Thanks Thanks:  175
Likes Likes:  994
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stringer Trade Worth

When Stringer first arrived at the Bulldogs we were all excited by his swagger and arrogance. Seems that attitude may have had a dark side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    When Stringer first arrived at the Bulldogs we were all excited by his swagger and arrogance. Seems that attitude may have had a dark side.
    Goddard will point him in the right direction. A better pointer than Higgins.

3. Likes ratsmac, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    One things for sure, we'll be drawn to play the creeps twice next season. The AFL and the broadcasters love this hype.
    Round one, Friday night, lock it in.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

5. Likes Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we can be angry or upset with what we got at all. Fact of the matter is, he wanted out, would only go to the bombers and that is that. Its a reality that clubs in this situation cannot get the value that is fair for players like this (Nick Stevens anyone?)
    The bombers and the media can spin it as a huge win etc, which it may well be (lets hope Jake turns his life around)
    As for our club, we can hold our heads high in that we've done nothing wrong and be happy to get rid of a destablising influence.

Meanwhile Jake has told Essendon that he will turn his life around, yet goes away on holiday to Las Vegas (where all recovering gamblers go) (JJ and Suckling, do you think it was smart taking him there?)

Needless to say, I really do for him and his young families sake he defeats his demons and becomes a better person.

Jake is the one who caused this, Jake is the one who has to look back and see what he has done in his career and how he flushed it away with the dogs and could have become a legend at our club.

Good luck Jake, all the best, cant wait for Cordy to show you the patented "Callan Ward silencing Elbow of doom."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    I don't think we can be angry or upset with what we got at all. Fact of the matter is, he wanted out, would only go to the bombers and that is that. Its a reality that clubs in this situation cannot get the value that is fair for players like this (Nick Stevens anyone?)
    The bombers and the media can spin it as a huge win etc, which it may well be (lets hope Jake turns his life around)
    As for our club, we can hold our heads high in that we've done nothing wrong and be happy to get rid of a destablising influence.

Meanwhile Jake has told Essendon that he will turn his life around, yet goes away on holiday to Las Vegas (where all recovering gamblers go) (JJ and Suckling, do you think it was smart taking him there?)

Needless to say, I really do for him and his young families sake he defeats his demons and becomes a better person.

Jake is the one who caused this, Jake is the one who has to look back and see what he has done in his career and how he flushed it away with the dogs and could have become a legend at our club.

Good luck Jake, all the best, cant wait for Cordy to show you the patented "Callan Ward silencing Elbow of doom."
    I hope for his kids sake he turns it around. But Jake and even Abbey were asking for it especially if rumours are true that Abbey leaked a timely article to help devalue Stringer in order to get him to the bombers.

A guy who broke his leg in half yet still takes everything he has for granted will need to put in some sort of turnaround. I know most of us quietly will hope he doesn't so we win the trade but we certainly need to keep what you say in mind.

For me I think he might pull some things together but will probably end up, for you NBA fans, like Dwight Howard. Underachieving no matter where he goes and the teams he plays for suffer at he same time.

Time will tell but it's certainly apparent he was a cancer at our club and we were willing to do almost anything to get rid of him

Post Thanks / Like

The 2018 2nd rounder is puzzling to say the least. Other than that, we made the best of the situation and did much better than I thought we would at the start of the day.

Schache for 2 picks we weren't even going to use is criminal. Stringer was unders but only because of the 2018 2nd rounder - clearly we have someone in mind with pick 16. And we've gotten rid of a cancer from our club who has been flaky at best for 2 years now.

I'm ok with our net end result.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    The 2018 2nd rounder is puzzling to say the least. Other than that, we made the best of the situation and did much better than I thought we would at the start of the day.

Schache for 2 picks we weren't even going to use is criminal. Stringer was unders but only because of the 2018 2nd rounder - clearly we have someone in mind with pick 16. And we've gotten rid of a cancer from our club who has been flaky at best for 2 years now.

I think the second rounder was about taking our players of Brisbane's radar...

Rightfully so, they rejected pick 25 as the trade for Schache. My guess the response was 25 & Jong. We had no other picks to turn the trade, effective into a draft points trade....

So we add the 2018 second rounder to Carlton, who give us pick 40. This with 25 turns it into about pick 13 on DVI...

Now we say Jong and others are off the table, this covers your points for Ballenden take it. Which they do, and then they do another trade to assist in maximising returns before Ballenden might be nominated.

So the options look like:

A) Trade a mid range player, like Jong
    B) Walk away from the trade with pick 25 not being enough
    C) Trade the second rounder, knowing we've got an extra 4th off Freo, secure Schache and keep players we don't want to trade

I was pissed early this afternoon at it. But I can see the rationale behind it, it could've been as blunt as getting Schache is Jong vs 2018 2nd. That pick might be 30 or 40. Likely our draft next year is about points, so we will do points stuff next year and may not have even used it in a live pick sense. So I'm ok with it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Thanks Sedat, boydogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, time to open up.

I'm very glad that Stringer has gone from our club, really ecstatic to be honest.
    We might not see the benefits on field next year but in the training centre and the locker rooms we will be far better off by moving him on and in the long run we will be better for it both on and off the field.

I hope we have also sent a very strong message to others at the club that they all need to rally together as a team to get the best out of everyone and if not they will also be pushed out of the club.

Take the long term view people, we will be better for moving on a disruptive and negative influence.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

We have a lot of work to do next year to recover what we lost but I agree we made the best of a difficult situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    OK, time to open up.

I'm very glad that Stringer has gone from our club, really ecstatic to be honest.
    We might not see the benefits on field next year but in the training centre and the locker rooms we will be far better off by moving him on and in the long run we will be better for it both on and off the field.

I hope we have also sent a very strong message to others at the club that they all need to rally together as a team to get the best out of everyone and if not they will also be pushed out of the club.

Take the long term view people, we will be better for moving on a disruptive and negative influence.
    Weren't you advocating you'd like him to stay and redeem himself Gary?

I say that as someone who schizophrenically flip-flopped on the issue daily.

Why the great relief and apparent change of heart? If I may be so nosy.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly hope Jake can turn around his demons and that his life gets back on track. Have seen enough of people in his situation in society. He moves on . The club moves on. Thanks for the thrills and spills Jakey.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Weren't you advocating you'd like him to stay and redeem himself Gary?

I say that as someone who schizophrenically flip-flopped on the issue daily.

Why the great relief and apparent change of heart? If I may be so nosy.
    I would have given him the benefit of the doubt had he stayed but his comments in the last week really put me off him.
    For the the benefit of the club he is far better gone. We lose a lot of talent but we also lose a negative and disruptive influence.

They say culture eats the best plans for breakfast and I'm convinced our culture will improve with his departure. It's over to the coaches now to make sure we jump on anyone regardless of ability that doesn't embrace the team culture. We should never again be in a position where the coach has to come out and say it's best for the club that a player departs unless we have stood them down.
    We jumped on a lazy arse rookie and sent him packing yet it appears we had a lot of difficulty controlling Jake. We need to set a standard at the club that doesn't tolerate poor behavior from any player.

Post Thanks / Like

Just don't know how I feel about this. To lose a player that, at the beginning of the year, I was thinking "He looks like he's got some of his spark back"... A player that could conceivably be one of the greatest...

I don't know. I back the club, I'm not in the inner sanctum and can't personally see the goings on. I guess I have to trust Bevo et al that this is best for the club. I said to someone today that if Bob and Lachie both said publicly that there have been problems, there must have been. I just dread the thought of Jake turning himself around, and tearing us apart in another teams' colours (especially that mob).
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

What would you have done Sedat with only half an hour in trade period to go, no leverage and Carlton sitting pretty with no real reason to trade for parity?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

18. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will come out now and say he hasn't shown that he has the character to turn his life around. Essendon may well have imported a poisoned chalice.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

20. Likes Dry Rot liked this post