Thanks Thanks:  175
Likes Likes:  994
Page 101 of 179 FirstFirst ... 51919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 2680
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stringer Trade Worth

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    All I know for sure is Jake will kick bags of goals against us all the bloody time.

The thought got of him doing what he does best against us with his sh1t together really grabs my goat.
    Oh me too. Me too. It's gonna sting bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Mjp multiple Bulldogs have already said they'd be happy to have him back
    I don't think it's up to the players to say otherwise in the public. Of course he is a mate to a lot of them but there would also be some that would be happy if he goes.

We would all like to believe that if he stays someone will work some magic and in the end it will just be a bump while we are on the way to our next flag but having seen what happens when you have the likes of Hardie or Akermanis around a club when they aren't happy it's sometimes best to cut your losses and move the player on.

To me it comes down to if Bevo has the confidence in Jake and if Jake is happy to put it all behind him and work with the coach.
    If I had to guess at this moment I think the two of them are too far apart from what the other expects.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

A premiership soothes many ills, but should we end up just grabbing what we can in an effort to move on I think some pretty probing questions need to be asked about how we've managed a young, blue chip asset to find ourselves in the current predicament.

I'm not just referring to the last month - without absolving Jake of his responsibility as a well-paid professional - but everything that's lead us here.

Fine, we snuck a flag amidst it all, but taking a broader, more honest view, if we cannot extract fair value for him (which is looking more unlikely) it's been a failure.

I can fathom the club reaching pussy's bow with Jake, but we should've ensured we dispatched the grenade rather than allowing it go off in our face.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

I know this thread is focussing more on the actual trade but have we ever got to the bottom of why Stringers form has dropped so dramatically? I think it has a major impact on what we do with the trade.

I watched some of our 2016 games today and its hard to remember someones attack on the ball falling away so dramatically. Since 2015 he has avoided contact at all costs and I am just not sure why. At first I thought he must have been carrying an injury but its been two seasons now. The off field stuff certainly wouldn't impact his attack on the ball or courage. If he doesn't shake his inability to compete then two second round picks is a great deal. If he gets back to 2015 Stringer then we are getting smashed on this deal.

Did I just not notice him shirking contests in his first two seasons?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    I know this thread is focussing more on the actual trade but have we ever got to the bottom of why Stringers form has dropped so dramatically? I think it has a major impact on what we do with the trade.

I watched some of our 2016 games today and its hard to remember someones attack on the ball falling away so dramatically. Since 2015 he has avoided contact at all costs and I am just not sure why. At first I thought he must have been carrying an injury but its been two seasons now. The off field stuff certainly wouldn't impact his attack on the ball or courage. If he doesn't shake his inability to compete then two second round picks is a great deal. If he gets back to 2015 Stringer then we are getting smashed on this deal.

Did I just not notice him shirking contests in his first two seasons?
    I've never thought he was a physical player and his tackling efforts have always been a bit down except for that one with Higgins
    From memory I think the excuse was that he had issues with his back and shoulders but I agree his work rate has been down and along with it his form. I think he has some bad habits mainly around effort and perhaps thats one of the things we tried to address with him.

Could you imagine how good he could be if Clarko got a hold of him and got in fit and focused like he did with Lake?

Stringer needs to learn that if you aren't having a great game you can still make an impact by applying pressure on the opposition.
    He isn't even close to reaching his potential
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Stringer needs to learn that if you aren't having a great game you can still make an impact by applying pressure on the opposition.
    He isn't even close to reaching his potential
    Dickson is a prime example. If he is not kicking goals he is continually attacking.
    Stringer did carry that shoulder after May collected him but agree he does tend to avoid contact. When is the last time he sat in front of the pack to take a mark. He tends to wait for the crumbs
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't think it's up to the players to say otherwise in the public. Of course he is a mate to a lot of them but there would also be some that would be happy if he goes.

We would all like to believe that if he stays someone will work some magic and in the end it will just be a bump while we are on the way to our next flag but having seen what happens when you have the likes of Hardie or Akermanis around a club when they aren't happy it's sometimes best to cut your losses and move the player on.

To me it comes down to if Bevo has the confidence in Jake and if Jake is happy to put it all behind him and work with the coach.
    If I had to guess at this moment I think the two of them are too far apart from what the other expects.
    Gosh what on earth can Jake reasonably expect? You turn up or you are out. Thinks his poo smells of rose petals.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly don't know how to feel about the whole situation. I go from hoping he'll stay to wanting him out based on the things I've heard about him. I also want Essendon to miss out due to their arrogance over the last week. I'm just so sick of the 2017 season and off-season!

Post Thanks / Like

If Essendon persist early in the week with their lousy 25 and 30 offer for Jake we have to shut the door on them early. This would be daylight robbery if we buckled at this, with Dodoro laughing all the way to the bank capitalising on our misfortune.

Everyone is telling them that we will give in, that he can't go back, and that he's not worth a first rounder. I say rubbish to this. Dodoro won't like it but given that they've gambled away their pick 11, we must hold firm by raising the stakes on their 2018 first rounder as the absolute minimum.

If it falls through, hey conflict happens in any organisation. We can all be grown ups and turn this around.

Let's prove them ALL wrong again, just like we did in 2016.

And if we do want Schache, let's work on it without any reliance on what Dodoro might bring us.

Post Thanks / Like

Playing the mental health card? His Dad is going to get involved? Perpetuating unsubsantiated rumours?

This is getting uglier and uglier. The wolves are certainly at the door. It's going to be a long four days...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...eec5c570dc29c5

Jake Stringer could walk for nothing next year if Dogs don’t take Don’s deal

ESSENDON will call the bluff of Jake Stringer’s Western Bulldogs, adamant its deal of picks 25 and 30 for the mercurial star is its final offer.

Stringer’s management has made it clear over the weekend the 23-year-old will under no circumstances return to the Dogs.

The Stringer camp believes the Dogs have backflipped after list manager Jason McCartney said on Saturday he was welcome back.

In the meeting which paved the way for Stringer to explore his options the coach and officials made it clear his position was untenable.

His management believe the forward, who flies out for America on Monday, would be put in an unhealthy environment for his mental health to return.

It would put him back into the group of friends who the Dogs believed were troublesome, with Stringer still at odds with wife Abby and her friends among the Dogs players.

Stringer and his family both believe he could not face coach Luke Beveridge and play under him next year, having been pushed so quickly out the door.

Essendon’s offer of 25 and 30 is worth 1385 points under the values assigned to draft picks, almost identical to the value of this year’s pick 10 (1395 points).

The Dogs could have received pick 11 last week if they handed back pick 26, but as they stalled pick 11 went to GWS in the Devon Smith deal.

Stringer will not sit out of footy next year but could go into the 2018 pre-season draft after playing one more year, leaving the Dogs with no compensation.

His father will speak publicly at a PwC Australia trade-related breakfast today, expected to weigh in on his son’s situation.

The Stringer family is understood to believe only a fresh start will reinvigorate his career.

Essendon will clinch a deal for Adam Saad in coming days, almost certainly for a 2018 second-round pick.

JON RALPH ASSESSES WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN THE LAST FOUR DAYS OF TRADE PERIOD
    ■ JAKE STRINGER

Essendon has offered picks 25 and 30 and would like a late pick back for Jake Stringer, but the Dogs say they want more.

This deal could get messy given the emotions involved, but there is no way he can go back to a Dogs’ outfit which said he was uncoachable.

Post Thanks / Like

Getting Stringer's father involved is a mistake. Youd have thought that his management learned with the Trade Radio stunt but obviouslly not they because they are about to turn the stupidity dial up to eleven.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Getting Stringer's father involved is a mistake. Youd have thought that his management learned with the Trade Radio stunt but obviouslly not they because they are about to turn the stupidity dial up to eleven.
    There are a couple of senior guys at PWC that are doggies supporters. I went to a business breakfast there early in the year and they said they had the grandfinal running on loop for the whole year, in a special "chill out" area. I suspect they organised Stringers father as a guest speaker.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's time we go for one of Essendon's stars. Even if its not no chance but purley to rock the boat. Lets talk to Zac Merrett's management and throw big $$ offers and try to unsettle them. Let's get Zac to do what Griffen did to us and demand a trade. They (essendon) have really gotten into Jake's head and they have made sure his position is untenable with us. We need to play dirty to get the best outcome for us. We are the losing a AA and premiership player who is a match winner with X factor. Pay up or no deal. I'd rather he try and sit out the season and see how that works out for him than to trade him for peanuts. We can't have terms dictated to us by Essendon and Jake's management while we hold the aces that being he is a contracted player.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

14. Likes bornadog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another media hatchet job.

Some of my favourites:

The Stringer camp is still perpetuating the myth that he was blindsided by Luke Beveridge, despite mountains of evidence that his behaviour was off the charts for almost a year now.

Earnestly comparing picks 25 and 30 to pick 10. We are getting steamrolled by the footy media and we're firing nothing back. It's weird.

Playing the mental health card. Ask Tom Boyd what he thinks about that....

---

I'm really torn right now.

If he stays at the club by some miracle, there's a part of me that honestly hopes we just let him rot in the VFL all year.

I don't see how we get out of this with our dignity in tact.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

16. Likes chef, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Another media hatchet job.

Some of my favourites:

The Stringer camp is still perpetuating the myth that he was blindsided by Luke Beveridge, despite mountains of evidence that his behaviour was off the charts for almost a year now.

Earnestly comparing picks 25 and 30 to pick 10. We are getting steamrolled by the footy media and we're firing nothing back. It's weird.

Playing the mental health card. Ask Tom Boyd what he thinks about that....

---

I'm really torn right now.

If he stays at the club by some miracle, there's a part of me that honestly hopes we just let him rot in the VFL all year.

I don't see how we get out of this with our dignity in tact.
    Only by dealing with Geelong. The story changes to how Essendon blew their chance by being unreasonable.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023