Thanks Thanks:  175
Likes Likes:  994
Page 39 of 179 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647484989139 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stringer Trade Worth

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Its not that simple though. Lets say Stringer stays. He has an amazing year, fulfils his potential and wins a Brownlow. He then refuses to sign a new deal next year and walks for zero compensation to Essendon - who is laughing at this point?

Whilst the club has some negotiating power this year, next year it has none. With the crap that has gone on re Stringer and his relationship with the club do you honestly see him signing a new deal?

We have to trade him this year and that means we will get unders.
    If he had an amazing year and won the Brownlow that would mean he was very happy at the club and Bevo and him had patched up extremely well .. I could assure you if that happened he would stay , in all that's happened he has always says he loves the club.
    I understand what your getting at and I guess it's up to the club to make the decision in the end and we have to trust the judgement.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Its not that simple though. Lets say Stringer stays. He has an amazing year, fulfils his potential and wins a Brownlow. He then refuses to sign a new deal next year and walks for zero compensation to Essendon - who is laughing at this point?

Whilst the club has some negotiating power this year, next year it has none. With the crap that has gone on re Stringer and his relationship with the club do you honestly see him signing a new deal?

He won't walk for nothing though. They have to deal with us if they want to avoid him going in the draft and ending up somewhere like North or Brisbane or Carlton (or whoever is at the bottom of the ladder). He won't be a free agent so the options are either trade or draft. Drafting would be a huge gamble if he's doing that well so trading will be the only reasonable option

Post Thanks / Like

Are you thinking the Bosman rule applies? Stringer still has to be cleared by us next season if he wants to go whether he has a current contract with us or not. Stringer gets a bit more freedom to nominate when he is uncontracted but the club he goes to still has to swap something for him.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this is good or bad for us.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-2...-another-dusty
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Not sure if this is good or bad for us.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-2...-another-dusty
    Barrett: Stringer is the next Dusty

Also Barrett: Stringer is worth a pick in the 20s

He's just a troll, nothing more.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

6. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's time to mix things up and change the narrative. The club should announce Stringer is off the trade table. If Essendon, Geelong or North really want him this year, they can chase us hard to convince us to trade him. The narrative needs to change and the we need to fire the first shot and really highlight our position.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes bornadog, azabob, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Barrett: Stringer is the next Dusty

Also Barrett: Stringer is worth a pick in the 20s

He's just a troll, nothing more.
    Agreed but the media do have influence in peoples thought processes, even him.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    It's time to mix things up and change the narrative. The club should announce Stringer is off the trade table. If Essendon, Geelong or North really want him this year, they can chase us hard to convince us to trade him. The narrative needs to change and the we need to fire the first shot and really highlight our position.

No. We need to stick to our course and not play games,
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

11. Likes The Doctor, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Twodogs, we say nothing until next week until trade week starts. Basically we keep our powder dry until Stringer nominates a club. If that ends up being Essendon we put them on the clock because as known and repeated time wasters during trade periods we can't let them dictate our agenda.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair I don't think I've heard a person from other teams recruiters and list managers on what he's worth. All I hear is rubbish from the likes of wankers like Barrett or McClure

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    To be fair I don't think I've heard a person from other teams recruiters and list managers on what he's worth. All I hear is rubbish from the likes of wankers like Barrett or McClure
    I agree , absolutely nothing has come out from other clubs except the old line we look at all players and Stringer is one we will look at.
    I believe the Hawks and Collingwood are the only teams that have come out and said they aren't looking at him.
    No offers or even what we want have been mentioned by the clubs involved, it's all been media opinion.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    No. We need to stick to our course and not play games,
    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I agree with Twodogs, we say nothing until next week until trade week starts. Basically we keep our powder dry until Stringer nominates a club. If that ends up being Essendon we put them on the clock because as known and repeated time wasters during trade periods we can't let them dictate our agenda.
    It's to an extent, trading is gamesmanship and different strategies. The market is framed as us being sellers, and it being a buyers market. But we can just say simply the behind the scenes offers are not indicative of pursuing this further, and Jake indicates a preparedness to knuckle down and be a gun player. We become buyers of first rounders, in a buyers market. It's not good, or bad to my mind. It's just a different strategy, a strategy in which we are in full control. But we will see what happens.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Barrett compared Stringer to Martin. If you read this and note Martin's devotion to training from a young age (except for a few incidents), you'll see that they are worlds apart

http://www.smh.com.au/good-weekend/b...19-gykkxa.html

Dusty decided at a young age that he was going to be an AFL footballer, which is not so unusual, and mapped out a program for himself, which is. At draft camp, where likely recruits are inspected and compared like houses or cars, he showed himself to be quick, a thumping kick and – surprise, surprise – accomplished at breaking tackles. "I reckon I was born to play AFL," he said at the time....

You cannot compile a record like that on talent and wits alone. He's a seriously good footballer who is serious about his footy. He is strict on himself about recovery and diet, honouring his boyhood manifesto. He took cooking lessons paid for by the club, practises mindfulness and does extra training at Leo Berry's boxing gym, a Richmond institution. In other words, he leaves no stone unturned. In Dusty can be discerned the overtones of a well-known footy trope, the star who works hard but likes to present as blasé.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Martin and Stringer so different.

Martin''s issues mainly were off field/criminal type connections. Had a pre-season where he slackened off but I think that came with associated troubles. He seems to actually really love the game and not mind physical training. Footy seems like it has always been a release to him, something he is passionate about.

Stringer is more of an immature guy than the stuff Dusty got into. I see him a man-child. He doesn't seem to really love footy (that's fine) but even more so really hate the gym.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Martin and Stringer so different.

Martin''s issues mainly were off field/criminal type connections. Had a pre-season where he slackened off but I think that came with associated troubles. He seems to actually really love the game and not mind physical training. Footy seems like it has always been a release to him, something he is passionate about.

Stringer is more of an immature guy than the stuff Dusty got into. I see him a man-child. He doesn't seem to really love footy (that's fine) but even more so really hate the gym.
    If you read Dusty's story, he left school early and his old man made him work hard from 6am to 6pm - he is not afraid of working hard.

Same as Libba, he may joke around and have a laugh, but he trains his guts out.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.