Thanks Thanks:  175
Likes Likes:  994
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stringer Trade Worth

Not sure where the Las Vegas stories come from. JJ, Stringer, Suckling and Koby Stevens are all together in New York.

2. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes AndrewP6, dadsgirl16 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm glad that is all over. Jake has not been quite there for the past 2 seasons now and this year we have found out a lot more to what might be contributing to his form and why we have been frustrated with him. Essendon now can deal with him. I don't think his problems will go away.

I look now to 2018 and beyond to a bit of a fresh start for our club after a very disappointing 2017 premiership defence. Trengove, Crozier and Schache will hopefully add something we might have been missing before. Defensively will look a lot different next year with Bob and Matt retired and I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing Tom Boyd have an injury free season and be strong up forward. Big years for Tom Campbell and Jordan Roughead and also for our mids in Libba, Wallis, Hunter, Dahl.

I want to see that JJ spark again of half back in 2018 that we saw in 2016. Only saw glimpses in 2017 but not enough and was quite surprised he finished high in the best and fairest.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Probably like everyone else, I have gone through the seven stages of grieving but have just now come to the acceptance and hope (I think).

One key revelation I had in my own mind was that Jake really wasn't at his best when we were unbelievable over last years final series. He had some moments, a handful of great highlights, but for the most part he was quiet and well held. He was awful for most of the GF and we knocked off a red hot Sydney team who brought their A game.

There is every possibility that we are going to draft someone at 9 or 16 that is going to push the best 22 next year and in all likelihood will drift in and out of games, providing us with some highlights but being well held at other times as they adjust to senior footy. This will be exponentially less frustrating than a former AA playing the same way.

Also, did we just not become flush with KP options? Is this real life?

Kids, I think we are going to be alright.

PS I hate the nickname "The Package".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    What would you have done Sedat with only half an hour in trade period to go, no leverage and Carlton sitting pretty with no real reason to trade for parity?
    I'm actually really cool with the decision as per BT's rationale above. That 2nd round 2018 pick helped us secure Schache virtually for nothing whilst keeping Jong. It shits me that Essendon were the beneficiaries of the complex trade and continue to own the narrarive in the media, but our net result was outstanding considering we were holding a pair of twos in a hand of high stakes poker.

Speaking of the narrarive, how shit are the AFL summaries saying we lost a heap of mid range picks that we were never using? Too much to expect some basic research.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

6. Thanks Rocket Science thanked for this post
    Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad about how this has played out, but not so much about the end result. I am peeved that we've made EFC a better football team and grieving the loss of what I felt would be a Charlie to Bontempelli's EJ. Obviously he has issues and some demons to sort out and we weren't prepared to, or he wasn't prepared to confront them within our network. I'll stop short of wishing him ill, he is by far the most electrifying player I have seen in RW&B, but I can't wish him all the best either.

Stringer's behaviour, his slime ball manager and the circus that ensued served us up a dirty big turd. We've had a decent crack at polishing it and despite how the saying goes, looks like we might have made a good fist of it.

8. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I was pissed early this afternoon
    Fair enough. Only heavy drinking or drugs can make sense of the end of trade week.

When you sober up and read the reports, you'll realise you've lost your wallet and our second round pick from 2018.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

10. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Sad about how this has played out, but not so much about the end result. I am peeved that we've made EFC a better football team and grieving the loss of what I felt would be a Charlie to Bontempelli's EJ. Obviously he has issues and some demons to sort out and we weren't prepared to, or he wasn't prepared to confront them within our network. I'll stop short of wishing him ill, he is by far the most electrifying player I have seen in RW&B, but I can't wish him all the best either.

Stringer's behaviour, his slime ball manager and the circus that ensued served us up a dirty big turd. We've had a decent crack at polishing it and despite how the saying goes, looks like we might have made a good fist of it.
    Jury is still out on that one. Essendon are great at bringing themselves unstuck.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I'm actually really cool with the decision as per BT's rationale above. That 2nd round 2018 pick helped us secure Schache virtually for nothing whilst keeping Jong. It shits me that Essendon were the beneficiaries of the complex trade and continue to own the narrarive in the media, but our net result was outstanding considering we were holding a pair of twos in a hand of high stakes poker.

Speaking of the narrarive, how shit are the AFL summaries saying we lost a heap of mid range picks that we were never using? Too much to expect some basic research.
    They're also still spinning the fact we baulked at pick 11 as a "lost out" in trade summaries. Still eliminating the pick 26 coming back to essendon.

As it turns out we got:
    IN: Pick 16, Schache
    Out: Pick 28, Stringer

With the 'Pick 11' trade it would have been
    IN: Pick 11, ~45
    OUT: Pick 26, Stringer

The latter would not have allowed us to go after Schache with us having no second rounders. It actually could have allowed essendon to snap him up if rumours of their interest in him were true. Either that or we would have massively overpaid for Schache with pick 11. I'm happy with the outcome that actually eventuated so i'm not sure how turning down 'pick 11' is a loss for us.

Post Thanks / Like

So Essendon pick up a guy with issues we pick up a number two pick only two years ago at 25 and get pick 16 and we lost ?
    Journos never look at the full picture they only look at what suits them or their team.
    They do no deep investigation on things at all nowadays.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    So Essendon pick up a guy with issues we pick up a number two pick only two years ago at 25 and get pick 16 and we lost ?
    Journos never look at the full picture they only look at what suits them or their team.
    They do no deep investigation on things at all nowadays.
    Most of he journalists barracking for Essendon in this instance might regret what they wished for I reckon.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW ths is a terrific post from Fronkalicious on BF that pretty much sums things up I reckon;

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...khead.1180602/

Thanks to Dry Rot for the link.

16. Thanks anfo27, Sedat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Dickhead.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    BTW ths is a terrific post from Fronkalicious on BF that pretty much sums things up I reckon;

Great article , reading that it looks like he was borrowing money and not paying it back.
    If so it would turn sour and unworkable in the end.
    Bring back the biff

19. Likes LongWait liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

Ta. That might help explain the desperation for a new contract if nothing else.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

I normally don't read BF but DR sent me the link last night and I just thought "yep, nailed it"