Thanks Thanks:  175
Likes Likes:  994
Page 8 of 179 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stringer Trade Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Giansiraccuser View Post
    I'd be happy with Pick 11. Seems right to me.
    A 6 pick downgrade on a 23 year old bloke, who is all Australian and not even close to his peak is crap. He is a top 10 pick minimum and we would be dumb to let him go for less

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    A 6 pick downgrade on a 23 year old bloke, who is all Australian and not even close to his peak is crap. He is a top 10 pick minimum and we would be dumb to let him go for less

Yep. We should be wanting a pick to compensate for Stringer. A pick that gives us the opportunity to pick a player who can be AA, a 50 goal a season player, club leading goal kicker for the last 3 years and have game winning moments during form slumps. Or Stringer stays.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

3. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In theory would you trade Stringer and our 1st for GC Lynch?

I might.

Post Thanks / Like

Blimey , where do I sign ?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep no problems with that at all.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yep. We should be wanting a pick to compensate for Stringer. A pick that gives us the opportunity to pick a player who can be AA, a 50 goal a season player, club leading goal kicker for the last 3 years and have game winning moments during form slumps. Or Stringer stays.
    Stringer not passing the dickhead test indirectly relegates him to a late first rounder. That's the mail.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Stringer not passing the dickhead test indirectly relegates him to a late first rounder. That's the mail.

Then we should retain him. A late first rounder doesn't come close to compensating us adequately.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Jake was a pick 5. That year Jack Martin & Jesse Hogan were taken in the mini-draft thing they used to do. (I think they were a year younger?)

The 4 before him:
    - Lachie Whitfield (GWS) 0 All Australians, 1 suspension for illicit drugs taking.
    - Jonathon O'Rourke (Drafted by GWS, now at Hawthorn) 0 games in 2017 when the Hawks were sh11te
    - Lachie Plowman (Drafted by GWS, now at Carlton) Permanent player in the powerhouse Carlton team
    - Jimmy Toumpass (Drafted by GWS, now at Port) Cranked out a huge 2 games for Port in 2017.

Seriously, we're idiots if we think we'll get adequate compensation for Jake. If we want a gun footballer then we're much more likely to turn him into what we want as a team player, than we are to find the right talent in the draft. He only went number 5 because he snapped his leg the year before the draft. He's better than Whitfield. He's the best in that draft.

We shouldn't trade him. Talk of "pick 11 might be OK" is a joke. We'll get another handy footballer at best if we do that. I don't care about all the "Caleb Daniel was pick 45". He's a very good footballer. He's not a match winner. Jake is.

We dead set need to keep him and everyone who says "he's not training hard enough blah blah" is caught up in some make believe reality that footballers are robots and that just because they're paid well they should be puppets. It's not true.

We don't need a list full of obedient little puppies, we need a list full of talented footballers. And we need 3-5 superstars. We're about to give a superstar away, leaving us with 1...

Post Thanks / Like

Jake hasn't played close to superstar level for well over a year now. It's debatable that he ever has

Post Thanks / Like

I'd take Lang and 2018 first rounder from Geelong.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    What he was worth when we drafted him and what he's worth now might have changed. WE should hold out for a good deal but pick 11 is around the mark and trading a player for picks with other teams isn't an exact science.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Seriously, we're idiots if we think we'll get adequate compensation for Jake. If we want a gun footballer then we're much more likely to turn him into what we want as a team player, than we are to find the right talent in the draft. He only went number 5 because he snapped his leg the year before the draft. He's better than Whitfield. He's the best in that draft.

We shouldn't trade him. Talk of "pick 11 might be OK" is a joke. We'll get another handy footballer at best if we do that. I don't care about all the "Caleb Daniel was pick 45". He's a very good footballer. He's not a match winner. Jake is.

We dead set need to keep him and everyone who says "he's not training hard enough blah blah" is caught up in some make believe reality that footballers are robots and that just because they're paid well they should be puppets. It's not true.

We don't need a list full of obedient little puppies, we need a list full of talented footballers. And we need 3-5 superstars. We're about to give a superstar away, leaving us with 1...
    Team sports cannot keep players just because they are very talented. If they are a disrupter to the ethic that the coach expects from the whole playing group then the club needs to take action.

You're saying Stinger is a superstar but you're basing that more on potential than demonstrated results because his last 2 seasons have been average at best. He has under delivered on his potential and ability and while he looked great in 2015 that's now a while ago in footy terms.

I don't think anyone wants to lose Stringer but he does need to convince the club he's worth sticking with.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

14. Likes 1eyedog, Bulldog4life, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In simple terms all players must adhere to team rules. That is it in a nutshell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't think anyone wants to lose Stringer but he does need to convince the club he's worth sticking with.
    This is the key, but how does he convince the club? How do we know he will do what is expected of him?

Maybe he needs to put his money where his mouth is and sign an addendum to his contract that includes a penalty in dollars if he stuffs up. The addendum could also include a bonus if he exceeds what he should be doing.

Either way, is the club taking a risk?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This is the key, but how does he convince the club? How do we know he will do what is expected of him?

Maybe he needs to put his money where his mouth is and sign an addendum to his contract that includes a penalty in dollars if he stuffs up. The addendum could also include a bonus if he exceeds what he is should be doing.

Either way, is the club taking a risk?
    I heard a report other clubs might insist on this.