Thanks Thanks:  175
Likes Likes:  994
Page 19 of 179 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969119 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stringer Trade Worth

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    From SEN this morning:
    It's not really a rumour just an opinion. Preuss won't go anywhere. Norf are cashed up, they'll make it work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Giansiraccuser View Post
    I think the Bulldogs have played this one very nicely. It’s market manipulation (i.e. stock bashing) at its finest. In Bevo we trust.

Since the whispers started, the Dogs haven’t refuted them. In fact they’ve been very public with a few carefully selected facts and quite positive with the language surrounding the facts. Jake’s enduring an existential life crisis and an associated lack of professionalism towards his football. They’ve asked for him to commit to his football and the ethos of the club, and he’s fallen short on those expectations. No single player is bigger than the club. The situation isn’t irretrievable, but we’ve had a gutful and the ball is in his court.

By making their intentions to trade him public, the Dogs are effectively driving down Jake’s value for his own good. Jake might think that he’s worth $1 million a year, but in doing their due diligence, other clubs will quickly realise there’s probably a bit more to it and he’s a liability. Clubs might be willing to take on that liability, but not for a first round draft pick and certainly not for $1m per year. Sure his manager will shop him around and talk him up, but at the end of the day he’s contracted and a player of amazing potential to the aspirations of the Dogs fortunes in 2018 and beyond.

I’ve heard the “AA player, premiership player, former pick 5” arguments when it comes to his trade value, but it all means very little when you’re this on the nose (What was Ben Cousins worth in 2005 vs 2007?). If there isn’t a good offer for him, he’ll hit rock bottom and find himself unwanted both within and outside the club. If he nominates a club who then offer below expectations value, it’ll hurt his pride and the Dogs will stand up for Jake and let the football world know he’s worth more than what is being offered, restart negotiations and welcome him home with open arms.

If he stays, the Dogs will have better leverage to get the most out of him. He’s got 6 months to get back on track physically and professionally or he’ll spend the year in VFL. If he’s bitter about how this has played out, he’ll still need to address the professionalism and play some good football for the Dogs to raise his stock up again. If he plays some good football, the Dogs will offer him a contract extension. Otherwise he’ll find himself uncontracted and not worth a great deal.

In no way am I certain which way this’ll go, but It’ll take a high draft pick (I’m thinking 11 from Dons or better) to prise him away or else he stays. If he goes, we head to the draft with two first round draft picks a year after winning a flag, a strong position to be in. If he goes, we’ve off-loaded a liability and can refocus getting the culture right.

As for addressing the party culture and the players who may have thought it would just happen in 2017, this has served to act as a wake-up call. The boys would have had their exit interviews, told no individual is bigger than the club and been given clear instruction to turn up for pre-season in shape and ready to go. Libba has already come out and said he’ll start pre-season 2 weeks early. Job’s right.

Bring on the trade period!
    Probably the most fanciful post of them all and certainly the most romantic. A great read, thanks.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    I could tolerate Stringer running around for them if it meant BBB doing likewise for us.
    Brown is like a less talented, more reliable, ranga version of Skinner.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

4. Likes Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Brown is like a less talented, more reliable, ranga version of Skinner.
    Brown's like that 5ft 6in to 5ft 7in guy I went to high school with who developed later than everyone else?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

BRown is a good contested mark and a beautiful kick. I would have him ahead of every other player on our list for goal kicking other than Dickson. He kicked 63 goals this year, and Probably took 10times More contested marks than anyone else on our list. I am really staggered we did not pick him up initially in the 2013 draft. We picked fuller before him , what the hell were we thinking ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    BRown is a good contested mark and a beautiful kick. I would have him ahead of every other player on our list for goal kicking other than Dickson. He kicked 63 goals this year, and Probably took 10times More contested marks than anyone else on our list. I am really staggered we did not pick him up initially in the 2013 draft. We picked fuller before him , what the hell were we thinking ???
    It's what happens when you don't go best available at the draft.

We really needed a player who could run and kick the ball after Lindsay Gilbee retired. Brad Fuller could run and kick the ball. Up until he got onto on our list he could anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Barrett apparently mentioned that we have lost our position of potentially dealing with a number of clubs with Stringer because he has now pretty much decided it's Geelong where he wants to move to. Ironically it's because of their leadership group and he sees that as a positive for him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Likes Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was always going to happen. Players choose a club and we deal with them. Bidding wars never happen.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Barrett apparently mentioned that we have lost our position of potentially dealing with a number of clubs with Stringer because he has now pretty much decided it's Geelong where he wants to move to. Ironically it's because of their leadership group and he sees that as a positive for him.
    He also said something along the lines of we aren't going to let him nominate a club of his choice? He really is painting us as the bad guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Gee we have handled this poorly. We really needed to keep our powder dry on announcing our intentions and more importantly the reasons why.

But for whatever reason we couldn't.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Barrett said We have effectively sacked Jake and are pushing him back on his right to publicly nominate a club of his choice. Jake is having none of it and will nominate Geelong because he needs their leadership which Jake has acknowledged.

Post Thanks / Like

The legal reality is he is contracted so he can nominate where he likes but we have all the legal rights. People will understand when all the truth comes out. All we have to do is not get distracted from the path we have chosen.

Discipline is what we need. We can't react to what Barrett says or then we will be *!*!*!*!ed.

Having said that I'm commenting on a normal situation and this situation is anything but normal.

Post Thanks / Like

Herald sun website

MORRIS: STRINGER ALWAYS WELCOME AT THE DOGS

IF not with the coach, Jake Stringer remains popular with the Western Bulldogs playing group.

After being told he was no longer wanted after a disappointing 2017 campaign, Stringer is looking for a new home.

However, if a deal can't be worked out with a rival club, Bulldogs veteran Dale Morris says the premiership forward will be welcomed back at Whitten Oval.

"It’s something that you’d have to ask Jake with how he’s feeling with the whole situation ... but if a deal wasn’t done and he was at the club next year, we would embrace him as the playing group and hold him in tight, because at the moment he’s still one of us," Morris told Fox Footy.

“He’s still contracted, he’s still a Bulldog. So we don’t see him on the outer, we don’t see him as a rival or anything like that — he’s a teammate.

“So we look after our teammates and at the moment he is still a teammate — that’s the way we look at him.”

Morris admitted that even he had been "intimidated" by his exit meeting with Beveridge and hinted that Stringer needed to do more to meet club standards.

“I think that goes for any player. Every player needs to live the standards and the expectations that we have at the football club and with the exit meetings, you leave exit meetings knowing where you stand and the things you did well, the things you need to improve on and what to look forward to next year,” he said.

‘So I left my exit meeting with ‘Bevo’ quite clear with what I needed to do and that’s what they’re designed for — so everyone’s exit meetings are different but they can be pretty intimidating.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...aa8467a7872635

16. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know the one club position for Stringer seems restricting but it doesn't mean a 3rd club wouldn't get involved to satisfy our requirements. I think it's just the case of being well prepared and to really canvass other clubs to look for opportunities.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I know the one club position for Stringer seems restricting but it doesn't mean a 3rd club wouldn't get involved to satisfy our requirements. I think it's just the case of being well prepared and to really canvass other clubs to look for opportunities.
    Yep, similar to the deal Hawthorn engineered for JO'M.

Is Jmac capable of coordinating something similar?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.