Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is this what I think it is?

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Jagged a flag early? How do you figure?
    You thought we were ready for a flag last year?

I figure we got one "early" based on the fact that we'd played finals once in the past handful of years, that we hadn't won a final for a long time, that we had a young list and that we had a horror draw for that finals series. I'm not suggesting it was undeserved, but that realistically, 2019+ were our years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    You thought we were ready for a flag last year?

I figure we got one "early" based on the fact that we'd played finals once in the past handful of years, that we hadn't won a final for a long time, that we had a young list and that we had a horror draw for that finals series. I'm not suggesting it was undeserved, but that realistically, 2019+ were our years.
    We were very unlucky in 2015 given we played Adelaide on the MCG rather than Etihad in a final with a leaked game plan and still ran them to a kick. I think we could have caused another upset had we got through that game
    We were a top 4 side in 2016 and were just a bit unlucky with the draw that year playing the likes of Carlton and a weakened Essendon just once. We then dropped a game late in the year that would have given us 16 wins during the home and away season. I don't buy some of the comments I hear that we just got on a roll at the right time. We were genuine top 4 contenders who got the job done

Back to the jagged one early comments, even if we got one early it implies that we are close or close to being due again. When will that be? To me we have to now get back into being a top 8 side again and at the moment there appears to be no quick fix
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Likes bornadog, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the general perception was that we won a year or two early . This year proves how you have to always look to getting better .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I think the general perception was that we won a year or two early . This year proves how you have to always look to getting better .
    So after a 62 year wait the consensus is we won one early. When people say we won one early it implies we are still in contention and are set-up for a sustained period yet 12 months after we won it we collapsed like a deck chair.

I think we meekly handed back the advantage we had and we now don't now where we are positioned. Based on where we are, we certainly didn't win one early.

Post Thanks / Like

So after a 62 year wait the consensus is we won one early. When people say we won one early it implies we are still in contention and are set-up for a sustained period yet 12 months after we won it we collapsed like a deck chair.

I think we meekly handed back the advantage we had and we now don't now where we are positioned. Based on where we are, we certainly didn't win one early.
    True, but would say 12 months ago Richmond would be in contention ? Had 3 years of finals, a stinker and now back in contention .
    Lot can change in 12 months

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    True, but would say 12 months ago Richmond would be in contention ? Had 3 years of finals, a stinker and now back in contention .
    Lot can change in 12 months
    But if they win it how could anyone say they won it early? What are they comparing it to?

If they win it I can't see why it would be regarded as a fluke or that they jagged one, they have been a good team all season and if they win it that is the reason why.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess with us it was our list demographic . One of Our issues was attitude this year , and I don't think that could be argued against .
    Not saying for a moment we don't have list issues ( even the top 4 this year has) just putting it out there that a lot can change in 12 months .

Post Thanks / Like

Don't underestimate Young, he will be a freak , mark my words . Or as they say now " take it to the bank"
    Bring back the biff

10. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But if they win it how could anyone say they won it early? What are they comparing it to?

If they win it I can't see why it would be regarded as a fluke or that they jagged one, they have been a good team all season and if they win it that is the reason why.
    Yeah I don't understand the we won one early line. We may not win one for another 25 years. It's hard to win won, you win it you've earned it.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

We were very unlucky in 2015 given we played Adelaide on the MCG rather than Etihad in a final with a leaked game plan and still ran them to a kick. I think we could have caused another upset had we got through that game
    We were a top 4 side in 2016 and were just a bit unlucky with the draw that year playing the likes of Carlton and a weakened Essendon just once. We then dropped a game late in the year that would have given us 16 wins during the home and away season. I don't buy some of the comments I hear that we just got on a roll at the right time. We were genuine top 4 contenders who got the job done

Back to the jagged one early comments, even if we got one early it implies that we are close or close to being due again. When will that be? To me we have to now get back into being a top 8 side again and at the moment there appears to be no quick fix
    At least we know that every year that we do contend that this group can go all the way. There is no luxury of saying "oh well they will need a finals series to work out what finals are like."
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Yeah I don't understand the we won one early line. We may not win one for another 25 years. It's hard to win won, you win it you've earned it.
    I don't get the confusion. With the composition of our list most people would have expected it'd be 2-3 years until the majority of our good players were mature/in their prime at which point we'd be best placed to win a premiership. Why is this a controversial or demeaning idea? If anything it's a compliment to the players that they were able to do what they did.

14. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I don't get the confusion. With the composition of our list most people would have expected it'd be 2-3 years until the majority of our good players were mature/in their prime at which point we'd be best placed to win a premiership. Why is this a controversial or demeaning idea? If anything it's a compliment to the players that they were able to do what they did.
    On face value makes sense. But it feels too limiting for mine. If we are content with windows and five year plans etc you miss the opportunities in the present. 15/16 we were good enough on our day, 15 we couldn't string together enough days, 16 we did and a flag wagged. There is enough talent in the list to hold the club's 'no ceiling' narrative above the more popular development/future focus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    On face value makes sense. But it feels too limiting for mine. If we are content with windows and five year plans etc you miss the opportunities in the present. 15/16 we were good enough on our day, 15 we couldn't string together enough days, 16 we did and a flag wagged. There is enough talent in the list to hold the club's 'no ceiling' narrative above the more popular development/future focus.
    Of course you don't approach the actual season that way but most of the group hadn't even won a final yet. To come in and win 4 was a massive out of the box achievement that no one could have expected.

17. Likes SonofScray liked this post