was recruited by Tommy Hafey at Geelong. Word was that Gary being removed from his Melbourne environment (with his wayward nature and dubious connections) would be good for him. Therefore no real trade of note.

Comparisons between Jake and Gary are unfair on Jake - both on and off the field!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Did the Hawks get much for Gaz Snr?

Seems a similar issue - superstar with significant problems, Geelong won the trade and the Hawks won a stack of flags. I know which club I'd rather emulate.
    No, but Ablett was a 3 game player who was a lunatic (and cruel with it, the way only country boys can be) off field with at a club with a new coach (Jeans and you didn't *!*!*!*! around with Alan Jeans) that was looking to make a point. Jake is an AA Premiership player with other clubs slathering over him so there's a bit of a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    That rarely happens. Out of contract players get traded to their club of choice, generally with a minimum of fuss and the existing team getting bent over.

The time to trade a player is when they are under contract, especially when there are suitors with money to throw around for trade targets.
    Just as a matter of interest if the boot was on the other foot, Jake plays for Esendon, has shit the nest and we want him to come to us. How does that play out? Do we still somehow get bent over in your world?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Paul Connors is the key to this. We need to get on the front foot early and say to Paul Connors and Jakes go to person (Alex?) and say it's a top 10 pick or he stays. Or whatever we think he's worth.

He is on record saying that he tends to steer his players in the direction of the club who is in a position to get a trade done.

As in a club who can satisfy the club who is trading the player i.e The Dogs.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't want to go crazy, I suggest avoiding social media and talkback radio for the next few weeks.

Here were some of the suggestions.

Stringer straight swap for Goldstein
    Stringer and Crameri for Laverde and Langford
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

6. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    If you don't want to go crazy, I suggest avoiding social media and talkback radio for the next few weeks.

Always, irrespective of the situation, avoid social media and talkback when it comes to football.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

8. Likes Remi Moses, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would rather gouge my own eyes out than watch Laverde in our colours.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I would rather gouge my own eyes out than watch Laverde in our colours.
    What about Goldstein................................................ and pick 4
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

And we'll trade Rourke Smith, Matthew Suckling and Stewart Crameri for Danniher.

Post Thanks / Like

Not just social media and talkback - the Herald Sun are running with Stringer for Goldstein.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Not just social media and talkback - the Herald Sun are running with Stringer for Goldstein.
    I just saw that, that journo has rocks in his head
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    And we'll trade Rourke Smith, Matthew Suckling and Stewart Crameri for Danniher.
    I like that one

Post Thanks / Like

I may be alone on this but I think Goldie has peaked and is now going to trend downwards.
    A top ten pick and a player with a possible upside and 10 years left in the game.
    BTW I hope the penny drops with Jake and he commits to the club.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

In defence of the radio station it was just callers who barrack for those clubs making those stupid ideas up.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

SEN reporting Richmond are interested in Stringer. From GVGs first post, 9 & 26 for 15 & 16 gets us about par on draft points, so that could be half of an interesting trade. But signing Dusty to more than they otherwise might have thought would bust their cap. Do they have players that we could target as a the second part, that earn good money to free their cap up? I haven't watched much of them, but is Rioli someone that could get it done and/or gettable? Or who else? If they can't free their cap, Jake's not going there.

In: 15, 16, Rioli/Other
    Out: 9, 26, Stringer
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 14-09-2017 at 08:39 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023