Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this what I think it is?

Is everything we've heard to date pointing towards a diagnosis of a mini re-build?

We are staring down the retirement of our two (now) former captains from the HB line. Possibly losing from the forward line are Crameri, Stringer and Cloke (if the rumours were true). Then culling Hamilton & Honeychurch. At best Morris & Cloke if he plays on has just one year.

That's possibly as many as 1,300 games experience gone in 12 months, who when fit and in form were best 22 (ex. H & HC). I know injuries lessened their roles this year, which also aligns with our drop off. But are we just re-setting things, or is this now a mini re-build to relaunch the dynasty dream? And now a big effort between Dal & JMac to either trade or draft ourselves back up.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Becc Guest

Re: Is this what I think it is?

Interesting theory

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it was this year if you look at the age of the players coming in.
    Especially the backline
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Is everything we've heard to date pointing towards a diagnosis of a mini re-build?

We are staring down the retirement of our two (now) former captains from the HB line. Possibly losing from the forward line are Crameri, Stringer and Cloke (if the rumours were true). Then culling Hamilton & Honeychurch. At best Morris & Cloke if he plays on has just one year.

That's possibly as many as 1,300 games experience gone in 12 months, who when fit and in form were best 22 (ex. H & HC). I know injuries lessened their roles this year, which also aligns with our drop off. But are we just re-setting things, or is this now a mini re-build to relaunch the dynasty dream? And now a big effort between Dal & JMac to either trade or draft ourselves back up.
    No it's a re-jig. The bulk of our Premiership heroes were young guns, only Moz and Boyd over 30 and Picko approaching that mark. The balance of the squad are kids really. We are moving on players surplus to needs and / or undertaking a forced clean up of some mess that has been spilt towards the latter half of the year. I only expect possibly two new faces playing senior games next year in Trengove and possibly one other and I fully expect to make the 8.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

BT, thanks for starting a very good and hopefully a thought provoking thread. We didn't do well during last years trade period and then drafted for the future (as you probably should) at the National and Preseason drafts so yes the list needs some sort of a refresh.

As you have pointed out we have Stringer, Crameri, Cloke and Honeychurch possibly all waiting in the departure lounge and we've lost a wealth of experience in Murphy and M.Boyd and then Prudden and Hamilton as players that never quite reached their potential. There must also be a question mark on Roarke Smith. Perhaps we could delist and re-rookie him.

We've been strongly linked to versatile tall Jackson Trengove who should be a good addition and I suspect we could look to a couple of other players with a bit experience.

So yes we need to refresh the playing list but the hard question to answer is if we intend to do it by a) chasing players with some experience (the likes of Menzel, Rockcliff and Martin) as a quick fix or b) with some of the players with not a lot of senior experience (Francis or Schache) that help us next season but more down the future or c) if we just go all in for the draft and play the longer game.

We might even do a bit of all 3.

The next couple of weeks will be a fascinating time for us and very different to how we fronted up to trade period last year where we were clearly dizzy and contented after winning 2 flags.
    This time we will have a clear head and hopefully a solid plan on how we want to enter the 2018 season.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Likes Max469, bulldogtragic, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting you mention Menzel. I'm still concerned over his knees, but one poster said he's only been offered a one year deal on less money. Stevo says Geelong are after Crameri on a two year deal. If the club were happy with his knees, I wonder if that's just a straight swap if we identify the need for a medium forward and are dealing with Geelong.

At least if the bigger names leave, there's a lot of salary cap to make good decision with.

What's the difference with a 'mini rebuild', 're-jig' and 'refresh'?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Menzel would be a decent addition . I can see value in a bit of all three

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting you mention Menzel. I'm still concerned over his knees, but one poster said he's only been offered a one year deal on less money. Stevo says Geelong are after Crameri on a two year deal. If the club were happy with his knees, I wonder if that's just a straight swap if we identify the need for a medium forward and are dealing with Geelong.

At least if the bigger names leave, there's a lot of salary cap to make good decision with.

I mentioned Menzel because he is a noted goal kicker and we have some massive questions in that area (Cloke, Dickson, Crameri and Stringer) plus he might come into play if Geelong get very active in their chase for Stringer.

I think using the word rebuild is something clubs like ours stay away from, using refresh (to me) means we have the talent on the playing list and just need to compliment with some astute additions.

It's all just a marketing play on words though

Post Thanks / Like

Ask David Smorgon.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Ask David Smorgon.
    Zing. Touché TD, touché.

Post Thanks / Like

Zing. Touché TD, touché.
    He had quite a journey didn't he? From the "anything other than a Grand Final would be a failure" comment in 2011 to "it's a refresh" to "OK it's a rebuild" in 2012 to standing out on the MCG with an ecstatic look on GF day in 2016.

Footy is a funny game.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

It's refresh. We've eeked good mileage out of Boyd and Murphy; Crammers is done and we assess his injury to be chronic and unlikely to improve; Pride, Hamilton and Honeychurch are surplus for a variety of reasons, but mainly because we have better players in their positions. Stringer is the real dilemma. At fit, focused Stringer is the complete package....Gary Albert/Wayne Carey like in his ability to change a game! All these guys come with issues and challenges - the trick is to harness this for as long as possible before it becomes destructive

15. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the logic stands. We jagged a flag early and the forward line certainly is makeshift, along with a few other parts of the ground. We have the talent in the core of our team to be a threat but still need some more talent.

Stringer moving on is a shock and we'll struggle to replace that level of talent IMO, but it is what it is.

17. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I think the logic stands. We jagged a flag early and the forward line certainly is makeshift, along with a few other parts of the ground. We have the talent in the core of our team to be a threat but still need some more talent.

Stringer moving on is a shock and we'll struggle to replace that level of talent IMO, but it is what it is.
    Jagged a flag early? How do you figure?

Post Thanks / Like

I really like Menzel. I think he's got a few tricks and if we are confident his keens can hold up I would look at him very closely. That said I'm not sure who I prefer out of him and Crameri.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.