Thanks Thanks:  175
Likes Likes:  994
Page 75 of 179 FirstFirst ... 25656667686970717273747576777879808182838485125175 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 2680
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stringer Trade Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We did do it with Crameri. We made our offer early in the piece, took Essendon until the final hours to accept it.

They wanted us to downgrade pick 4 (Bontempelli)!
    We should have made him walk. We had far greater bargaining power at our disposal than we ever bothered to use there.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Geelong saying they couldn't make a deal on Jake, in their circumstances.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    We should have made him walk. We had far greater bargaining power at our disposal than we ever bothered to use there.
    Are you suggesting we should have left Crameri to go to the PSD (we didn't have an active pick, mind you so would have had to have not drafted HC to secure one), and that what we paid wasn't a fair price (26 for the leading goal kicker of another club)? Interesting strategy, unless of course you think EFC would have taken 42 after asking for pick 4?

The Lake deal could have been drawn out, but what's often forgotten is that we were desperate to get rid of him and Hawthorn didn't have a whole lot of value to trade with. I don't think holding off would have altered the result, perhaps it might have.

Back on to Stringer, Geelong not being able to make a deal in their circumstances suggests we're playing hard. Connors opening up the option for other clubs aside from EFC and Geelong tells me he's panicking that he won't get a deal done - if his petulant outbursts from yesterday weren't enough.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Are you suggesting we should have left Crameri to go to the PSD (we didn't have an active pick, mind you so would have had to have not drafted HC to secure one), and that what we paid wasn't a fair price (26 for the leading goal kicker of another club)? Interesting strategy, unless of course you think EFC would have taken 42 after asking for pick 4?

The Lake deal could have been drawn out, but what's often forgotten is that we were desperate to get rid of him and Hawthorn didn't have a whole lot of value to trade with. I don't think holding off would have altered the result, perhaps it might have.
    100% what we should have done with Crameri. Although I really feel that we overrated him as a commodity at the time and I wasn't too perturbed if we ended up with him or not.

There is no way that we should have given up Lake for a downgrade that small, and DEFINITELY not on the first day of the trade week. Hawks did have the value in pick 21, and I understand that 21 alone would probably have been overpaying at the time, but it's a hard sell to say we couldn't have extracted more value seeing as we appear not to have even tried.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    "All of a sudden clubs are wanting to publically put our players and any player on the market, and then go, ‘Hang on we actually want pick 10 for this player, or pick 20’ … there’s a caveat on it."

We can thank his manager for pouring fire on that. He's only enabling the Dodos of the world.
    All of a sudden players are publicly stating that they want to go home and then they go "Hang on I actually only want to go to Melbourne, or Essendon....there's a caveat on it"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Agree on Crameri, fair price paid, right option.

Disagree on Lake. They might not have had much to give but they did have their first round pick which was a fairer price than a pick swap.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree @jeemak. Were we not positive Crameri had a chance to escape suspension at the time? Also, he's had injuries and that's not our fault. The payoff makes one feel a bit sour in hindsight, but the decision seems sound.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Agree @jeemak. Were we not positive Crameri had a chance to escape suspension at the time? Also, he's had injuries and that's not our fault. The payoff makes one feel a bit sour in hindsight, but the decision seems sound.
    We were positive but he ignored our advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    I can't get over this narrative that Stringer has been 'pushed out' and now the Bulldogs just have to suck up whatever they can get!

That was never the situation. He was put on the table, IF the right deal could be done, and that's been the case from day one. All this sanctimonious pontification is really annoying me.

(and yes, auto correct, pontification is a real word)
    It's a game. Connors knows that Jake is worth a top 10 draft pick. Problem is no one in the top 10 wants/can to part with said pick so the only way Jake can move is if someone blinks. All the stuff being said is fluff.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems Essendon's fanciful expectation of getting Stringer, Saad & Smith with 11 is unfolding: afl.com.au

Essendon risks losing its grip on Devon Smith as it juggles three difficult trades, with rival clubs believing they are still the race for the 24-year-old.

Essendon is trying to land Jake Stringer, Adam Saad and Smith before next Thursday's 2pm AEDT deadline, with its pick No.11 the centerpiece of negotiations.

But the Bombers baulked at an offer to trade their pick No.11 for Smith and the Giants' pick No.23.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Pick 19 for Rockliff? He's a good player, but geez.

That makes Stringer top 5. Bloody hell.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

What was compensation for Trengove?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    What was compensation for Trengove?
    Pick 30. Or it was.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Pick 30. Or it was.
    It would have been higher if the original 600k/4 year deal originally talked about for Terngove (Im gonna have some fun with that surname over the next couple of years) had been right.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

15. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Age has reported Essendon have proposed to us Stringer and 26 for 11 and 46

We are reportedly reluctant to give up anything else than Stringer

Dons then use 26 and their current 2nd rounder (28) to get other deals done for Saad and Smith