Thanks Thanks:  175
Likes Likes:  994
Page 9 of 179 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stringer Trade Worth

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Jake was a pick 5. That year Jack Martin & Jesse Hogan were taken in the mini-draft thing they used to do. (I think they were a year younger?)

The 4 before him:
    - Lachie Whitfield (GWS) 0 All Australians, 1 suspension for illicit drugs taking.
    - Jonathon O'Rourke (Drafted by GWS, now at Hawthorn) 0 games in 2017 when the Hawks were sh11te
    - Lachie Plowman (Drafted by GWS, now at Carlton) Permanent player in the powerhouse Carlton team
    - Jimmy Toumpass (Drafted by GWS, now at Port) Cranked out a huge 2 games for Port in 2017.

Seriously, we're idiots if we think we'll get adequate compensation for Jake. If we want a gun footballer then we're much more likely to turn him into what we want as a team player, than we are to find the right talent in the draft. He only went number 5 because he snapped his leg the year before the draft. He's better than Whitfield. He's the best in that draft.

We shouldn't trade him. Talk of "pick 11 might be OK" is a joke. We'll get another handy footballer at best if we do that. I don't care about all the "Caleb Daniel was pick 45". He's a very good footballer. He's not a match winner. Jake is.

We dead set need to keep him and everyone who says "he's not training hard enough blah blah" is caught up in some make believe reality that footballers are robots and that just because they're paid well they should be puppets. It's not true.

We don't need a list full of obedient little puppies, we need a list full of talented footballers. And we need 3-5 superstars. We're about to give a superstar away, leaving us with 1...

I get what you mean nobody wants to lose a player like Jake. I've got two kids and I love this footy club almost as much as I love them. But, if my son was drafted by the Bulldogs right now I'd be suggesting he looks for another sport to play, there would be no way I'd be keen on him spending almost all his time being indoctrinated by the behaviour some of the players we have on our list at the moment are indulging themselves in.

If I'm thinking that then this situation almost went out of control.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I get what you mean nobody wants to lose a player like Jake. I've got two kids and I love this footy club almost as much as I love them. But, if my son was drafted by the Bulldogs right now I'd be suggesting he looks for another sport to play, there would be no way I'd be keen on him spending almost all his time being indoctrinated by the behaviour some of the players we have on our list at the moment are indulging themselves in.

You must know more than me then. I'm basing my thoughts on the fact that he's sloppy with punctuality and preparation.

Post Thanks / Like

But, if my son was drafted by the Bulldogs right now I'd be suggesting he looks for another sport to play, there would be no way I'd be keen on him spending almost all his time being indoctrinated by the behaviour some of the players we have on our list at the moment are indulging themselves in.
    Wow twodogs, it obviously goes way deeper than just one player slacking off. Not good to hear.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

It's one group within our club. All clubs have them. Thing is, our group involves a few who are really good at footy.

We also have citizens like Wood and Bont.

What I find worse than a 'party culture' is a bully one (in terms of if I was a dad to a player!).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    You must know more than me then. I'm basing my thoughts on the fact that he's sloppy with punctuality and preparation.
    There's plenty to suggest it's more than that. The AFL fraternity talks around or alludes to more significant issues with Stringer, much like how they did with some at Hawthorn in 2009. Choose what you want to believe, be prepared to be surprised!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a read a lot about all this which seems to take 2 sides (with often no knowledge of what has happened):

1) Stringer is slack etc, had many chances, better he be gone; OR

2) Bev is unreasonable treating a once in a generation player like this, we should have done more, we should do more and hang onto him etc.

What I haven't seen much is a discussion of the context of all this: Something(s) went badly wrong with our team in season 2017. Like an episode of Aircrash Investigations, it is usually many things that bring the plane down, and probably no area of the club, coaches and players etc, is immune from criticism.

But what we do know is that many players returned from a short pre-season in less than ideal condition. I suspect one area of focus will be a really hard pre season, one for all the players not just all the players bar Stringer.

This is one pre-season in which Bev cannot tolerate a slacker and have seperate rules for him.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/col...13e52e5875f798

Collingwood could join trade race for embattled Bulldogs forward Jake Stringer, says Adam Cooney

BROWNLOW Medallist Adam Cooney expects Collingwood to enter the trade race for embattled forward Jake Stringer, whose relationship with the Western Bulldogs and coach Luke Beveridge became “almost untenable”.

Stringer, who has kicked 122 goals from his past three seasons, has already attracted interest from both Essendon and Geelong, with Cooney revealing that Bombers coach John Worsfold had spoken to Stringer “throughout the week”.

But Cooney predicted that the Magpies would also make a play for Stringer after champion Bulldog and former teammate Matthew Boyd joined the Pies’ coaching panel.

“Matty Boyd has just signed at Collingwood as a development coach — I think he’ll be in his ear over the next week or so to sit down and have a chat with Nathan Buckley at Collingwood,” Cooney told AFL Nation.

But Cooney added that “it certainly wasn’t (Stringer’s) idea to be traded” in the first place.

Bulldogs coach Beveridge this week publicly stated that his club would look to trade Stringer during the upcoming AFL trade period — a stance that “surprised, almost shocked” Cooney.

“Now every club in the land knows that they’re desperate to get rid of him and the relationship is almost untenable between coach and player. Not everyone at the Bulldogs wants to trade Jake Stringer, but the coach doesn’t like him,” Cooney said.

Stringer’s falling out with Beveridge and the club came to a head during the former’s “open and honest” exit meeting, according to Cooney, where Stringer was pulled up on several flaws.

However Cooney, who spoke with Stringer during the week, denied reports that Stringer “stormed out” of his discussion with Beveridge.

“It was an open and honest discussion, he walked out of it, he wasn’t annoyed, he wasn’t angry, they had a pretty good discussion about where they were at together … he’s accepted that he needs to move to another club,” Cooney said.

The former Bulldog and Don added: “His main problem is that his coach thought he was lazy, he wasn’t working hard enough — and you can see that on the field, he needs to work harder — and his approach to training is not professional enough. And he’s been told this four, five, six times.”

Stringer, taken by the Dogs with Pick 5 in the 2012 draft, has only played 89 games for the Bulldogs, but won All-Australian selection in 2015 at only 21 then played in the club’s memorable premiership the year after.

Cooney said Stringer still had ample to give another AFL club — and that his recent falling out could come back to haunt the Bulldogs.

“He could be anything as a player — we’ve seen how good he can be as a player,” Cooney said.

“Eventually he’ll sort himself out. He’ll sort his life out, he’ll work hard, he’ll get his diet right, he’ll become a super player year in two or three years’ time.

“Unfortunately for the Bulldogs it could come back to bit them.”

Bad luck for us that Stringer and Cooney are tight.

8. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So according to his close mate, he's not eating right, not drinking right, not training right, not playing right, not carrying himself right, is lazy, isn't sorted out personally and is not professional. He's been told 6 times and still nothing has changed from Jake...

That he should have a 7th request to actually earn his huge money and respect his club and mates. And that obviously all players on the list would, would they?

He can become a super player in two or three years time... That long? On what he's 24th request. How many players will be delisted for less in that period.

Cooney making a case to trade him. Or trying to drive Stringers value down so he can pick a club to go to.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So he's not eating right, drinking right, training right, playing right, carrying himself right, is lazy, isn't sorted out personally and is not professional. He's been told 6 times and still nothing has changed.

That he should have a 7th request... And that obviously all players on the list would, would they?

He can become a super player in two or three years time... That long? On what he's 24th request.

Cooney making a case to trade him.
    Agree but Cooney was wrong saying the situation is untenable. He might like to think it is but very few things are in the Afl. But it needs for Stringer to show Luke something positive and that he will change and he has been in the wrong. Waking up to himself. Not whinge to Cooney and say the coach doesn't like him. Or is it just Cooney assuming?

Post Thanks / Like

The more opposition list managers chew over the fact that Stringer is on the trade table the more Victorian clubs will be slavering at the bit to get him. I'm hoping someone jumps of the cliff and offers up somewhere between 4-6 for him or a late first rounder and a very good player. Stringer is the type of player that may have them falling over each other to get him to their club. Must maximise his departure at all costs.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

13. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Agree but Cooney was wrong saying the situation is untenable. He might like to think it is but very few things are in the Afl. But it needs for Stringer to show Luke something positive and that he will change and he has been in the wrong. Waking up to himself. Not whinge to Cooney and say the coach doesn't like him. Or is it just Cooney assuming?
    To hard to tell in where fans are with the info we have. But if what Cooney said is true, I couldn't support the club any stronger. Maybe Stringer needed to see there was a consequence to his actions, and will fight to stay. Or he won't. But if Cooney is correct, then this has to happen to stay and be professional, or leave and let us recruit or trade in some talent with our compo.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still hopeful that the kangas offer pick 4. Didn't they give pick 12 for Jed Anderson ?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Must maximise his departure at all costs.
    Yep, no bargain basements. The worse case scenario, I would rather he doesn't get traded than be given away. He can then sit out the season and be told to stay away from the club and players.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yep, no bargain basements. The worse case scenario, I would rather he doesn't get traded than be given away. He can then sit out the season and be told to stay away from the club and players.
    Yep. If it's unders, we can get unders next year.

But I think when the auction starts, if it hasn't already, we should get a good price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I'm still hopeful that the kangas offer pick 4. Didn't they give pick 12 for Jed Anderson ?
    That would be perfect, pick 4 plus Goldy. North ain't going no where either. for a few years.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.