Thanks Thanks:  175
Likes Likes:  994
Page 3 of 179 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stringer Trade Worth

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I didn't click and thought this would be the link. Also calming as long as I skip over a few key highlights.

I mean there are suggestions we'll get a late first round pick. The same as Jed Anderson, Jack Redden or Chris Yarran. I would be unable to accept such a decision.
    Just click the link mate, and not worry about it for a while.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon he'll stay. Here's why:

1. This is now VERY public that we "don't want him" at the dogs.
    2. We've said we won't just give him away.
    3. Telling everyone that we're so keen to get rid of him isn't going to get them to offer up a pick based on his potential (which is a very early pick... let's face it, he's already been All Australian and is in the top 15 goal kickers in the past 3 years, and half of that time he's been "down" on performance. His potential is huge). Teams will offer up discounted picks.
    4. We're now saying that it's not irreparable.

I think we won't get an offer we're willing to accept and we're just using this process as a kick up the arse for Jake and for the rest of the team. Hopefully he joins Libba back at pre-season 2 weeks early.

3. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's gone MrM. Best you get over it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    This is the thing I have trouble with. Stringer is by far a much more valuable player when on-song than Lever will ever be. He plays taller than he is, smaller than he is and can kick goals.

Lever fits into a system - albeit in a talented way - but essentially plays a much easier role than Jake does.

I get that people view Stringer as a key forward who should be dominating games, but he isn't. Instead he's a player who plays one of the hardest roles you can play in the game, in a team that moves the ball terribly a lot of the time - and when playing "poorly" kicks over 40 goals in a premiership season.

On a like for like basis Stringer is the more valuable commodity than just about any back to play the game. Perhaps the trade for Stringer is being diluted because the things our club knows about Stringer are known externally as well.
    I get that.
    Whenever I've said Stringer was a tall on here I've typically been reminded that he shouldn't be regarded as that. If he was a genuine tall forward he would be worth more.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I get that.
    Whenever I've said Stringer was a tall on here I've typically been reminded that he shouldn't be regarded as that. If he was a genuine tall forward he would be worth more.
    He's not your typical mudium forward either.

Gary Ablett wasn't a tall. If Geelong had traded him under the same circumstances as we are trading Stringer (and I'm now no longer convinced he's gone after reading Bevo's statement, that's an easy statement to walk back on. Bevo could have said it much differently. He chose those words carefully) they would have got the earth.

Stringer is worth one, if not two first round draft picks. If we don't get what we want Jake will play for us next year.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Pies won't be interested in Stringer now.
    Why?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

So now that its in the open lets sort this mess out!

There a few side and longer terms games at play here.
    As others have eluded, next years draft, we will need picks for our F/S. so lets look at building for that draft.

To me that means Letting Jake stay and him going under free agency next year, keeping our draft intact next year, OR alternatively swapping for picks next year, I'm certain a team like Carlton, who lets be honest have one of the most dismal forward lines in the land are crying out for a Jake, they will throw up their 1st rounder from next year as well as a combo of 2nd rounder swaps

That leaves us in the hole this year, and makes keeping Crameri a great option, He's pretty much the same player as Jake in terms of final output, out net gain/loss is minimal from an on field perspective.

It does however give us a massive salary cap advantage! lets hope we can exploit that at some stage!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He's gone MrM. Best you get over it.
    Not necessarily J. Where we are at right now we don't want him, but things can change and Bevo is very flexible emotionally. Jake needs to fall in on himself and completely sort out his act, and fast. It depends on how much he wants to be at the club.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    So now that its in the open lets sort this mess out!

There a few side and longer terms games at play here.
    As others have eluded, next years draft, we will need picks for our F/S. so lets look at building for that draft.

To me that means Letting Jake stay and him going under free agency next year, keeping our draft intact next year, OR alternatively swapping for picks next year, I'm certain a team like Carlton, who lets be honest have one of the most dismal forward lines in the land are crying out for a Jake, they will throw up their 1st rounder from next year as well as a combo of 2nd rounder swaps

That leaves us in the hole this year, and makes keeping Crameri a great option, He's pretty much the same player as Jake in terms of final output, out net gain/loss is minimal from an on field perspective.

It does however give us a massive salary cap advantage! lets hope we can exploit that at some stage!
    I've heard this a few times but Jake is not eligible for free agency next year. Out of contract yes but NOT a free agent.

11. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    I've heard this a few times but Jake is not eligible for free agency next year. Out of contract yes but NOT a free agent.
    Same outcome in terms of if he wants to go to his destination of choice in that he will need to do a talk with the club or end up in the PSD (and end up in Brisbane/GC)

13. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Why?
    I think DR is making the link that M.Boyd will provide more information that might put the Pies off
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I reckon he'll stay. Here's why:

1. This is now VERY public that we "don't want him" at the dogs.
    2. We've said we won't just give him away.
    3. Telling everyone that we're so keen to get rid of him isn't going to get them to offer up a pick based on his potential (which is a very early pick... let's face it, he's already been All Australian and is in the top 15 goal kickers in the past 3 years, and half of that time he's been "down" on performance. His potential is huge). Teams will offer up discounted picks.
    4. We're now saying that it's not irreparable.

I think we won't get an offer we're willing to accept and we're just using this process as a kick up the arse for Jake and for the rest of the team. Hopefully he joins Libba back at pre-season 2 weeks early.
    Yes this could all be a master manipulation by Bevo to get the best out of Jake. To scare the bejesus out of him. We can only hope.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    He's not your typical mudium forward either.

Gary Ablett wasn't a tall. If Geelong had traded him under the same circumstances as we are trading Stringer (and I'm now no longer convinced he's gone after reading Bevo's statement, that's an easy statement to walk back on. Bevo could have said it much differently. He chose those words carefully) they would have got the earth.

Stringer is worth one, if not two first round draft picks. If we don't get what we want Jake will play for us next year.
    Did the Hawks get much for Gaz Snr?

Seems a similar issue - superstar with significant problems, Geelong won the trade and the Hawks won a stack of flags. I know which club I'd rather emulate.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    Same outcome in terms of if he wants to go to his destination of choice in that he will need to do a talk with the club or end up in the PSD (and end up in Brisbane/GC)
    That rarely happens. Out of contract players get traded to their club of choice, generally with a minimum of fuss and the existing team getting bent over.

The time to trade a player is when they are under contract, especially when there are suitors with money to throw around for trade targets.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Did the Hawks get much for Gaz Snr?

Seems a similar issue - superstar with significant problems, Geelong won the trade and the Hawks won a stack of flags. I know which club I'd rather emulate.
    Was Gaz Snr an AA player at Hawthorn?

My memory tells me had only played a handful of games and hadn't done a lot.