Thanks Thanks:  175
Likes Likes:  994
Page 175 of 179 FirstFirst ... 75125165166167168169170171172173174175176177178179 LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,625 of 2680
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stringer Trade Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'm a scrawny bastard and I've never been into the whole definition thing. When you say his 'arm definition" Do you mean that his arms look pink and shell like?
    My biggest fear was that we'd see a big, strong, ripped looking Stringer roll out this year and he'd burn up the competition (the way I'd be seething to do if what happened to him in the off season happened to me) but I think I can put that fear to bed.

He looks shocking.
    No striations or visible muscle separation on his arms, very little vascularity.

His arms are covered in a layer of fat - compare this to the images we're seeing of Libba. Much more defined, more veins popping, means he's worked hard to drop body fat %.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    No striations or visible muscle separation on his arms, very little vascularity.

His arms are covered in a layer of fat - compare this to the images we're seeing of Libba. Much more defined, more veins popping, means he's worked hard to drop body fat %.
    Cooney used to look the same after his knee injury, sort of pudgy. Am I right in thinking that slightly pinkish hue is a bit of a give away?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Cooney used to look the same after his knee injury, sort of pudgy. Am I right in thinking that slightly pinkish hue is a bit of a give away?
    Looking at him it seems he's been told to limit upper body muscle building work (probably due to them wanting to get him into the middle) but has struggled to get his skin folds down.

He's always been a player who hasn't been "cut", in my view he doesn't look too bad for week three of January by his standards. Perhaps however, that's the issue for him. How hard has he ever pushed himself to generate genuine baseline standards for himself? A player like Jake could probably work his arse off harder and harder each year and never get to his full potential because of his own standards.

If he doesn't reach the required standard to become a midfield player, then he's going to end up a 6ft 4in player not strong enough to be a commanding all round forward player, much like he was with us.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Still has the arm definition of a lazy teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Looking at him it seems he's been told to limit upper body muscle building work (probably due to them wanting to get him into the middle) but has struggled to get his skin folds down.

He's always been a player who hasn't been "cut", in my view he doesn't look too bad for week three of January by his standards. Perhaps however, that's the issue for him. How hard has he ever pushed himself to generate genuine baseline standards for himself? A player like Jake could probably work his arse off harder and harder each year and never get to his full potential because of his own standards.

If he doesn't reach the required standard to become a midfield player, then he's going to end up a 6ft 4in player not strong enough to be a commanding all round forward player, much like he was with us.
    I think I'm only now starting to truly understand what people mean when they say that you have a duty to your club and your teammates to be in the best physical shape possible to play footy. It doesn't matter how talented you are and what you can do, it's what your best could be. And to be the best you can be means you have to work hard, make sacrifices and present in the best possible physical shape so they can teach you to do your job.

Jake Stringer is as talented as Marcus Bontempelli but one works hard to be his alsolute best and one likes to party and cruise by on his considerable natural talent. And that's why Jake Stringer is at Essendon and Marcus Bontempelli will lead to us to multiple premierships.

Indeed put yourself in the Bont's shoes. You slog your guts out day after day to make yourself a better player and then you look across at Jake Stringer cruising along in automatic and taking short cuts. You'd be pretty annoyed and have every right to walk out the door if nothing was done.

5. Likes Bulldog Joe, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought we should've done much better on the Stringer trade, you only need to look at pick 5 Essendon got for Carlisle the year before to see that, but I also think Stringer is a massively overrated player.

He's quick and strong, and he can do the occasional flashy thing, but that's about it as far as I'm concerned. He can't mark overhead, he fumbles chest marks regularly too, he struggles to find the ball in volume, has a poor tank/work ethic, and is one of the worst set shots for goal I've ever seen.

What was really noticeable last year was the way teams approached playing on him. When he was the deepest forward he'd always try to play from behind looking for the cheap goal out the back, so defenders would push back, knowing he would move further back towards goal to be behind them, so they'd do it again, and so would Stringer. Eventually it would get to the point he'd be looking for a kick over the top from a team mate with the ball 80m or more away and he was out out the game. It's one of the reason he'd go such long periods of time without touching the ball. He simply won't present at the ball carrier and opposition teams know it. He needs to find another trick or footy is going to get harder and harder for him.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

7. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes soupman, macca, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I thought we should've done much better on the Stringer trade, you only need to look at pick 5 Essendon got for Carlisle the year before to see that, but I also think Stringer is a massively overrated player.

He's quick and strong, and he can do the occasional flashy thing, but that's about it as far as I'm concerned. He can't mark overhead, he fumbles chest marks regularly too, he struggles to find the ball in volume, has a poor tank/work ethic, and is one of the worst set shots for goal I've ever seen.

What was really noticeable last year was the way teams approached playing on him. When he was the deepest forward he'd always try to play from behind looking for the cheap goal out the back, so defenders would push back, knowing he would move further back towards goal to be behind them, so they'd do it again, and so would Stringer. Eventually it would get to the point he'd be looking for a kick over the top from a team mate with the ball 80m or more away and he was out out the game. It's one of the reason he'd go such long periods of time without touching the ball. He simply won't present at the ball carrier and opposition teams know it. He needs to find another trick or footy is going to get harder and harder for him.
    The only game in which he didn't play that way was against St.Kilda, where he clearly identified that he could run Nathan Brown ragged if he led up at the footy. Having that bigger/stronger/slower opponent seemed to spark that. And surprise surprise - it was his best match for the year and he kicked 5 goals.
    Whereas when they match up Stringer with a mid-sized opponent (think Rampe, Stratton etc) - he defaults to the (as you described) out the back/over the top sort of a bludger.
    If Essendon can get him to consistently lead at the ball carrier - he will again be a very good player, as he was in 2015.

In any case, it doesn't matter how good he becomes (or doesn't). The value we get is not only having Schache join the group - but also in ridding the culture of Stringer, who from what I have heard about the situation, had become bordering on untenable given that several of his former 'closest mates', weren't talking to him anymore - and the coaches had lost trust in his capacity to be professional enough.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought that too at the outset but as revelation after revelation came out about his attitude and habits it was hard to see where it wasn't going to affect his market value. I think in the end the need to rid the playing group of Stringer's influence overrode all other considerations and Essendon knew it and also knew they were the only suitor so they could lowball us.

But I will tell you this about Essendon. They might be riding high at the moment and I will admit that the circlejerk is spectacularly huge. They are at the top of their game. But they are just Cowboys. What have they actually acheived? Nothing. And they will still have acheived nothing when that crook appears from stage right and yanks them off centre stage. And then they will be dirty Essendon who wouldn't take their medicine for the drugs scandal because now we find out they have been fiddling the salary cap all this time as well? There will be hell to pay.

10. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So is it easier to convert fat into muscle (or even can you convert fat into muscle?) or take a lean frame and add muscle to it?

Post Thanks / Like

So is it easier to convert fat into muscle (or even can you convert fat into muscle?) or take a lean frame and add muscle to it?
    They are different types of tissue/cells

https://science.howstuffworks.com/li.../fat-cell2.htm.

https://health.howstuffworks.com/hum...tal/muscle.htm
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Which one do the chicks like?

14. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought that too at the outset but as revelation after revelation came out about his attitude and habits it was hard to see where it wasn't going to affect his market value. I think in the end the need to rid the playing group of Stringer's influence overrode all other considerations and Essendon knew it and also knew they were the only suitor so they could lowball us.

But I will tell you this about Essendon. They might be riding high at the moment and I will admit that the circlejerk is spectacularly huge. They are at the top of their game. But they are just Cowboys. What have they actually acheived? Nothing. And they will still have acheived nothing when that crook appears from stage right and yanks them off centre stage. And then they will be dirty Essendon who wouldn't take their medicine for the drugs scandal because now we find out they have been fiddling the salary cap all this time as well? There will be hell to pay.
    No worse again than Carlisle, plus Stringer had shown much more on the field. Even if I personally think he doesn't have much upside.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

No worse again than Carlisle, plus Stringer had shown much more on the field. Even if I personally think he doesn't have much upside.
    Was there a bidding war for Carlisle I don't remember. Anyway apart from being a dickhead in general Carlisle's only real stain was that film of him snorting coke? Stringer has been on a downward spiral and had a vindictive ex in the picture.

Anyway it's a moot point now really because Jmac has gone of to the plastics. It will be interesting to see how well he does when he negotiates with Essendon wearing his GWS polo shirt the first time.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure we can read that much into Stringer's physical conditioning based on one pic taken in mid-January. I'm much more concerned about the possibility of him finding an extra great and tearing us a new one.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for deleting all Stringer posts, no longer has our respect and won't in the future no matter what he does on field. Waste of woofer space Imo.

19. Thanks SonofScray thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Bulldog4life, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought that too at the outset but as revelation after revelation came out about his attitude and habits it was hard to see where it wasn't going to affect his market value.
    The problem was that there was no market, and hence we got a poor trade.

There are 9 other Vic clubs (assuming Stringer wanted to be near his kids) who could have been involved.

Imagine the salary offers to Stringer and probable good trade picks which would have come forward for the 2015 version of Stringer.

But what happened end season 2017?

Only one other club had mild interest which quickly evaporated.

Likewise, it has to be said, 9 other Vic clubs were not falling over themselves to get Shache either.

Time will tell on these two trades.*

*Dry Rot predictions:

Stringer won't be much different to what we've seen, particularly if he gets injured and ****s up his rehab.

Shache seems genuine to prove a point. He will be a revelation and be the next gut running Riewoldt CHF for us, and we will win the flag this year with his key contribution.

And Essendon can go **** themselves.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.