Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rookie List Strategy 2018

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I still can't work out what approach we should use with our rookie list.
    Do we look to add an experienced player, do we look to raid the state leagues for players that could offer us something during the season or do we just add more youngsters that might develop into something special later on?

I tend to think we have enough developing types so I'm leaning towards getting a player that might have previously been on another senior list
    Ben Kennedy is rising fast up my list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Ben Kennedy is rising fast up my list.
    He wouldn't be on mine, he's been a disappointment
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

He wouldn't be on mine, he's been a disappointment
    Admittedly I haven't followed him very closely, but he was good in 2016 and for whatever reason, didn't get an opportunity this year despite what seems to be some consistent form in the VFL.

What formerly listed players what you be targeting?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Admittedly I haven't followed him very closely, but he was good in 2016 and for whatever reason, didn't get an opportunity this year despite what seems to be some consistent form in the VFL.

What formerly listed players what you be targeting?
    I'm not sure, I'd like a ruckman but there will be some players unlucky not to get a spot.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we have to assume that we will get a large number of injuries - like every other year - and should ensure that we have some ready to go types on the rookie list.

6. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I guess we have to assume that we will get a large number of injuries - like every other year - and should ensure that we have some ready to go types on the rookie list.
    Sad, but true. I saw a clip of former Melbourne Trengove, my reading was that he's hoping for a rookie list spot as a mature/ready to go type. I wouldn't main list him, but I'd guess he's better than state league types for a rookie spot.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Sad, but true. I saw a clip of former Melbourne Trengove, my reading was that he's hoping for a rookie list spot as a mature/ready to go type. I wouldn't main list him, but I'd guess he's better than state league types for a rookie spot.
    Someone like him would also offer so much for the VFL side and mentor some of the younger players and in the event of injuries could come in an play a role.

Rookie lists should consist of 2 of the better youngsters, an experienced type and a ruckman but that all depends on the state of your list.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone like him would also offer so much for the VFL side and mentor some of the younger players and in the event of injuries could come in an play a role.

Rookie lists should consist of 2 of the better youngsters, an experienced type and a ruckman but that all depends on the state of your list.
    Which category do you put NMM into? Youngster or ruckman? (If he grows a little more, having rucked through the TAC)
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Which category do you put NMM into? Youngster or ruckman? (If he grows a little more, having rucked through the TAC)
    Youngster, I think he is a chance to make it to a senior spot.
    I think he is 194cm which means he could do some support ruck work as a forward. He's put in some decent results as a defender as well. He might be a Jack of all Trades but master on none but I'm hoping for more.

11. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So you think a mature, ready to go and a ruckman this rookie draft. I think you'd like a set of Trengove's & what for your ruckman? State league, delistee or another project ruckman?

Post Thanks / Like

So you think a mature, ready to go and a ruckman this rookie draft. I think you'd like a set of Trengove's & what for your ruckman? State league, delistee or another project ruckman?
    If you assume we have Roughead, Campbell* and English with support from Trengove and Boyd then we have a good balance. NMM might even factor into that if he has a good season. It's certainly better than what we had last year because of 12 months development into English (but he really needs another season) and Trengove's versatility. I put an * next to Campbell because there is some concerns if we can just keep him as a back up to Roughead and as an assurance until English is ready. This is why I think we should look at a state league type ruckman as a rookie to cover Campbell if/when he does get traded.

Post Thanks / Like

And there's the romantic notion of the possibility of the two Jacksons playing together in one team at last as well.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

If we were looking for a rookie who could play significant football if needed then Nick Suban would be ideal given it doesn't look like Freo will give him a contract.
    It's probably not fashionable to have a tagger but Suban could also lock down opponents.

Post Thanks / Like

If we were looking for a rookie who could play significant football if needed then Nick Suban would be ideal given it doesn't look like Freo will give him a contract.
    It's probably not fashionable to have a tagger but Suban could also lock down opponents.
    I think 1 rookie list spot should always be for a tried and true player ie. Suban or even Z Clarke.

They would be good insurance options and they would be able to assist in the development of young players - presuming you pick players with good character etc.

As for who ours should be, I'm not sure but we could do worse than Suban. Leaning towards a ruck though - especially if Campbell goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I think 1 rookie list spot should always be for a tried and true player ie. Suban or even Z Clarke.

They would be good insurance options and they would be able to assist in the development of young players - presuming you pick players with good character etc.

As for who ours should be, I'm not sure but we could do worse than Suban. Leaning towards a ruck though - especially if Campbell goes.
    Thinking much the same. If we could land Schache an article today mentioned Campbell might go for a fresh start. In a compartmentalised sense, I'd put Schache in the tall forwards column and remove Campbell from the ruck column. Which in effect means our reserve ruck which Bevo may not rate then sits on the rookie list and not the primary list. I like this balance.

Then add a kid and we have our 4. Then whether there's any Cat B options, and if Dalrymple has interest in them.