Thanks Thanks:  175
Likes Likes:  994
Page 33 of 179 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435363738394041424383133 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stringer Trade Worth

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Does anyone have some suggestions on what might be a doable trade with the Cats?
    They have literally one player worth as much as Stringer, and they just traded him in. Selwood & Hawkins are too old. They would have to find a club willing to upgrade their first rounder for a couple of players e.g. 20, Menzel & Blicavs to St Kilda for 8
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Geelong aren't rebuilding , so you'd assume it won't be an early pick again next season .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Whilst I see the value in trading for a Geelong first rounder in the following year's draft and throwing in a sweetener this year, it'ss going to be a hard sell for the broader Bulldog supporter base to swallow without going rabid.
    But we might have to suck it up and look at the future. In 12 months we've gone from a position of strength with a playing list to one with a quite a few holes in it so that's most likely not a quick fix. Agree that it will take a bit of spin to sell this to possibly an impatient fan base but we may have to play a longer game. Potentially having 2 x 1st round picks in what is regarded as a super-draft is a far easier sell in another 12 months.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Geelong aren't rebuilding , so you'd assume it won't be an early pick again next season .
    They could slip back though and it's a stronger draft. We would need something to sweeten the offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    They could slip back though and it's a stronger draft. We would need something to sweeten the offer.
    Way too big a risk on accepting their 1st next year on a hope that they 'might slip'. They don't and the addition of Ablett and Stringer nets them another top 4 finish...and we get a pick in the range of 15-18.
    That doesn't sit well.
    Last edited by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot; 26-09-2017 at 08:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Way to big a risk on accepting their 1st next year on a hope that they 'might slip'. They don't and the addition of Ablett and Stringer nets them another top 4 finish...and we get a pick in the range of 15-18.
    That doesn't sit well.
    I don't think they'll slip either , and recruiting Ablett at 34 shows they still think they're in the window .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I don't think they'll slip either , and recruiting Ablett at 34 shows they still think they're in the window .
    Yep. It would be just a gamble. If Jake is going then we need something tangible in return, if not commensurate in value then at least not a pure gamble.
    I know Gary was indicating Geelong would need to throw something else in, but to be honest I'm not sure any 'sweetener' would not wind up tasting bitter should Geelong's 2018 1st round pick end up pick 15-18. Strong draft or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. It would be just a gamble. If Jake is going then we need something tangible in return, if not commensurate in value then at least not a pure gamble.
    I know Gary was indicating Geelong would need to throw something else in, but to be honest I'm not sure any 'sweetener' would not wind up tasting bitter should Geelong's 2018 1st round pick end up pick 15-18. Strong draft or not.
    Handing Hawthorn 3 premierships, a Brian a Norm Smith, I'm not inclined to give another team a chance at a flag or three.

I'm ok with factoring in their pick as 16 next year, in taking on the risk (if it's 18 ah well, if it's 10 it's our bonus). So that would leave them well short, unless they give us a player that we really, really want. That's assuming they can future trade a first rounder again.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Handing Hawthorn 3 premierships, a Brian a Norm Smith, I'm not inclined to give another team a chance at a flag or three.

I'm ok with factoring in their pick as 16 next year, in taking on the risk (if it's 18 ah well, if it's 10 it's our bonus). So that would leave them well short, unless they give us a player that we really, really want. That's assuming they can future trade a first rounder again.
    And that's what I mean. The only way next year's 1st round pick works for me is if its secondary..and i don't think Geelong are wanting to part with something that equates to what we'd want in that regard.
    They're more likely to float someone like a Lang or Parfitt...thanks....forget it...

Post Thanks / Like

So he's met with Essendon, and Landsberger is reporting that 11 alone won't get it done, which warms my heart.

I'd think long and hard about 11 and Francis, but I can't tell if he's truly had a bad run with injuries or he's just an unfit fat dude who won't shape up.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

11. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And that's what I mean. The only way next year's 1st round pick works for me is if its secondary..and i don't think Geelong are wanting to part with something that equates to what we'd want in that regard.
    They're more likely to float someone like a Lang or Parfitt...thanks....forget it...
    That's the hard part. They've been on trading and may not be able to. Their list is horrible for talent they can trade with. I've said Cockatoo is about the only one I'd support us going after, but he needs a thorough medical with those hamstrings of his. They're in not position to trade for Jake Stringer. The best thing the footy media to do us admit that, and then work out which clubs might be able to actually do a deal.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    So he's met with Essendon, and Landsberger is reporting that 11 alone won't get it done, which warms my heart.

I'd think long and hard about 11 and Francis, but I can't tell if he's truly had a bad run with injuries or he's just an unfit fat dude who won't shape up.
    Like. I honestly thought he was just a fat VFL top up. I couldn't believe that was Francis of drafting fame. We need some run or forward picket type, maybe Fantasia as the extra scoop?

Post Thanks / Like

Unfit fat dude.

I wonder if we could get Stewart?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Jordan Ridley drafted last year by Essendon just after Tim Eniglish (22) sounds a Bevo type:

A tall runner from the Oakleigh Chargers who is versatile enough to play in almost any position and can be moved around the field seemingly without any disruption to his play. Highly skilled, he won the kicking test at the NAB AFL Draft Combine, after averaging 19 disposals in the TAC Cup.

Former AFL recruiter Gary Buckenara says:

Ridley will be of interest to clubs because he’s a flexible prospect. At 192cm he can play in a number of positions whether it be down back, up forward or in the midfield, but probably plays his best footy as a defender. He’s a hard worker.

Oakleigh Chargers Talent Manager Craig Notman told Inside Football:

He has a great set of hands and is a real confidence player, a terrific character and a hard worker. He will get the best out of himself wherever he plays. Playing down back actually freed him up a bit and showed he has some gears. He went inside a couple of times and was effective so he could turn into that bigger bodied mid.

Post Thanks / Like

Essendon believe 11 is too much, and want something coming back the other way
    We want more than pick 11.

17. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post